fbpx

Dress Opinions??

Home Forums Miscellany Community Dress Opinions??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    raincry
    Participant

Hello all my fellow Windstonians. So here I have a question to ask totally unrelated to Windstone, well mostly unrelated. So I recently had my wedding. As in just got married April 10th. Yay! It was destination style in Vegas. I absolutely felt like a queen in my dress…but now we are starting to pack as our lease is up at the end of next month and we are changing apartments and I am left with the after wedding question that haunts all brides….what to do with the dress?

I think this question comes up to all brides. I have come up with four basic options.
      Sell.
      Keep.
      Donate to a charity.
      Re-cycle and use the dress to make something else.

Now obviously we live in a modern society where we rarely pass things on to newer generations because they are into doing their own thing, but some part of me thinks that the old tradition of handing down a dress to ones daughter was a beautiful one. Not to say if I one day have a daughter that I would force her to wear it, but maybe use some part of it if she wanted to or something. Honestly if my grandmother’s dress had still been around I would love to have worn it. And I would be lying to say there isn’t just plain sentimental value.

On the other hand there is great charities like Brides Against Breast Cancer where you basically make a donation for the processing and ship them the dress and then they resell the gown to raise money for women with breast cancer. So a noble cause.

The re-cycle thing has it’s merrits. The material is beautiful silver satin and there is alot of it. I even had alterations chop like a foot off the train and you can’t tell. People have suggested a quilt, christening gown for first born child, a pillow….though the thought of taking apart my dress into pieces makes me nervous. What if it gets damaged or stained and I can’t even sew so I would have to have someone else be crafty on that.

The fourth and I think most common today is the sell thing. Now I know where wedding gowns are concerned you just don’t get what you paid it doesn’t work that way, but I think I could still get a good chunk of change. I probably paid about 1500 so I am thinking I could sell it for $500-600 I can justify the sale by thinking it will make someone else happy on their wedding day. I have a thought with this option that perhaps I could buy one of the silver emperors when they next come out..like use the funds from my silver dress to buy a silver dragon:-)…though regardless I will still probably get a silver emp dress fundage or no. lol.

I’m just having trouble deciding and would appreciate some opinions on the matter. I included a few pics from the wedding. Yep that be me. HI *wave, wave*< IMG SRC="Photobucket” > Photobucket“< IMG SRC=Photobucket

Lokie
      Participant

I really have no opinion or suggestion to offer for the fate of your dress, but I do want to congratulate you on the wedding. It’s a beautiful dress and you were a lovely bride 🙂

Skeeterdeee
        Participant

That dress looks stunning on you!
          I never heard of making them into Christening gowns, what an awesome idea! I got married on Halloween and I wore a black satin gown, so I really couldn’t have it made into Christening gowns! Mine is sealed up in a garment bag in the back of my closet (every now and then I try it on to see if I can still squeeze into it!).
          My advice is to hang on to it for a while until you are absolutely sure what you want to do with it. 🙂

Tethra
          Participant

I have the same issue as you do, and my wedding was 3 1/2 years ago. I love my dress as it has sentimental value to me, but having said that, I still don’t know what to do with it! My mum kept her dress up in the closet for years, and it was falling apart when we got it out 30+ years after they got married. Mine has been sitting in it’s box under the coffee table since the wedding and hasn’t moved.

Congratulations on your wedding too! You look beautiful! I hope you enjoyed your big day!

Hannah
            Participant

Speaking only as a daughter and never (yet) a bride, I’ve always kind of wished that my mother saved her wedding dress. Not that I think I would wear it, but because I’ve always been interested in seeing special things from my family’s past. Of course, this is a purely sentimental reason! It was just something that came to mind as I was reading about your dress.

I think the idea of turning your gown into something else is a fantastic idea though! That way you get to keep a tangible part of your memory without feeling like it’s just something taking up closet space and not being used.

Congratulations by the way!! Those pictures are lovely, what a beautiful day you had on your wedding day!! You look beautiful in that dress 🙂

I got married on Halloween and I wore a black satin gown, so I really couldn’t have it made into Christening gowns!

OMG Skeeter you may have just become my hero, that’s awesome!! Do you have pictures of your wedding day that I can see? *puppy eyes*

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
              Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Jasmine
              Participant

I still have my dress from my wedding last October hanging on my bedroom door. I love it to pieces and am in the same boat you are in. There are various donation sites, I’m not sure where you are. One I found that was for a very good cause was this one, it’s in Toronto, Canada:

http://www.thebridesproject.com/shopping/wedding-gowns

I really should put up pics from my wedding…keep forgetting…

And you do look absolutely gorgeous!!

