Fantasy Creature name

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Fantasy Creature name

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Pegasi1978
    Participant

Bowhead Whale wrote:

Why not name your scaled Griffinidae “Avidracos”? You know, a combination of “avies” (bird) and “draco” (dragon). Just a suggestion, really. 😛

That’s an idea. And their wings are more like dragon and or bat wings than bird wings since there’s no feathers. This is one of those times when I really wish I could draw, but that is a skill I do not have at all. I’d still have to come up with a common name for them though. 😆

I actually had someone suggest something similar when I asked on another forum about the winged horse – aviequinus. That’s much closer to what I can hear in my head and heart, but I know it’s still not right.

Akeyla wrote:

I thought manticores had no wings at all, thats what I read in many books and saw in many artworks (older ones)
      Please dont bite my head off but I found rechearching in DnD books for roleplays not that good, I’d rather try to use old mythology books or online lexika
      /end twocents

Amen to that. I have never heard of manticores having wings at all either. That has never been mentioned in any of the mythology books I’ve read and, mind you, I rather trust the old, original descriptions of the creatures than some new RPG monster manuals which, not just often, but most of the time take quite a lot of artistic freedom.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.