fbpx

Feather Heart Creations Art Thread~Update 2/12/09

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Feather Heart Creations Art Thread~Update 2/12/09

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nina
    Participant
      Nina
      Participant

Lokie
        Participant

That beaver is really cute! And the ACEOs are really nice; looks like you really developed a style and look for your dragons =]

Nina
          Participant

Thanks πŸ™‚ it’s funny that’s just what my husband said about my dragons. I think I finally have a style!

Maria
            Participant

I really love that beaver. You’ve gotten so good at your animals.

Starbreeze
              Participant

Your dragons are awesome!!! I love the little beaver too. πŸ˜€

Nina
                Participant

My newest mini sculpture. This dragon bust is only 2.5″ tall

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20996658

Maria
                  Participant

I saw that bust on DA (and discovered your Etsy store on account of it). It’s very nicely done, though please be careful in copying Melody’s kirin scales.

Nina
                    Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I saw that bust on DA (and discovered your Etsy store on account of it). It’s very nicely done, though please be careful in copying Melody’s kirin scales.

WTF I wasn’t in anyway trying to copy anything of hers never even thought about her kirins or their scales just sculpted a tiny dragon bust πŸ™„ Sorry I hate being accused of copying someone else’s work.

Nina
                      Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Oh and actually it looks like Melody copied the scale design for both the Kirins and her Oriental dragons for traditional Asian dragon sculptures. I have a few very, very old (taking 100 year old) dragon pottery that has this same scale pattern. So I guess we both copy πŸ˜›

Tally Mark
                        Participant

And I know where the asian dragon sculptors copied their scales from. ^_~

http://theartofnature.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fish-scales-01.gif

Really, scales are just about the least copyrightable of all designs…because scales of all kinds are found in nature! πŸ™‚ Particular and unique scale layouts, now that’s different…but scales are scales. It doesn’t even count as ‘copying’ because you’re trying to make a creature look realistic…best way to do it is draw from nature.

Lovely scales on that dragon btw, lol.

Nina
                          Participant

Tally Mark wrote:

And I know where the asian dragon sculptors copied their scales from. ^_~

http://theartofnature.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fish-scales-01.gif

Really, scales are just about the least copyrightable of all designs…because scales of all kinds are found in nature! πŸ™‚ Particular and unique scale layouts, now that’s different…but scales are scales. It doesn’t even count as ‘copying’ because you’re trying to make a creature look realistic…best way to do it is draw from nature.

Lovely scales on that dragon btw, lol.
                            Thank you for that, great point! So true on the koi scales, I don’t see how anyone can say I’m copying anything when it’s something like scales. Now if I had made a Kirin with glass eyes in the same colors as windstone’s with those scales then yeah I could see that. But like you said scales are scales πŸ™‚ and there are only so many ways of making scales….I was trying to be original but I guess I failed.

Jennifer
                            Keymaster

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I don’t see any problem. Those scales are generic enough and occur in nature. It’s only when pieces have a Windstone style or feel to them that it’s a problem.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                              My art: featherdust.com

Nina
                              Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I don’t see any problem. Those scales are generic enough and occur in nature. It’s only when pieces have a Windstone style or feel to them that it’s a problem.
                                thanks Nam that’s what I was thinking. Again scales are scales, I could see if I had glass eyes & style, paint job, etc…
                                But I guess I should take it as a compliment having my work compared to Melody’s in any way shape or form, because my work is no where are good.

Maria
                                Participant

Okay. I’m kinda confused by now as to what constitutes copyright disregard and what doesn’t. Don’t mind me, I guess. πŸ˜›

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.