fbpx

Fenton Factory closing

Home Forums Miscellany Community Fenton Factory closing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    lamortefille
    Participant

This is sad news for me, even though I mostly collect vintage glass. I think it really illustrates that no matter how many collectors clubs, web rings or squeakers there are, things just run down sometimes…

http://www.cbs59.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=27681

lamortefille
      Participant

I’m sorry to hear that.. I have a cobalt glass clock I got from my mother for a graduation present. I love it.

Elena
        Participant

sorry to hear that 😕 It sucks when art stuff closes.

Wow, that is sad that they have to close after 102 years.

Bob

nothing can last forever and now all there work is collectable no matter how old it is

Travistie
            Participant

That is a real shock! That company was one of the finest… if not the finest glassmaker of our time. I visited the facotry a few times, and had many of their pieces. It’s a shame something like that has to happen.

siberakh1
              Participant

ACK!!!! I just managed to start collecting last year! There are a few stores near me with hoards of Fenton, so I’m sure they will still have their stock for some time, until they exhaust it (some of it is way retired… just until the right person comes along). My mom has a bunch of old milk glass and some depression glass (not sure if the depression glass is Fenton… it’s UV reactive :twisted:). This is very sad 🙁 I’d always look forward to their shows on QVC too. I hope a restructuring offer/plan does come through by the end of the month *sniff sniff*. It doesn’t help that we are very likely heading into a recession, from what has been going on with the money markets at the moment (sub-prime mortgages, over inflation of housing prices/values). The arts always get hit first 😥 😥 *hugs my fenton and windstones*

Bob

try Real Estate in NO Ca if you want over inflated prices!!!

Maria
                  Participant

They’ve got to be kidding! I’m so sad to hear it – I only discovered their stuff a couple weeks ago!
                    What an awful pity. How I hate companies who make and sell cheap junk.

Travistie
                    Participant

It’s a real shame… it really is. They made so many beautiful colors! I think I had about 10 different colored glass owls. I loved the Favrene and Chocolate Slag colors.

Maria
                      Participant

I really wanted more Carnival Glass. I bet the prices for the pieces on E-Bay will go up now, though.

siberakh1
                        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I really wanted more Carnival Glass. I bet the prices for the pieces on E-Bay will go up now, though.

For now, they may not. Pieces that they no longer make are just that. There is also soooooo much fenton and different pieces and people with so many different preferences, I don’t think I’d expect to see a huge jump in prices. They are also still producing through the end of the year. I know my mom and I went through pieces on line today (I called her from work and we went through stuff over the phone). If nothing else, I’m going to at least print out some of their catalogs from online (or save pictures of them) so I can go back for reference for things that I was hoping to get down the road. In time, as things become more and more retired, prices may go up, but it will probably vary like anything else to who is selling what and what people are looking for on any given day. Certain things, like depression glass, are just really sought after because that type of glass is no longer made (it contains a little bit of uranium in it, so it reacts to UV light… was cheap to get back in the depression, not so much now – and a lot of it probably hasn’t survived).

Travistie
                          Participant

Yeah, I’m starting to wish I hadn’t of sold all mine a few months ago. I had a few carnival glass pieces. Favrene is gorgeous though. There is genuine silver in the finish of pieces done in that color. They are highly sought after by collectors.

Maria
                            Participant

Thanls. siberakh. That’s good news, I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.