Oh, and my brother-in-law did something awesome for his wife’s last birthday. He had her wedding dress professionally cleaning and fixed (it had been in it’s bag since the wedding so there were a couple of stains and such) and had it professionally packing in one of the special boxes they’re supposed to go in…with all the tissue and the whole nine yards. I think I might do that with mine.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

I am going to be totally useless here, but I had my dress designed in a renaissance theme and so I can now keep it to wear if I go to ren-fests and the like. 🙂 I knew I wouldn’t ever have a daughter to pass it down to or anything so I went with something that I knew I could use more than once and enjoy.

I hope you find a solution that is best for you! 😀

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Susie
                  Keymaster

I say hang onto it! You looked fantastic in it (better than some of those brides they have on Say Yes to the Dress!) and you don’t know now who in the future in your family may love to wear it again. If you give it away or change it when you are not certain that’s what you want to do, you’ll regret it later. Mine is stored away hoping someone may want to wear it again, meantime it gives me pleasure to see it because it was so pretty (and to wonder how on earth I fit inside there!)

Skeeterdeee
                    Participant

I got married on Halloween and I wore a black satin gown, so I really couldn’t have it made into Christening gowns!

OMG Skeeter you may have just become my hero, that’s awesome!! Do you have pictures of your wedding day that I can see? *puppy eyes*

My wedding gift from my little brother (who was 13 at the time) he took some GREAT pictures of my wedding and had them enlarged and framed. So I don’t have many pics from my wedding, but the ones I do have are extra special!
                      To tell the truth, I didn’t enjoy my wedding day (it’s a VERY long story!). But I had a GREAT wedding night…….no, no, not what you’re thinking, LOL! We went to the old Drive-In theater in our town that was showing classic horror movies all night. While you watch the movies, actors dressed as zombies sneak up and scratch at your car windows and scare the begeebies out of you! There was one particular zombie with a chainsaw, my hubby rolled down the window and told him how awesome his make-up was. My hubby and the zombie sat around and chit-chatted for quite a while only until I realized I WENT TO MY JUNIOR PROM WITH THAT ZOMBIE GUY! What are the odds of that?! So my hubby got to hear lots of stories about what I was like in high school! It was a fun night!

Skigod377
                      Participant

I’d sell it. Its freakin gorgeous!

I’d sell or donate, with that particular dress (it’s not done in a way you can wear again).

Mine will probably be kept and worn again for special occasions and such (though I think I could get away with the coat on a lot more occasions then the dress). Not that I’ve even worn it for the first time, yet – that’s not until August (EEK! Only 3 1/2 months!).

BTW you looked beautiful in that dress – it suits you and your figure perfectly! 🙂

darjeb
                        Participant

Yes Skeeterdee please post picture of that dress and Raincry you look fantastic that is a very beautiful dress. I think if I were you I would keep it for awhile before making a decision as to what to do with it.

My wedding was 49 years ago (my husband passed away 36 years ago) and I had my dress cleaned and packed for storage. Five years later my sister got married and her dress never arrived at the bridal shop. Five days before the wedding my mother was about to panic and called me and asked where my dress was and said please please don’t tell me you got rid of it. I told her No that it was packed away in the basement. She picked it up and had it cleaned (it was wrinkled) and my sister wore it. Six weeks later her dress showed up. Also my youngest sister-in-law wore it her older sister told me it fit fine but at the wedding I found out she had let all the darts and seams out of it to fit my younger sister-in-law. I was so mad I could have screamed and it just ruined the dress for me. A few years later a friend of my b/fs sister was celebrating her 25th and had never had a big wedding or white dress and so I gave it to her to wear and never saw the dress again.

Bodine
                          Participant

This an old thread.How in the heck was this found?But speaking of….
                            I had a black velvet sequined halter dress NOT fit for christenings or to pass down but I kept it anyway.I will not fit in it anymore, 35lbs heavier,15yrs later.My daughter has a gorgeous huge white dress,she kept hers.Sentimental reasons I guess but one day they will move on.

IMG_20191018_052755

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

etruscan
                            Participant

Maybe the post above Bodine’s post is SPAM?
                              I’m emailing Susie about it.

etruscan
                              Participant

Yes, the new post above Bodine’s was SPAM. It has been removed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.