Dragon's Gift.

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Dragon's Gift.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Participant

It is with a heavy heart I share this with you. Anne, you will be sorely missed!

Pern, the Dragon Riders of Pern and all things Pernese belong copyright Anne McCaffrey. This story is my own work but based upon the copyrighted works of Anne McCaffrey. Thankfully fanfiction is allowed as long as the aforementioned disclaimer is stated.

Dragon’s Gift

“We are coming. Be ready”

Anne woke with a start. Had someone spoken? She looked around the bedroom still filled with the crisp chill and darkness of night. She had an uneasy feeling, not trepidation but of something slightly different and of…… a presence. Not menacing but nonetheless there.
      “Hello” she asked tentativel,y feeling more than a little silly. No answer. She didn’t really expect one, and then…

“We are coming. Be ready”

That time there was no doubting. She had heard a voice. Well, not heard actually.
      “Who is coming?” She asked.

The whimsical answer was not at all what she expected. “Two for breakfast.” She wasn’t sure just what she was looking for in disembodied voices but that wasn’t it.

And then she felt they were gone. They? Interesting.

Throwing back the covers, she reached for her house robe and slid into her slippers in one smooth practiced motion. Padding softly down the hall, the slippers making a soft slip slap on the wooden floor, she stopped and knocked gently on the bedroom door across the hallway from her own.

“Todd. Todd dear?” The muffled groans told her he had heard and would join her shortly. She continued on into the kitchen where she turned on the smaller sink light rather than the larger, and glaringly brighter; overhead light. Too early for that she mused. Soon she had coffee brewing.

Todd came shambling bleary eyed into the kitchen, concern written plainly on his face. “What’s wrong? Are you ok?”

“I’m fine dear. I just want to get an early start on the day.”

Todd looked at the kitchen clock. 4:30. “Humph, early is right.”

Anne poured up two cups of coffee while humming softly to herself. Handing one to Todd, she gently pushed him toward the table ahead of herself. Years of familiarity precluded conversation. She did not need to tell Todd to sit any more than she needed to ask him to grab the cream and sugar before sitting. After stirring his cup he reached for hers and began pouring in cream. Two small scoops of sugar later he pushed it back across to Anne who gratefully accepted. “Thank you dear.”

“So, do you have something to tell me?” He asked between judicious sips. The coffee was still very warm.

“Yes actually, I was hoping to get you to fix up a kettle of that lovely hot cocoa you’re so good at making.”

“You woke me up for that?”

“Of course not dear.” She smilled warmly. “I also need you to get out the tea service for me. It’s in the top of the dining room cabinet.”

“And that’s it?”

“No actually, then I need for you to go into town to pick up that package from the post.”

“So you’re not going to tell me?” He eyed her suspiciously but knew better than to push any further. Yes, she was hiding something but if he wanted to know what, he would just have to play along and see.

“Oh love, can’t you just humor an old woman this one time?”

With a heavy sigh he stood “Fine” He said, taking their now empty cups to the sink. “But this certainly isn’t the first time.” He said with a chuckle. After rinsing their cups he started the milk for the cocoa warming. Soon he had both the cocoa and tea service ready.

After pulling on his heavy outerwear and boots he headed out to the truck in the dark of pre-dawn. “This had better be good” He called back through the slowly closing door behind him and then was gone, swallowed by the darkness and mist.

Anne took the service and cocoa out onto the broad porch overlooking the distant rolling hills. The horizon was just lightening as she arranged the table for her “guests”. Sitting quietly she listened to the sounds of night slowly fading to be replaced by the first tentative birdsongs. The horizon steadily lightened and soon she could make out the mist hanging low in the hollows and valleys. Birds began to furtively flit about and several dark forms coalesced from the low hanging mists, horse shaped in the distance.

She felt it before she saw them. Breaking into the cool morning air, two dragons, gold and bronze, shimmered into existence gliding high just above the meadows. Hastily, she stood to watch their graceful flight. Her breath caught in her throat as the bronze let out a clear and brassy bugle.

“We come!”

