fbpx

Dream jobs

Home Forums Miscellany Community Dream jobs

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Honestly? I don’t want to own my own business. Never did.

My dream job is where I can feel every day like I’m making some kind of difference in the world. Doing something that doesn’t just affect me, but lots of other people as well, in a positive way. Kinda why I went into chemistry. I can satisfy my nerdiness and do something that feels like it means something as well. πŸ˜€

Now I just got to GET a job in my field…. *sigh* πŸ™„

Jennifer
    Keymaster

My dream job would be to make enough to pay bills from selling paintings. I don’t need to be ‘comfortable’- just enough so that I don’t have to open the cupboard and look forlornly at the dust instead of food! Plus a little extra so I could pay someone to figure taxes and do the mountains of paperwork that comes along with selling your own work…!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Megan
      Participant

I would like to write and edit children’s books. The writing for the fun, and the editing to pay the bills πŸ˜›

Andrea
        Participant

I’ve been her 15 long years. I’ve had many different positions though. I was QA Manager which was high pay, high stress, no extra time off. I just got tired of the constant stress and being responsible for anything and everything that went wrong.
          So I asked to be demoted and took less pay to be the sales manager and I loved it! I could take the time off I needed to go to the horse shows all last year and not worry about customers hollering at me when their product malfunctioned.
          Now, I’ve been forced into managing the new space products because of my QA background. I didn’t have a choice, so here comes the stress!

I’m all for being comfortable with little stress as long as you’re happy with that!

My dream job would have been a veterinarian. But I didn’t realize how competitive it was to get into the vet schools and my grades didn’t qualify. Now I’m just too old to even try.
          But I have my husband, kids, ponies… I don’t need anything more!

My dream job would be to be able to make a decent living breeding, training and selling horses. Reality is, that in order to make a small fortune in horses, one must start with a BIG fortune. πŸ˜› And with the current economy, NOBODY is buying much of anything.

My actual job by trade (when I’m working, that is…. 😳 ) is in the environmental field. I can be doing anything from plant and animal surveys to running Superfund Cleanup sites. I get to see that I am actually making a difference in our world when I run/manage a plant or system, because bad, dirty water comes in, and viola` good, clean water goes out! Some sites need me to be there a couple days a week, and others I can maintain contact with a laptop and an internet connection. I was writing reports and manuals from home for a while there.
          I don’t really want to have my own company because I *am* a perfectionist, okay, okay….CONTROL FREAK….. πŸ˜€ And I could just imagine the rate of turn over if I tried. I doubt anyone would stay very long. 😳 That would just stress me out totally.

Anonymous

daydreamer wrote:

Kalandra wrote:

Im doing what I always wanted to do as a little girl, Im a stay at home mom… Ok… Ok… I know thats not what your talking about as far as jobs go… πŸ™‚ My true passion is baking… some day I would like to go to pastery school… become a pastery chef, and open my own bakery! I guess we all have our dreams!

Good for you Kalandra! Stay at home moms dont get the recognition they deserve. Its not a full time job, its a 24/7/365 job! How old is your little one(s)?
            Six and three…., and does the hubby count as a kid? πŸ˜†

Kalandra wrote:

Six and three…., and does the hubby count as a kid? πŸ˜†

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† that is so true! i bet they keep you busy (including the hubby). i’ve got just the one little monster (almost 17 months) and i don’t know how people do it with more than one.

bodine6127 wrote:

I would like to be a full time air-brush artist and get paid enough to live “comfortable” for it. πŸ˜€ Seriously though,creating beautiful works of art and have them up in Art Museums for many to enjoy.You have to love what you are doing for it to be your Dream Job and there is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable for me than to draw or paint.Why not make a living at it at the same time,right? πŸ˜€ I think my favorite genra is galactic art.Space is infinite…..

That’s awesome! I’d love to be able to so the same! I’m just beginning airbrushing, I love all the possibilities that can be created using that medium; some of those artists do just phenomenal work, I love it! My dream is to paint a mural on a car one day, even if it’s just my own, LOL!
            So very true, well said. Best wishes on your dreams and I’d love to see some airbrushed galactic art please when you create it :).

Good luck in your search GB :).

I’m still pondering over the question, lol. I work 2 jobs, teaching and working at a private stable. At one time I really wanted to work in either the game or film industry and use my art but now I’m unsure, lol. I still do a bit of art on the side but doing that full-time is just a dream for me LOL.

