Display Cabinets for Dragons

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Display Cabinets for Dragons

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rorii
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a quality curio/display cabinet? The ones with glass shelves make me wary, I am not entirely sure they can support the weight of some of my pieces. I desperately need some sort of enclosed display case for them because for some reason my cat looooves to chew their faces and has ruined a few of my pieces that were lower on a bookcase.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated! 🙂

Dragon_Hoarder
      Participant

I use the big PAX wardrobes from Ikea.
        I replaced the plastic pegs that the shelves sit on with metal ones that screw into the peg holes.
        I also used some metal shelving brackets to reinforce each shelf.

There are sliding door frames that you can attach to the wardrobe frame and I bought some custom cut acrylic panels to put into the frame so the doors are one large clear piece instead of divided into sections.

Ikea also sells light strips that fit the shelves perfectly.

Before that I had them in Billy bookcases with the clear glass doors that attach to them.

Scathach
        Participant

I use klingsbo cabinets from ikea. They have tempered glass shelves and the product specs give you the weight load for each shelf. I love the look of Windstones on glass with nothing in the way.

Life is beautiful.

Bodine
          Participant

I have some of my special pieces in a gun cabinet.Adding a wooden shelf or two for the rest.Even has a lock on the doors.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Rorii
            Participant

These are all great ideas, thank you so much! The open shelving they are on now is just not cutting it haha.

pipsxlch
              Participant

What about a barrister bookcase? Maybe you can add some battery power light strips. And if you have the money or make a lucky find, maybe some vintage display cabinets? They often have wood shelves and mirrored backs, and once again maybe stick on light strips could light things up for you. The lady I take care of has a beautiful cabinet like that I covet lol. And a barrister case. I’m jealous.

icewing726
                Participant

Hi Rorii, I had this problem and probably looked at every cabinet on the market. Glass shelves couldn’t support the weight and wooden cabinets were dark.

My solution was to draw a cabinet and have it built by sawdustcity.com. I added the lights and reduced iron glass doors after. I can send the plans over for reference.

Nightcrow
                  Participant

Add me to the ‘custom’ pile, at least in part. 🙂 Plenty of my Windstones are tucked into prebuilt shelving or other niches, but I did get my dad to build me custom mantel shelves for my birthday that are tall enough to house the Emperor dragon and sturdy enough to hold a whole conga of Lap Dragons.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Bodine
                    Participant

Both are wonderful.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                      Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

whisker hunter west
                      Participant

You could also look at china cabinets, which is what I’m currently using for my main dragon set. Some china cabinets are built to hold some pretty heavyweight china, and I find the storage space in the bottom half to be really useful.

Continuing the family tradition of being obsessed with shiny things.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.