Tears welled in her eyes as the dragons, beautiful and graceful, circled ever lower, ever closer. They were the most beautiful creatures she had ever seen. Though in truth she had seen them times without number, but this time, this time they were solid, breathing, and substantial. This time they were real!

They took one last swing around the cottage before dropping and backwinging nimbly onto the lawn just in front of her. The smell of spice, grass and earth wafted toward her from the mighty wings. Dragons! Settling before her were two actual living dragons! Not sure whether to cry, shout or faint, Anne stood transfixed. Their riders slid from their mounts sides, aided by their dragons offered forelegs and approached.

Strange she hadn’t even noticed the riders so intent was she on the wondrous forms of the great winged beauties.

Clad in heavy but well cut leather, they came before her. The Bronze rider removed his goggles and gloves then flourished a deep respective bow.

“Good morning my Lady.”

His dragon’s head lowered on level with her own. “Yes, good morning Lady Anne.”

It was too much; her knees turned to gel and began to buckle. Thankfully the Bronze rider deftly caught her as the Gold rider quickly moved to her other side and helped steady her. They guided her slowly back to her chair at the nearby table, and then seated themselves.

The rider of the Gold spoke up. “We are sorry to give you such a start.”

“Oh nonsense” She replied but the reply came out weak and trembling, not at all like the stoic, diffident reply she had intended. She smiled.

“I am Dalora rider of gold Claramoth”

“Good morning to you my Lady” A clear and lovely voice chimed in as the gold dragon dipped her head slowly in draconic bow.

“..and this is my other love, S’ron.” Dalora continued.

The bronze rider stood and once again flourished a deep bow. Then straightening, he nodded toward the bronze dragon with a lopsided grin. “And that big goof over there is Llanarth.”

“I am not a big goof.”

“Yes you are.”

For several moments Anne just sat, tears streaming unchecked down her cheeks. Finally she cleared her thick and tight throat. “I…I heard them”

“Does that really surprise you?” Dalora asked smiling. Seeming to realize that Anne was still greatly overwhelmed, she poured up the cocoa and offered Anne a cup before sliding one to S’ron and taking a one for herself.

“Yes, actually” Anne managed to answer after taking a good long sip to help clear the tightness in her throat.

“Well it shouldn’t” S’ron said then sipping he broke into a huge smile. “This is delicious.”

“Yes it is” Dalora agreed enthusiastically.

Anne heard their comments but Claramoth and Llanarth captivated her attention. She compared them to her mental images, making note where things were a little different. The size was deceiving too. Up close they seemed absolutely gigantic but now they seem just right.

They sat quietly for some time sipping cocoa and enjoying the warmth of the sun as it slowly rose over the distant hills.

Finally, it was Dalora who broke the silence. “We have actually come for a reason Lady Anne. We have a gift for you. Or, more correctly I should say, Claramoth has a gift for you.”

She rose and walked to the gold who kneeled slowly. Carefully, Dalora untied a large padded package from the flight straps. S’ron jumped to his feet helping lower it to the ground. Somehow, even before they removed the final layers of padding, Anne knew what the bundle contained. Nonetheless, she gasped as the mottled golden egg within was revealed. Anne rose in concern.

“Is it, uh she, is she warm enough? Is she OK.”

Claramoth lowered her head and gently nuzzled the egg.

“She is fine.” Turning her large equiline head to Anne, her eyes whirled in a rainbow of blues and purples. “She is for you.”

“For me?” Incredulous, Anne gasped. “I am too old it wouldn’t be fair! The poor dear, I couldn’t. No.”

Both Dalora and S’ron laughed. Not quite the reaction Anne expected for refusing such a precious offer.

“You cannot refuse. She is yours. As for being too old, well I think that is where you will find things are a bit different.” Dalora reached out to Claramoth and stroked her head idly. Softly, she said “We draw our strengths from each other. Don’t we dear?” Claramoth crooned contentedly. With a final loving pat she stepped back. “You will see. Don’t worry about the young one. She will do well for you. Besides,” Dalora eyed her mischievously, “We are about to leave. If you don’t take care of her who will?”

