Email verification for Classifieds?

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback Email verification for Classifieds?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nightcrow
    Participant

A few days ago I posted a Classified Ad with no hitches, but today it’s giving me the same runaround about having ‘saved my ad’ but needing to verify my email before it can be viewed. There’s no suggestion that a verification email has been sent (and a brief check of my email account shows no messages from WE) and no link to click on to cause it to send one.

I haven’t tested whether it will eat my ad despite saying it’s saved (as it has other times when the verification message came up), but I’m copy-pasting just in case. πŸ™‚

Can anyone figure out what’s causing this weird glitch about emails? It’s the same email account I’ve had since forever, and definitely the same one I had when posting an ad successfully three days ago! The ads are different types (successful one was a For Sale, unsuccessful was a Wanted) but that’s all I can think of that’s different, aside from the brief time period and one not having a thumbnail image or set price; both were text ads with HTML images inserted, both were posted from a computer running Windows & using Firefox. (Come to think of it, I did post them from different computers! The successful one was posted from my laptop, the other from a desktop. Could this somehow be at issue?? I was logged in both times, obviously, with my only WE account name, so how would it even know?)

Thanks for any assistance!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

etruscan
      Participant

Is it the same version of Windows on both the laptop and desktop? No idea if this would matter, but it might!

Nightcrow
        Participant

Honestly, I don’t know; the laptop belongs to me, but the desktop belongs to my parents, so I’m not 100% sure of its specs. If anything, though, it’s probably a *newer*, not older, version than my laptop runs. The laptop runs Windows 7 Pro, the desktop probably runs either Win7 (non-Pro) or ???? Definitely not Win8.

Oh, and I should perhaps note that the browser on my laptop is set NOT to remember anything after the browsing window is closed, so I’m sure it’s not a cache thing of the “the site remembered your verification because it was done on the computer you usually use” variety – in fact, every time I log in the forums think it’s the first time and try to give me tips. πŸ™‚ So it can’t be an actual email verification issue, as far as I can see!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Nightcrow
          Participant

UPDATE:

Tried again today from the Laptop. Same problem, could not successfully post a Wanted ad because my email address supposedly isn’t verified. πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™

BUT I was able to post a For Sale ad! So it seems to be something specific to the Wanted category?

Rylorien
            Participant

A week or so ago I was fiddling with ads when I figured out how it bugs out. (At least, how it bugs out in one specific way which may or may not be the same way it does for you.) I did tell Clay about it too so it’s not an unknown at this point.

It has to do with how you edit the ad before publishing it.

After filling out the forms you have a chance to edit. At the top are 3 options: Edit Text, Manage Images, Finish. At the bottom is “Edit Ad” in purple text. Only the buttons at the top are linked to the ad creation process. If you peruse your ad then go to make changes by clicking on Edit Ad at the bottom (instead of scrolling up to use the buttons), you WILL bug out the system. By using Edit Ad, you are essentially trying to alter an ad that HAS NOT YET BEEN CREATED so the system says WTF?!?! when you finally finish it. This prompts the phantom verification email.

I’m assuming that’s what you did–I just made a another test ad in this way and the bug is still there.

GardenNinja
              Participant

Clay has tried to fix it. It turns out that the code for the “Edit Ad” button is pretty deeply embedded. When he tried to remove it, it got removed from already created ads, too, and messed up a bunch of other things. He reverted the code to before the edit instead of trying to fix the fix.
                I think he has worked on it more cautiously since then, because some things have changed in how the ads work since then.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.