Featherwurm's PYOs! (Mackerel Flapcat Completed 6/14 – Page 2)

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Featherwurm's PYOs! (Mackerel Flapcat Completed 6/14 – Page 2)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Featherwurm
    Participant

Oh I am so very excited. The partner asked for his first PYO for his birthday a little later this month, and I decided to order one up for myself as well (I’ve been agonizing over wanting one for months, having known of them for about as long as they’ve been available but just now hit with the bug to make one). He’ll be tackling a Foo Papa (it’s his first PYO too), and I’ll be trying a smooth-scale Kirin. The package just arrived yesterday! Excitement!

Now, we are waiting until his birthday to open them (I figure it’s only fair to wait on mine, as working on it in front of him might make him sad). I’ve got orange eyes for the kirin, his foo will have yellow eyes and topaz stones. I’m thinking some koi pattern for the kirin, but we’ll see (I know this isn’t an uncommon motif, but I do love koi and I think I might have a more unusual pattern in mind than orange and white). He’s got a storm motif brewing in his mind for the Foo, knowing him, it will be very meticulous.

I’ll be documenting both here as we work on them. Nothing to look at yet, but we’re waiting patiently until a little later in the month to begin.

I sense this may become a regular hobby if things go well, this looks like so much fun.

EEE!

dragonmedley
      Participant

Now, we are waiting until his birthday to open them

Now that’s torture…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Ela_Hara
        Participant

Now that’s torture…

Ahhh YAY! Torture for all of us too!
          Now WE will also have to wait to see what you guys paint! πŸ˜€

GOOD LUCK! Can’t wait to see how your PYOs come out. πŸ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
          Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
          Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
          *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Prezaurian
          Participant

Looking forward to seeing them! Good luck and have fun!

Lauren
            Participant

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you, and I can’t wait to see the in-progress (and completed project!) photos. (Can’t wait to get to start doing this myself….)

I think even though the koi pattern is kind of common there is a reason for it. It just happens to look very nice, and I think that there’s a lot you can do with it. And since it is *your* statue, you can certainly go all out and do fantasy koirin patterns or whatever you’ve got in mind.

Falcolf
              Participant

Good luck!! Painting these things is so much fun! πŸ˜€ I have two blanks right now sitting and staring at me, going “Paaaaint usss, paaaaint uss!!”

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Featherwurm
                Participant

Now that’s torture…

Ahhh YAY! Torture for all of us too!
                  Now WE will also have to wait to see what you guys paint! πŸ˜€

GOOD LUCK! Can’t wait to see how your PYOs come out. πŸ™‚

Hah, and quite a wait indeed. A couple busy weeks at work are keeping me distracted but I just can’t wait to begin!

We should be able to start some time next week, you guys are all so fantastic in your encouragement, thank you all!

Featherwurm
                  Participant

Cat had an excellent birthday and we’re both ready to go now! I just bought some various paints this morning (I was a little low on my usual colors, I think I’ve been painting more than usual, and I needed some interference paint).

I think I’m going to get some better photos of these guys all blank before painting, but I’m hoping to get a base coat on mine this afternoon!

Featherwurm
                    Participant

Err… not too much to look at yet but I’m happy with how things are coming along. Just an undercoat of color so far, I’m afraid this photo is making things look messier than they are.

I decided to go with a goldfish look. Still have a lot of detail to go.

Featherwurm
                      Participant

Oh man I just finished painting up the details and I am so happy with this. Just needs a clear coat and the eyes and pad added now! I’ll get better photos that show off the iridescent scale details when it’s completed. Hm… needs a name too I suppose.

rock-reader
                        Participant

Beautiful! Nice concept and detailing! Can’t wait to see it finished πŸ™‚

Adaneth
                          Participant

Very nice work! πŸ™‚

Featherwurm
                            Participant

There are no words for how absolutely delighted I am with this! This is amazingly fun, and I’m so pleased with the result. The details of the sculpt and the solidity of the cast are an absolute joy to paint.

I will absolutely be painting more when I have a bit of income to spend on other sculpts.

Named for the species that her coloration belongs to, this goldfish colored Ki-Rin was painted with a combination of liquitex, golden, maimeri, and pebo acrylic paints including Pebo ‘DYNA’ orange for irridecent details on the scales. She is sealed with creamcoat gloss acrylic.

I’ll probably get more pictures on a sunnier day as well, to show off more of the nice iridescence. The Pebo ‘DYNA’ paints are not quite like Golden’s interference paints (they have a base color and do not become milky when applied heavily, however because of the colored body they do not wash as easily), but their effect is very shiny and pretty.

Ela_Hara
                              Participant

Very pretty! Congrats on such a great first PYO – it looks marvelous! How’s your partner’s Foo Father coming along? πŸ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                                Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Featherwurm
                                Participant

Very pretty! Congrats on such a great first PYO – it looks marvelous! How’s your partner’s Foo Father coming along? πŸ™‚

Thank you very much! I’m very pleased and surprised at how things worked.

He just started tonight! I’ll post his once he has the first wash on, and then on from there. He’s enjoying things so far. It will probably take him longer than it did for me, given the bigger and more complex sculpt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.