fbpx

Ebay Advice – Shipping Times?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Ebay Advice – Shipping Times?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rachelled
    Participant

I just need some reassurance here (or, if I am not in the right, advice on how to proceed).

I always specify in the handling times of my eBay listings that it’s “10 days from receiving cleared payment.” I don’t have access to a car at the moment, and when I do, it’s kind of a crapshoot because it’s a very old car, so I tend to hitch a ride with my husband on his off-days, or ask a favour from a nearby family member. Not that this is anyone else’s problem, but it’s why I specified that in the shipping details, and I haven’t had any problems so far in my years of selling. It rarely takes that long anyway, it’s more of a safety measure.

Today was day five, and I know I’d be wondering around this time if I were the buyer, so I sent them a message just to keep them updated. I also let them know that I was waiting on the money transfer from Paypal to my bank, since that’s also where I get my shipping money. (Also, I live in Canada, so although the payment is sent immediately, International payments take a few days to reach my bank account from Paypal.)

They seem really annoyed, though. 🙁 I wasn’t expecting that, I replied back explaining about the handling time.

I don’t really know what else I could have done. I’m worried they’ll want to cancel the transaction.

Is it my fault for not stating it a second time in the description? I thought most people would check the “shipping and payments” section before buying, but maybe I was wrong. Maybe I should start adding that? I’ve never had to before, but maybe it’s my fault for not being extra careful.

I just feel really crummy about this and I want to make sure I handle it well, and not upset the buyer as it was never my intention…

Bodine
      Participant

I think Ebay allows a 7 day to pay you before you can do anything else?Don’t quote me on that though.Maybe they will pay you on Friday,most people’s payday.Sending a friendly reminder is the way I would handle it so as to not tick them off but to remind them in case they had not noticed they won?Perhaps?

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

rachelled
        Participant

No, they already paid me, I think they are irritated that it’s been 5 days and not shipped yet.

I think I will start mentioning that Canada Post is not open weekends, also. 🙁 At least, nowhere around here, if anywhere.

Oh, and as a bonus, my husband has been sick the past few days… like barely-leaving-bed sick. Which would free up his truck for me, but I don’t know how to drive standard, haha.

Ebay is not supposed to be stressful!

etruscan
          Participant

For this transaction I think that updating the buyer is all you can do. As you suggested, having information about shipping in your description would be good. Shipping times are particularly important at this time of year when people are shopping for Christmas presents. 🙂

Speaking for myself, I expect that all relevant information will be in the description. I almost never check “Shipping” unless the price quoted seems way off.

Kim
            Blocked

I just post everything in my description including shipping info but as soon as someone pays, I also let them know when I will be shipping the item. If I am a day or two late I always message to update the buyer because I never want to risk someone getting annoyed about shipping times. The problem with shipping from Canada to the US too is that if you wait a week to ship and the buyer is already annoyed, they will be more annoyed having to wait another week or two for it to cross the border and get to them so I always try to ship right away when I sell pieces or keep the buyer in the loop so they don’t want to leave me negative feedback. Even when I have shipped items the day after receiving payment, I have still had people message me a week later asking when they would get their package and I had to explain it could take a couple weeks to get to the US and I had no control over how fast it got there once shipped. With that said, if you explain it I would hope they would understand but now that it’s Dec. I think a lot of people will be anxious about how fast something is shipped so they make sure they get it in time for Christmas. So I guess my advice would be make sure they know when you can ship it or try and not keep them waiting too long. I think it’s better to message someone about it right away then to hope they read your description.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Scathach
              Participant

I guess it depends where you are, as far as Canada Post being open. In my area, they are open both Saturday and Sunday and long hours during the week. If you said 10 days, then I guess that’s what it is. But, honestly, I think that 10 days is a long time for the buyer to wait for you to get their purchase in the mail.

I can understand that the buyer might get a little antsy while waiting for you to ship out. Did you say why it takes you 10 days to get something in the mail? Maybe if you told them, they might be reassured?

If you are worried they might cancel the sale (although if everything is clear in the communication, I don’t think they would have a reason to cancel) then all the more reason for you to “step up” and let them know that you are an honest seller and that there are legitimate reasons for the 10 days.

Remember, buyers have fears about sellers being legit just as you as a seller might have concerns about the buyer.

The other thing would be to get the package in the mail before the 10 days and send them a reassuring email.

I hope things turn out well for both of you.

Life is beautiful.

rachelled
                Participant

I guess I’m used to always checking shipping because I live in Canada also – Meaning prices and handling times, expected arrivals etc. are different all the time! It didn’t occur to me that it wasn’t normal.

I’m taking it with me tonight to ship when we get groceries. Thankfully they’re in Canada so it should only take a few days to get to them 🙂

rachelled
                  Participant

I guess it depends where you are, as far as Canada Post being open. In my area, they are open both Saturday and Sunday and long hours during the week. If you said 10 days, then I guess that’s what it is. But, honestly, I think that 10 days is a long time for the buyer to wait for you to get their purchase in the mail.

That’s good to know. Since they are government-operated, I assumed they might all be the same or similar. Our local ones are closed weekends and have bad hours during the week. (I mean closing at 5:30, really?) I think I will update my listings to mention this.

10 days is on the longer side – it usually takes me less than a week. I only put “up to ten days” just in case.

Blight
                    Participant

No, you did good! You specified your handling times in the listing so it was their fault that they didn’t read it thoroughly, or chose to ignore it.

Five days is nothing – they should be so lucky! I often have to wait two weeks!

They may have been impatient and irritable because it’s the Christmas shopping season, and probably was in a panic sorting out their shopping. Not your fault, and they have no reason to take it out on you.

Falcolf
                      Participant

Five days is nothing – they should be so lucky! I often have to wait two weeks!/quote]

Hear, hear! I’ve had to wait a month for something on Etsy to ship before. 🙂 Five days is awesome.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.