fbpx

Dragon story. PUBLISHED!

Home Forums Miscellany General Writing Discussion Dragon story. PUBLISHED!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Participant

I have finished my dragon story! Many of you have read my other stories, fan-fics and poems. Now I have finished my much longer story about dragons. Over 15K words. It is all done, prepared and ready to be available on Amazon. I just need to push one more button and it will be there.

The problem is, I think it is ready but no one else has read it. No one. I sent out a plea for beta readers but have yet to have any get back with me. I don’t want to send it on to Amazon if it is complete and uttter twaddle. (Although I have seen plenty of twaddle on Amazon) I have three more beta readers lined up but I won’t have it in their hands until Friday and then I will have to wait a week for them to get back with me.

It is so tempting to just click that innocent little button and have it load to the Amazon site. But I don’t want to put a bunch of grammer or punctuation errors that I am too close to to see into the hands of readers.

But the button… Just one click… It calls to me…

Here the summary…

Charraw has a job to do, a cycle to complete. It is a task as ancient as the mountains she must seek out if she is to succeed. For in those mountains lie her mate and her destiny.

photo content_zpsaa86b903.jpg

Kim
      Blocked

If you want me to look through it, I am a writer as well and pretty good at editing. I’m sure it will be good though!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Adaneth
        Participant

Sorry I haven’t gotten back to you. Between working on my eighth novel, a huge time-devouring project with a piece of furniture, and somebody else who asked me to beta a short story right before you did….I’m afraid I am very, veeeeeeery slooooooow. 🙁

I think you should wait, but that’s because I’d be mortified to put something up with errors, and it is SO EASY to miss them in one’s own work.

Pegasi1978
          Participant

I agree with waiting just a bit longer. Another week may seem like forever, but once it is submitted there is no getting it back to fix things. I’ve seen as many errors in a big name author’s (older) book as I have in a self-published story, so sometimes even copy-editors miss things. I’d offer to beta (used to be a copy-editor for a newspaper), except I’m swamped at work so I’m pretty worn out when I get home.

dragonmedley
            Participant

Definitely wait. Seriously. One more week, heck, one more month, isn’t that long, trust me.

A beta might even ask a question that’ll make you change entire parts of the story!

So wait until you hear back, read the comments and think about them. Some might only be about typos, some might be suggestions (and while some just might not go at all with the story and the characters, some might be gold) and some questions about continuity, environment, etc. Whether you chose to apply them, take you time 🙂

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Robin
              Participant

Sorry I haven’t gotten back to you. Between working on my eighth novel, a huge time-devouring project with a piece of furniture, and somebody else who asked me to beta a short story right before you did….I’m afraid I am very, veeeeeeery slooooooow. 🙁

I think you should wait, but that’s because I’d be mortified to put something up with errors, and it is SO EASY to miss them in one’s own work.

Don’t worry about it and good luck with your book as well. 😀

Robin
                Participant

Thanks everyone. I know I should wait. I am going to wait. I think it would be stupid of me to send it out there as my introductory piece and have it full of errors or have the timeline make no sense.

It also doesn’t help that I have decided on the cover art for the book either. It just makes the book seem that much more of a reality. It is quite exciting.

photo img_4688sm_zps020c8ed1.jpg

Yes, that is a stained glass dragon. It graces a window in my husbands game room. None of my other dragons had spikes and ridges and I needed one with armament for the cover. While it isn’t exactly like the dragons in my story it is colorful and gets across the idea that the story is about dragons in one simple glance.

rock-reader
                  Participant

Thanks everyone. I know I should wait. I am going to wait. I think it would be stupid of me to send it out there as my introductory piece and have it full of errors or have the timeline make no sense.

It also doesn’t help that I have decided on the cover art for the book either. It just makes the book seem that much more of a reality. It is quite exciting.

photo img_4688sm_zps020c8ed1.jpg

Yes, that is a stained glass dragon. It graces a window in my husbands game room. None of my other dragons had spikes and ridges and I needed one with armament for the cover. While it isn’t exactly like the dragons in my story it is colorful and gets across the idea that the story is about dragons in one simple glance.

Hang in there – it sounds like you have a good first novel and you need to give yourself every opportunity to shine!

I have a question about your cover (it is beautiful). Is it actually cut glass pieces or is it a drawing where the “lead” between the panels is actually a black paint? Just curious…

Good luck with your book! I, for one, will definitely try it once it hits Amazon.com. 🙂

Robin
                    Participant

I have a question about your cover (it is beautiful). Is it actually cut glass pieces or is it a drawing where the “lead” between the panels is actually a black paint? Just curious…

Good luck with your book! I, for one, will definitely try it once it hits Amazon.com. 🙂

It is faux stained glass. The lines are a sort of thick black foam tape with the color filled in between.

I really am getting through the reading it as well. Just killer swamped redoing my sisters entire kitchen. I will be going home in 4 days so I will finish reading and send feedback ASAP!!!

Kim
                      Blocked

I will have it read by tomorrow. Hope that helps!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Robin
                        Participant

I will have it read by tomorrow. Hope that helps!

That would be wonderful! Thanks again

Bodine
                          Participant

Congrats on your accomplishment! I can’t wait to read it!

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Robin
                            Participant

It is published! Thanks to my Beta readers, the story is better polished and flows well. I can not thank them enough for their time and hard work.

DRAM is now available on Amazon as an Ebook. If you don’t have a Kindle, do not despair. You can download an small app. to read it on your tablet, smart phone or Iphone. You can also read it on your computer.

If you like dragons then you will not be disappointed. DRAM is the first of a series about the dragons of the Fire Ranges. The second book, DRAKE is about 1/3 done and progressing very nicely. It will be a bit longer than DRAM as well.

You will find no elves, dwarves, trolls, wizards, magic or knights in this story. Just dragons and their world.

Bodine
                              Participant

COOL!Much congrats!!! When/will it be in paperback?Eventually hard I am hoping for you.I would love a copy to set proudly with my others.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.