It’s wonderful to hear all these great stories about everyone’s jobs too! πŸ™‚

Purplecat
            Participant

I really love homeschooling my kids, being a mom, and being a sculptor. I actually think I already have my dream job. It’s a wonderful feeling, though I think it would be wonderful for my sculpting to do more than “break even” financially. But, all in all, i feel grateful that at least I DO break even, and can afford to continue with all the things i add to the website, sculpting processes and other expenses.

bayoudragon
              Participant

There’s so many creative people on this forum. So awesome! πŸ™‚

OK, I’ve been at my job for 12 years now. I really thought I had the best job ever. I mean, c’mon… who wouldn’t want to work at a nature center?? Well, unless you’re one of those people who just can’t stand the outdoors. LOL. But I really thought it was the best… until I worked my way up. High levels of responsibility and stress will absolutely kill any love you have for a job. πŸ™

I have been refraining from the Wailing Wall… mostly because I just don’t like airing my dirty laundry publicly, but I am so at my wits end. I’ll spare you the details, but I’m tired of the crap, tired of the migraines, and tired of crying. I am only there for the money right now, and for me, that’s not a good enough reason to stay. It makes me feel cheap. This job has also killed my creative streak, and it’s breaking me! I NEED art in my life. I need an outlet for my creativity (thank Windstone for PYOs!). I took a 10 year hiatus from art in grad school (which followed me into my job), and that was the BIGGEST mistake I EVER made. I’m so far behind of where I want to be… of where I could be. I’ve been doodling here and there, but I need to get consistent. It’s just hard to focus when I’m so stressed out. ARGGHH! :shout:

SO, my plan is to make more time for art. If this means taking “creativity days” from work, then so be it. On my breaks, I’m going to draw. I also plan on revisiting with my Mother-in-Law for our “art weekends” — art, wine, and chocolate! :yum: I need to build up a few more “completed” pieces (stuff with backgrounds, etc.) to build some sort of portfolio. Then I want to try the local Arts Council. They are very active in the community and do art camps and programs for schools/home schools. I have years of experience in that kind of setting, and that’s what I want. I want to mix art and teaching, but not just art classes. I want to mix teaching science with art. It’s a great way to incorporate the two curriculums. I LOVE doing nature art (or crafts) with our camp kids at the nature center. Whenever we do a “craft” that falls more into the realm of art, they pass it off to me… AND I LOVE IT!

That’s my dream job, and it WILL be mine! I just have to get my foot in the Art Council’s door! :yes:

Wow, that feels so much better. I should have done that a long time ago. LOL! 😈

LadyFirebird
                Participant

I hear everyone about the stress! I was getting pretty stressed at my former job–game playing bosses saying one thing and doing the other and then completely denying what they said in the first place! Negative environments really affect me and I was getting to the point where I had knots in my stomach just thinking about going in! When they laid me off they really did me a favor! I know some don’t want to constantly come on here and gripe about their lives but hey, you get it out! That’s the point–you write it out and get it out!

Personally, I’d like to do more creation–not a good painter but when did I ever have time to practice? Looking at work at an age a few years before retirement, I would prefer something that would take care of my needs with a little to ‘play’ with–buy art supplies or that special Windstone piece that has always eluded me. I don’t want to be ‘full time’ anymore–part time with time for myself and what I’d like to do and if I make some money out of it–great! I’m all for simple and as stress free as I can get it!

Honestly, I want to own my own greenhouse, and be able to grow my own plants from starts and seeds to sell at prices people can afford, and run a small Bistro inside of it at the same time. πŸ™‚ Perhaps have a little display of the Windstones somewhere in a climate controlled case. 8) If I was able to do such a thing, I would also employ perhaps 5 people who actually enjoyed working with either thing, and they would have to WORK. I am tired of jobs with people who are there to do as little as possible for their check. That is why I am painting for my money…Otherwise I must depend on Scott for everything. It was afford Windstones or sanity…I chose sanity. πŸ™‚

WindstoneCollector wrote:

Honestly, I want to own my own greenhouse, and be able to grow my own plants from starts and seeds to sell at prices people can afford, and run a small Bistro inside of it at the same time. πŸ™‚

Now that sounds cool!

I am *LIVING* the dream. I am a Wildlife Biologist.

When not out chasing Spotted owls, Northern Goshawks, Fishers and Wolverines, I am in training to potentially be groomed for a spot for the massive Land Management Plan re-write among other things. I have a chance to wield a very great deal of influence and power in the world of biology – and you can bet that I am eating up every minute greedily!

I get to work with threatened and endangered species. It does not get much better than that. Period.

Working in Northern California is sweet. (True Norcal!)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.