fbpx

Direct buying from The Company Store;..ponder , ponder.

Home Forums Windstone Editions Windstone Store Discussion Direct buying from The Company Store;..ponder , ponder.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author

ddvm wrote:

As a consumer I try to buy regular production from stores. There is one store an hour from me that had a few pieces or I buy from a really nice gentleman who has a regular store and sells online. I try to only buy the limited production pieces from the Windstone store (although I have to admit once or twice I may have pounced on a regular production piece that was offered not realizing the stores were going to carry it. I did show enormous restraint to wait and get the BG coiled mother from my regular source).

The problem, as I see it, is that there aren’t enough regular stores that carry Windstones and the company has to do what it can to generate sales/revenue. But if the company goes out of business ( 😯 the horror) there won’t be ANY Windstones for the stores.

There won’t be anymore Windstone stores if Windstone encourages buying the whole line for Full line Status
    to get territorial protection , and then sell against them. Right now I see a lot of new Windstone pieces on ebay, these are not all recycled gifts.
    I should have taken note, people are dumping stock.
    Dumping any kind of stock creates a lesser value for that stock, therefore devaluating Windstone. If they drive dealers to quit, and dump stock, they will follow that stock into declining values. See 10/29/1929.

Skylover
    Participant

Where are all of the current pieces that retailers are dumping on ebay? I see mostly retired pieces. Some of the current ones on ebay appear to be from estates (This is what they say in the auction). The only thing that I can think of might be BT’s store. However, they’re not dumping stock, but adding current pieces in with their retired ones in their store.

I really do sympathize though. Small businesses are having a really tough time. Both of my local retailers are suffering greatly. I know and have befriended the owners of both stores, and I do wonder how long they’ll be able to keep their doors open. I support them as much as I can and try to point customers in their direction, but there is not much else I can do. While Windstone’s store may provide some competition, it’s not the main complaint of either of these stores. Times are just really hard.

Maria
      Participant

Even if there are no brick and mortar stores in a certain area, our dealers here (emerald, wolflodge) ship anywhere. I think they should get precedence over the Windstone store when ordering at all. Personally, I only buy LP pieces direct from Windstone. Production pieces I buy from emerald.
        (Yes, I will be ordering again, emerald. There’s just been an awful lot of LPs released lately.)

Jodi
        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Even if there are no brick and mortar stores in a certain area, our dealers here (emerald, wolflodge) ship anywhere. I think they should get precedence over the Windstone store when ordering at all. Personally, I only buy LP pieces direct from Windstone. Production pieces I buy from emerald.
          (Yes, I will be ordering again, emerald. There’s just been an awful lot of LPs released lately.)

Don’t I know it! πŸ˜€ It’s fine. The last two conventions are keeping me afloat for a while.

I just wanted to add too, that I don’t have the expenses of a brick and mortar store. I’m more of a virtual (and occassional) store, than anything else. If I had the expenses of a real store, I’d either be stocking a lot more cheap-type items to pay the bills until a collectible-type (read “more expensive”) item sold, or I’d be done too.

Skigod377
          Participant

I dont know if buying from Windstone is the norm, but I, like GB, buy from other online retailers. I can understand sellers frustration but they have to know that fantasy is not a rich market. Diveristy works well no matter what you deal in.

lamortefille
            Participant

Taking a quick look at eBay, it seems that any of the current pieces being listed by “stores” are at or above full retail for the piece. Some of them have been there since April. I don’t think that BT’s is regular store and I don’t think they buy current pieces wholesale. Correct me if I’m wrong.

What is the rule for stores selling current pieces on eBay? Not at all or current pieces at or above full retail price?

Jennifer
              Keymaster

BT’s is not a Windstone dealer, but an individual that seeks out pieces to sell them to other collectors (which is neat!). So they can sell any Windstones – retired AND current- however they please as they are not a dealer and do not need to follow the dealer’s rules.

I am not sure of the specifics of selling on eBay but I know that Windstone is only accepting new dealers that own a physical store location to try and encourage ‘brick and mortar’ sales. I also know that their newer dealers aren’t to sell current production pieces on eBay, but I don’t know if older dealers (that were selling there before that rule came into place) can or not. These are all things that someone like John would need to answer.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Jodi
                Participant

Speaking for my situation only, mind you, I got in as a dealer before the “brick and mortar only” rule went into place, so I don’t have a store, but sell at science fiction conventions and since then, online on my website, which was started mostly for those people who couldn’t afford something at the convention but may purchase later.

I am not allowed to sell my items at a lower price than X (what Windstone sells them for), and I’m not allowed to sell current pieces on Ebay, only retired pieces. I can have a sale once in a while, but Windstone doesn’t like it too much, but if I’m in a financial slump (or an overstock slump), I may do it to move pieces or create income.

I cannot advertise my sales on the Windstone Forum since they are under the prices of what Windstone sells the items for and I’m considered “competition” for their store. Hence, I started an email newsletter to notify customers of sales and new items, etc., at the suggestion of a brilliant forum member. πŸ˜€

I do offer something that Windstone does not, however, and that’s layaway, although I don’t advertise it on my website. But Windstone offers something that I don’t now, and that’s gift certificates. So we’re about even.

That’s my situation. I’m not sure about the other people selling things on Ebay. BT’s is not a dealer. There’s a person named Katzigh (or something close) that is selling product from a closed store on Ebay, but they are no longer a dealer. Other than that, I don’t know.

lamortefille
                  Participant

Thanks for the info, you two.

Em, the Windstone Store may offer gift certificates, but I don’t plan on using mine for production pieces (if I get any). They would be used for the stuff I can’t get anywhere else. The layaway is a wonderful idea and I might have to start using it…(broker than broke) πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

Skigod377
                    Participant

I still think the layaway is the best thing you guys do. I love it.

Jodi
                      Participant

lamortefille wrote:

Thanks for the info, you two.

Em, the Windstone Store may offer gift certificates, but I don’t plan on using mine for production pieces (if I get any). They would be used for the stuff I can’t get anywhere else. The layaway is a wonderful idea and I might have to start using it…(broker than broke) πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰

Oh, I’m not really worried about it. I will probably get some gift certificates myself, to use on LP items. And maybe my family will actually get me some for Xmas. πŸ˜€

Jodi
                        Participant

skigod377 wrote:

I still think the layaway is the best thing you guys do. I love it.

Yay! πŸ˜€

I agree with Sik, layaway is the only reason I got several of my dragons last year and again it is the only reason I get to have a white warrior- because someone let me make payments!

CherylKaufman wrote:

I agree with Sik,

πŸ˜†

ddvm wrote:

CherylKaufman wrote:

I agree with Sik,

πŸ˜†

SHUSH YOU!! I was merely referring to the other thread where Ski and I will have a throw down after we sit in the warm Hawaiian breeze drinking fruity drinks as we discuss out imminent physical reassertion of our points of view…hence the Sik….ummm, ya! That’s it!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.