Ebay Male “Grey with blood stained eyes” Rare or not?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Ebay Male “Grey with blood stained eyes” Rare or not?

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PAMELA HOSS
    Participant

There’s an eBay listing for a male Griffin “Grey” with yellow eyes that have red lines going through them. I’m debating on buying because he’s posted it for 698.00 and the lowest is $660 plus 98$ for shipping! I googled but couldn’t find an answer! Is he really “Rare” and vintage as he has posted or should I go elsewhere? It’s been posted for at least 4 months! Thank you for your time! Pam

etruscan
      Participant

Well, it’s hard to say. He probably is unique but his value may depend on what happened to his eyes. The griffin looks like one of the “Silver Wolf” griffins that Windstone sells. They are out of stock at the moment.

Male Griffin – Silver Wolf color

The eyes should be plain grey. The eyes on this either are not original, meaning the original eyes have been removed and new eyes substituted by an owner, or there was a mistake painting the eyes. I believe that Windstone buys unpainted eyes and then adds the color to them.

It probably would be best to ask Susie about this. She is the Windstone customer service person and should know if any other “Silver Wolf” griffins have peculiar eyes. Her email is susie@windstoneeditions.com

In the end, the decision about value probably is yours. If you want to own a unique piece and don’t care if the eyes might have been replaced, or like owning one with a factory mistake (assuming that is what happened), AND are happy with the price, then you probably should buy him. Otherwise, you always can put your name on the “Waitlist” for the “Silver Wolf” male griffins.

frozendragon
        Participant

I’ve seen this listing before, they are the original eyes but something has leaked on and stained the right side, it’s gotten up under they eye and looks rusty. The left side doesn’t seem to be affected really. It may have been something that reacted with the glue, but I certainly wouldn’t call it special enough to pay that for it. Get on the wait list and get a new one. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Just my opinion.

Bodancia
          Participant

That seems excessively high for a Silver Wolf male griffin. Something odd is going on with the eyes, but that doesn’t warrant the price they are asking.

Always looking for a lovely GB Young Unicorns, TP Male Dragons or TP Male Griffins!

Melody
            Keymaster

I looked at that listing… I don’t know what it is. The eyes look authentic, though it is very hard to tell from the pics. A stain added later would not affect our fired glass, even if it ran under them. They are solid fused glass.
              I would ask the seller if they know the history of the griffin, and if there is a signature or markings on the bottom. There is always the possibility that one of our employees made a special one for themselves, and it turned up on eBay.
              The way the “blood” shows on the griffin’s cheek is weird. We would not have painted them like that!
              Olimpia did experiment with swirled colors on the fired glass eyes, and they did look like that, but using the special eyes in a production silver wolf griffin is odd. Most of the special eyes went into special pieces that Olimpia painted.
              So in my expert opinion… I dunno.

VS
              Participant

I strongly suspect some kid got at the one eye with a red sharpie, thus why there’s red on the sculpt near the one glass eye, and no red on the other eye. It’s not rare, it’s technically “damaged”. It’s been up there forever.

PAMELA HOSS
                Participant

Reply To: Ebay Male “Grey with blood stained eyes” Rare or not?Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely be checking in again before I spend a lot of money! I’m very happy that I trusted my gut and posted this first…many thanks again!! Pam

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

I had a careful look at the images on this listing and enlarged them to examine on my computer, and while it’s not impossible that a weird griffin made it out of the factory (as Melody said), it truly does look like the color is on the surface exterior of the glass eye… very much like someone took a red marker or transparent paint to it, then tried to remove it. It’s why there’s a ridge of color closer to the interior of the eye, where it’s harder to wipe off. I personally would consider it damaged and probably worth less than a new one, unless provided with evidence to the contrary.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

I agree with the others. I don’t think it’s special at all. I was asked about this listing by a few people and it seems liek a waste of money to me. Seems like something ran down the eye and either got behind it or the eye itself is somehow swapped out or defective. It’s basically a damaged griffin… not a “special” one. That’s just my 2 cents.

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.