fbpx

dragons for boys b-day

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone dragons for boys b-day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    twindragonsmum
    Participant

tdm

twindragonsmum
      Participant

I got brave and finally started painting 😯 especially since the boys’ birthday is Thursday 😯 😯 So far, so good. Ethan wants red, Sean wants green, perfect colors for the Christmas holidays πŸ˜† When the dragons are done and if I can figure out how to post pics, I’ll let you see the final result. Well, maybe. Depends on how they look πŸ˜€ (I bow at the feet of all you master painters… πŸ˜€ )

twindragonsmum

tdm

I bow at their feet too. πŸ˜‰

Megan
        Participant

I’m sure they’ll look great πŸ™‚ Even the PYO greats here had their first times.

Maria
          Participant

Exactly. We look forward to seeing them. πŸ˜€

Lokie
            Participant

Ah, I’m so glad your boys’ b-days are the catalyst that got you started painting! I hope you’re having fun!

twindragonsmum
              Participant

It’s not going too badly, actually πŸ˜€ ‘tho the red one is looking a bit pink for my tastes 😯 still working on ’em

twindragonsmum

tdm

Heather
                Participant

The red paints tend to do that. It makes me crazy! πŸ˜› I have some red color schemes in mind, but so far haven’t figured out how to keep them from wandering off into the Great Pink Beyond. I only want pink if I was planning for pink! πŸ˜†

Barrdwing wrote:

The red paints tend to do that. It makes me crazy! πŸ˜› I have some red color schemes in mind, but so far haven’t figured out how to keep them from wandering off into the Great Pink Beyond. I only want pink if I was planning for pink! πŸ˜†

HA!! I know EXACTLY how you two feel- I used “Fire engine red” on a dragon two weeks ago- instead of the color I was EXPECTING I got “Deep Rosy Mauve” and am like “WTF?! I got so angry I packed up my paints and the statue for a little while till I can stand to face the Great Pink Monster and try to redeem it.

Megan
                  Participant

CherylKaufman wrote:

Barrdwing wrote:

HA!! I know EXACTLY how you two feel- I used “Fire engine red” on a dragon two weeks ago- instead of the color I was EXPECTING I got “Deep Rosy Mauve” and am like “WTF?! I got so angry I packed up my paints and the statue for a little while till I can stand to face the Great Pink Monster and try to redeem it.

Aww… Have you tried Folk Art brand reds? The Bright Red metalic and the Cardinal Red go on true and are very, very not-pink πŸ™‚

yeah folk art is what i use and wow they work sooo good

Megani-chan wrote:

CherylKaufman wrote:

Barrdwing wrote:

Aww… Have you tried Folk Art brand reds? The Bright Red metalic and the Cardinal Red go on true and are very, very not-pink πŸ™‚

If I’m not mistaken the Fire Engine Red is a Folk Art metallic color. But I’ll try bright red or cardinal red- thanks for the recommendation!

I had the pink problem too. Add some green to your red. Start with just a little, but as the opposite of red (pink), it tones it down. (I got this from my mom when I couldn’t get a tan w/o pink, but I’ve since used it on my red dragon as well.) Then, when you want more red back, add some purple πŸ™‚

Heather
                    Participant

boskydragon wrote:

I had the pink problem too. Add some green to your red. Start with just a little, but as the opposite of red (pink), it tones it down. (I got this from my mom when I couldn’t get a tan w/o pink, but I’ve since used it on my red dragon as well.) Then, when you want more red back, add some purple πŸ™‚

Ooo! 😈 What a fascinating idea! Being a little vindictive about paints that don’t do what I thought they would, I am delighted by the thought of fighting a trend to pink with an opposite color. I will have to try this. I have a metallic red that just won’t stop pinking on me–time to bring it back into line!

For non-metallic colors, I have had good luck with Golden’s Quinacridone Crimson staying relatively true, and it’s my favorite red so far. But I’ve been using it in conjunction with oranges and yellows, so they may be helping to disguise its shade a bit. πŸ˜›

twindragonsmum
                      Participant

Hey guys, thanks for the tips and encouragement! The red seems to hold its hue better when the base coat is black instead of the white of the gypsum. I also added a hint of orange and some copper. Things are moving along nicely! πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum

tdm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.