fbpx

Do Any of You Grow Your Own Food?

Home Forums Miscellany Food Do Any of You Grow Your Own Food?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Purplecat
    Participant

I’ve eaten squirrel as well, it was pretty decent. I’ve also had deer and rabbit, and yeah….rabbit and squirrel tasted about the same to me. Deer is downright delicious.

Jennifer
      Keymaster

daydreamer,

Though it surprises many when they hear this because I am a hunter: I respect your decisions very, very much! If I could not hunt the way I do or raise animals (e.g for eggs) / get local animal products I would be there with you as a vegetarian.

________________________________________________________________________________

I think, even if we cannot ‘stop’ the way meat is looked at in this country.. if we can just educate people enough for them to know where and how their meat makes it to the dinner plate, hopefully some change can come from it and we can move ever forward!

Because…. guys these people are out there, and there are a lot of them…!!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
        My art: featherdust.com

Purplecat
        Participant

OMG>….definite fail. I once worked in an egg factory for a summer, and it was the most dirty and disgusting job I’ve ever had. There was a pile of dead birds that had to be collected EVERY DAY…and piles of flies to be swept up that was terrible. You could smell the place loong before you actually got there. Hunting your own food is actually much more humane. Cleaner too. It’s not hunting that I detest…but wastefulness. The only hunters I’ve ever had issue with are trophy hunters, who do not eat their prey, but simply kill for the pleasure of the hunt.

I admit, my father has a room full of trophies…But…He eats all the meat too. Well, not all. I mean, if I go there, and ask for meat, he will give me anywhere from 10 to 15 lbs of ground elk, deer, etc. plus usually some roasts and steaks. Same for my Brother, so yeah, all the meat gets eaten. πŸ™‚ One day I am hoping he goes hunting for a buffalo, we have a local farm, but I’d rather have wild. πŸ™‚ He also helps the guy out every fall who owns the hunting ground in CO that my dad elk hunts on. He calls it, Playing Barney Fife. πŸ˜†

Maria
          Participant

You have a cool dad, WSC!
            Mom keeps a garden where squash and pumpkin and other nasty stuff grows like weeds. (I’m kidding; I like them. The brothers don’t.) We get strawberries, raspberries, and grapes every year; beans, lettuce and radishes, some carrots and I’m sure other stuff I’m forgetting. Mom loves her garden.
            If I have any sort of green thumb it’s a sickly yellow; I’ll stick to my evergreen trees on the mountain and collect wild blueberries. Luckily I’m surrounded by farmers who do grow their own stuff and sell it to you directly.

Skigod377
            Participant

purplecat wrote:

OMG>….definite fail. I once worked in an egg factory for a summer, and it was the most dirty and disgusting job I’ve ever had. There was a pile of dead birds that had to be collected EVERY DAY…and piles of flies to be swept up that was terrible. You could smell the place loong before you actually got there. Hunting your own food is actually much more humane. Cleaner too. It’s not hunting that I detest…but wastefulness. The only hunters I’ve ever had issue with are trophy hunters, who do not eat their prey, but simply kill for the pleasure of the hunt.

The factories that make chicken (Tyson, etc) have so genetically modified their chickens that they can no longer take more than a few steps without collapsing. Their breasts are so huge (because of the demand for white meat) and they are grown in 40 days instead of 70, and the result is that their poor body cant handle it. Its horrible. The egg factory is bad enough, but I didnt want anything to do with chicken after I saw that.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

It makes me so sad that this is even an issue. πŸ™ I won’t soapbox or rant over this- though I easily could- but gosh I really wish people had more respect for the quality of life we impose on animals.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

machineguts
                Participant

Me too, Jen. πŸ™

Skigod377
                  Participant

My mom says some of the stuff in the garden is coming up very well but the melons (watermelon, cantaloups) keep dying. Anyone have any ideas?

pipsxlch
                    Participant

Do you know how small they are when they die? I think that unfertilized fruits will start to develop, but then wither while still small. With the bees dying out, she may have to fertilize the flowers by hand.
                      All I can think of (I figure she must be watering well). Not an expert, I can’t grow anything here that the squirrels don’t destroy plant and all!

I’m just going to stay out of this, as I make my living from this type of industry. Please don’t hate me for it, as other people do buy this meat, there is a demand for it, whatever my personal stance is (I have trouble eating beef nowadays because of it though, just the thought of it makes me go back to work where I see tonnes, literally TONNES of meat pass over my conveyor every HOUR :puke: ). I will say that it saddens me to be in this kind of industry, that I profit off of this. But I need to pay the bills, ya know. :shrug:

I definitely respect the hunting stance, though. At least those animals were not bred, born, and raised in despicable conditions that, if a dog or a cat were in that situation, it would be removed from the owner, and the owner would be criminally charged.

pipsxlch wrote:

Do you know how small they are when they die? I think that unfertilized fruits will start to develop, but then wither while still small.

hmmm…. good idea. i’m having this problem too with my acorn squash. the fruit starts to form and then withers up and falls off. going to get them fed tomorrow and see if that helps! the watermelons are still only flowering so maybe i’ll throw some feed on them too..

Dragon87 wrote:

I definitely respect the hunting stance, though. At least those animals were not bred, born, and raised in despicable conditions that, if a dog or a cat were in that situation, it would be removed from the owner, and the owner would be criminally charged.

kind of like the point i was making on facebook today. what makes it different? why is it okay to eat cows and chickens and pigs but not okay to eat dogs, cats, and lions (for the sake of my argument on FB)? what makes one life more important or more insignificant than another? gah… i it just makes me sad. πŸ™

Skigod377
                      Participant

daydreamer wrote:

Dragon87 wrote:

kind of like the point i was making on facebook today. what makes it different? why is it okay to eat cows and chickens and pigs but not okay to eat dogs, cats, and lions (for the sake of my argument on FB)? what makes one life more important or more insignificant than another? gah… i it just makes me sad. πŸ™

Its just our cutlure… in Korea it is plenty ok to eat dog and there are plenty of countries that eat horse… and some that dont eat cows. Its just how the culture sees it, and the protection of the species, if needed.

As for value on a life, I can tell you that I wont kill a rat or a mouse, but a stinkin fly or a mosquito is free game, so there are some lives that I dont value very much. I suppose that is personal preference, too.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.