Ebay bidding/best offer

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Ebay bidding/best offer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lisa
    Participant

I have a question about ebay auctions for windstones. Traditionally when I see a “best offer” on an auction, I assume you offer LESS than the starting bid, but sometimes I see a sculpt that has a seemingly low starting bid with an option for best offer. Do these sellers think someone is going to offer MORE than their starting bid? It’s just a bit confusing. What do you think, would you put best offer if you wanted more (isn’t that what bidding is for, drive up the price)?

Grail: Poad (achievement unlocked!) Am now on the hunt for almost any color scratching dragon

fatalbeauty
      Participant

from what I’ve heard, Ebay tends to add Best Offer in despite people not wanting it there….Ebay likes to “help” you by adding in things you opted out of from what I’ve seen of their forums……as far as BO or auctions, when I used to sell, I never used them, I generally just picked the price I wanted then put the item up for that as a BIN……

4 things I'm looking for:
        1. Mother Meerkat
        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
        3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

etruscan
        Participant

I always figured that the low bid/best offer arrangement was so somebody who really wanted the piece could make a high offer and grab it.
          However, the Best Offer option goes away as soon as there is a bid, so Fatal’s explanation makes sense.

Kujacker
          Participant

Well. I recently purchased a rare video game on ebay. I didn’t want to deal with bidding, or possibly having it be bid up beyond what I really wanted to pay (as I’ve seen this a lot for the game), so I actually submitted an offer for more than they started the auction for. It was accepted and now I have the game without dealing with any of the hassle.
            So no. As mentioned above in the thread and my reply, it’s useful if you really want an item. Though yes, I think most people would assume you would only offer something lower than the asking price. That being said, as a seller, you obviously don’t have to accept any of the offers… so whether it’s there or not doesn’t exactly mean you’ll sell the item for less than you’d want.

Lisa
            Participant

I guess I just didn’t want to insult a seller by offering less, if they had it there for people to bid more. It feels like it could just go either way. I suppose the worst that can happen is they say no. Thanks for the replies!

Grail: Poad (achievement unlocked!) Am now on the hunt for almost any color scratching dragon

Ela_Hara
              Participant

Well. I recently purchased a rare video game on ebay. I didn’t want to deal with bidding, or possibly having it be bid up beyond what I really wanted to pay (as I’ve seen this a lot for the game), so I actually submitted an offer for more than they started the auction for. It was accepted and now I have the game without dealing with any of the hassle.
                So no. As mentioned above in the thread and my reply, it’s useful if you really want an item. Though yes, I think most people would assume you would only offer something lower than the asking price. That being said, as a seller, you obviously don’t have to accept any of the offers… so whether it’s there or not doesn’t exactly mean you’ll sell the item for less than you’d want.

This is EXACTLY what I did and got what I thought was a fantastic deal on a rare WS Bobcat in very good condition. The Seller had a starting bid at a lower price and instead of getting into a potential bidding war, and with the expectation that the Seller might not have really known what they had, I offered around $100+ over their starting bid, which was immediately accepted. It was a win-win. The Seller got what they thought was a good price for the Bobcat and I got a rare piece I wanted without paying a nosebleed price!

BIN can go either way – and yes for sellers, you need to preview your auction carefully since eBay will automatically add the BIN option sometimes but you can un-check that option before putting your auction live.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Nightcrow
                Participant

As others have said – this is a thing Ebay tends to push on sellers, even when a lot of them don’t want it (so a lot of them will put it up, but won’t accept an offer less than the starting bid), and it seems to be mostly used as a form of “Buy It Now” where the seller is open to the buyer suggesting a BIN price.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.