fbpx

Dream jobs

Home Forums Miscellany Community Dream jobs

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

Ah, Zorse, thanks for more pictures. You definitely are living a dream. How many years of schooling and cracking books did it take to get you there, though?
      Thanks, all of you, for sharing your experiences and opinions. There are so many different jobs, so many opportunities that I feel kinda ridiculous that I’m having such trouble making up my mind.
      Keep the stories coming; it’s open to all!

Bob

I get paid well at my full time job but the bills are so far behind they are still kicking my butt
        I’m a dispatcher for at@t and my 10 year anniversary is next month along with my Sterling Silver ring I’m getting which was actually a 5 year gift but I did not like any of the 10 yeear gifts so I down graded
        I would not mind this job if they did not make things SOOO complicated that they are difficult to remember how to do them

Eventually I would LOVE to go to school for Massage Therapy and who knows maybe to Chiroprattic school so my sister would not be the only Dr. in the family
        she has her PHD though not in the medical field in any way

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Being your own boss is one of those wishful thoughts almost everybody seems to have. Is there anyone here who, if given the choice, would rather be an employee than have their own business?

I think I’d rather be an employee, mostly because I’m afraid the weight of responsibility in owning a business would give me a massive panic attack.

On the other hand, if my business was, say, drawing and selling my art on ebay or etsy or something, I think I’d handle that just fine.

Kalandra wrote:

and does the hubby count as a kid? ๐Ÿ˜†

YES.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Being your own boss is one of those wishful thoughts almost everybody seems to have. Is there anyone here who, if given the choice, would rather be an employee than have their own business?

ME!!! I know from the very bottom of my tippy toes that I DO NOT :puke: want to be my own boss and that I do not want my own business!!

I grew up in a family that had its own business and that was all of our lives. Mom and Dad opened the first show, Nordic Glass in 1980 in High Level, I was 4, they sold it 10ish years later, and then 8 months later opened up Glass Tech, in High Level again, and had it until well after I moved out. In all those years we went on 2 family vacations to Disneyland, thats it! We never did the family stuff other than that ever really, we are not a close family now either. Every bit of our lives were ruled by them stupid shops! Yes I know that its because of them shops that I was able to have the childhood I did, I never wanted for much of anything, except family time. I was home alone after school and all day over summer holidays from the time I was 7ish, I grew up very much alone as my siblings are 5 and 11 years older than me. I had no real rules, no real expectations, I dont remember my mom or dad ever asking me about school, or if my homework was done, because they were always at work, especially when I was younger I remember lots of times that they worked late laying carpet and painting peoples houses.

This is most of the reason i dont want my own business, I like the freedom my job gives me, I do my own schedule, I decide what days I want off, and how many. Because I work nights, I get home at 8am, sleep from 9-2 or 3 and then my son and I have lots of time to spend together, just the 2 of us, and the dogs of course. In the summer we go play in the rivers after school, or the fish pond, go for walks, in general just hang out together, and I LOVE it, and cant wait for the freaking snow to go away ๐Ÿ˜› . I will schedule a few days off in a row over long weekends, or school breaks and go see my mom, this job is why I was able to go see dad at least once a month while he was still with us, and for that I will always be grateful.

Now I will add that Hubby has his own business, Quality Telecom, he opened last May ๐Ÿ™„ . He is happy though, and I told him flat out from the start that I will not be working for/with him, and I will not allow it to rule my life. If that means that Alex and i go on vacations without him, then so be it, we will, next year I am hoping to take him to Disneyworld, with or without Hubby. Now i have helped him, I spent the last 2 days voluntarily putting plates on jacks in a bunch of hotel rooms, even though i worked the nights before, and may be going again today but I dont HAVE to to it… ever.

Now I will point out that both these businesses are in the service industries, and because of this you cant just close up for a couple of weeks a year to go on vacation, at least not if you want customers when you come back, those are the choices one makes in life I guess. And I love my parents and the things that they did for us, I really just wish there had been more time for “us” as a family is all.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Ah, Zorse, thanks for more pictures. You definitely are living a dream. How many years of schooling and cracking books did it take to get you there, though?
        Thanks, all of you, for sharing your experiences and opinions. There are so many different jobs, so many opportunities that I feel kinda ridiculous that I’m having such trouble making up my mind.
        Keep the stories coming; it’s open to all!

Always pleased to share pictures of my kick-ass job with y’all.

Five years of full-time schooling and book cracking, and part time working. And I am NOT stopping there. Next stop is Oregon , Wyoming, or Idaho for a Masters, and perhaps a PhD if I am feeling energetic.

In the meantime, I will be getting my ArcGIS certification, my Wildlife Rehab permit, my AA in veterinary medicine, an AA in both Forestry and Fisheries (for potential bachelors in those subjects later) and a couple other things I always wanted to do. Work full time, class part time is a great way to go.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.