Panic welled “Leave? You can’t. You just got here.”

But before Anne could begin form her next volley of protests both Dalora and S’ron had mounted. Without another word they shimmered and were gone. Anne was more than a little put off but their sudden and unceremonious departure. From the ground no less! Nothing stood to mark their existence but for a large golden-mottled egg sitting atop a nest of padding and furs, warming in the sun.

Tentatively, Anne knelt before the egg, stroking its smooth texture, reveling in the growing warmth emanating from within. Once again tears streamed unchecked down her cheeks. “I’m so sorry little one. This isn’t fair to you at all. I am so very sorry”

As if in answer the shell gave a soft crack beneath her fingertips. Anne scrambled back with a whimper, terrified that she had cracked the delicate shell, causing even more damage to the occupant than her elderly presence at hatching might. But the cracking continued. “This is wrong, this is all wrong, this shouldn’t be happening.” Anne stood, ready to bolt, ready to phone every young neighbor girl she knew but she couldn’t move. All she could do was watch with growing disbelief and wonder as the egg began a gentle rhythmic rocking and the shell developed even more cracks. “This is wrong, all wrong. There should be…” Suddenly, a wrinkled, golden muzzle poked through a widening gap.

NEED!!! HUNGER!!! WANT!!!

Waves and waves of emotion washed over her. Before she could stop herself, Anne was pulling at the shell, struggling to free the occupant within. Then, with a very unglamorous squawk, the velvety soft and damp dragonet tumbled out and landed in her lap. Straightening the hatchling up Anne looked deep into those wondrous swirling eyes. She was suddenly filled with contentment and love like she had never known. Somehow, she felt like she was finally whole, as if her whole life something hadn’t even know about had been missing. She hugged the hatchling tenderly, lost in that chasm of love and understanding that was Peth.

Looking up she was finally aware of hundreds and hundreds of people watching her and cheering. High up, dragons of every color ringed the caldera rim, singing a beautiful counterpoint to the fairs of smaller dragons wheeling and diving amongst the crowds. Dalora and S’ron stood at the forefront smiling their approval.

“Well now young lady, you will want to feed that gaping maw before she eats one of our guests.”

“I’m sorry to hear of your loss Todd. I know how close you and your mother were.” “We are so sorry, she was such a dear” “We will miss her Todd” The condolences went on and on. Todd nodded his acknowledgements, mingling with guests and family. He had known this day was coming. It had been coming for some time now. Shaking hands and thanking friends and family alike for coming He had to tread his way carefully through the masses of flowers and arrangements that choked the rooms and hallways. So many flowers in fact, that the majority had to be housed outside. Despite his wishes for a simple and quiet service, his mothers’ fans would not be denied. Yes, she was his mother, but a part of her belonged to them too and he did not begrudge them.

As the day wore on and the multitude thinned down to more manageable numbers Todd finally had some rare time to himself. He sat on the back porch surrounded by floral explosions in various colors and sizes. So much had happened. He shook his head trying to shake the fog and fatigue that had begun to cloud it these past two days. Was it just two days ago? That was hard to believe.
      He remembered checking in on his mother just before going to bed himself. Her bedside lamp was on and she was sitting up in bed reading some mail.
      “Are you OK need anything?” He had asked. It had become a nightly ritual.
      “Fine dear. Though I was wondering if you make some cocoa for me in the morning?”
      “Sure”
      That morning she had not appeared for breakfast. When he checked in on her she was gone. Passed away in her sleep, quietly and peacefully.

He reached in his pocket fishing around for the object he had found on the floor of her bedroom. Curiously he turned over the material, feeling is smooth and slightly textured surface. Holding it gave him solace. It looked like a large piece of eggshell, complete with gold mottled tones.

Heaven is what you make it.

Carolyn
      Participant

That was beautiful . Thanks for sharing it . I really do hope her dream of riding a dragon has come true . I still can’t believe she is gone .

twindragonsmum
        Participant

Robin, that was beautiful. Thank you.

twindragonsmum

tdm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.