fbpx

Digital Cameras–Need Advice

Home Forums Miscellany Community Digital Cameras–Need Advice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

LadyFirebird
      Participant

I’m in the market for a digital camera and I’m trying to do my research and I’m getting crossed eyed here. I’m technologically challeneged on a good day and the recent big highlight for me was to install my new keyboard and wireless mouse and have it actually work!! TaDa πŸ˜€ Now I’m sweating bullets just thinking about putting in more memory that I also have on hand! [See the problem here]

I see a lot of you post your pics here and I’d love to do the same. I don’t have a camera at all and would like something that is fairly easy to use (has good moron features so I can figure it out), takes decent pictures and is easy for me to hook up to my computer so I can upload the pictures for emailing, posting etc. (There was a Canon I was looking at but you needed to go through your Outlook to be able to email pics–don’t need this hassel) I’m looking at mid range in price–around $300–a decent zoom feature would help. So…any and all suggestions, recommendations etc would be appreciated! And remember…I grew up in an era before VCR and 8 tracks were considered state of the art πŸ˜†

Also any recommended accessories and what the hell is a card so on and so forth. I know–pretty bad–it sucks being old sometimes! πŸ˜•

dragonmedley
        Participant

Are there no photography shops you can go into? They’re specialized, so they could answer all your questions. I’ll try to answer you, but for me, whenever I get an answer, another question pops up! That’s what I did when I bought Warp10’s digital frame. After asking all my questions, it turned out the store had only 2 models to fit my needs. That way, I didn’t get screwed.

I will attempt to answer some. I’m probably like you, and not a photo genius like Koi or BDW, so my answers might resonate with you.

Quote:

easy for me to hook up to my computer so I can upload the pictures for emailing, posting etc. (There was a Canon I was looking at but you needed to go through your Outlook to be able to email pics–don’t need this hassel) I’m looking at mid range in price–around $300–a decent zoom feature would help

From what you say, you might be looking for a point-and-shoot, cameras that can just upload the pics directly to your email, no matter which program you use (Outlook or anything else). However, in my experience, most cameras work this way: take the pictures, plug it in the computer. The computer automatically recognized the camera and copies the files into a folder of your choice (though some might create a default one for you). Once there, you do whatever you want with the files: email them as attachements, upload them on something like photobucket to post here, print them, use them as background on your desktop, etc. It might seem like a hassle at first, but once you get the hand of it, it’s very handy. That way, if you need to go back to a pic, it’s there. Same thing if you decide to have them professionally printed: just copy onto a memory stick or SD card!

The one feature you want to look at for quality of the picture is the optical zoom. 4 to 6x is good, more is better. It’s not that the digital zoom isn’t important, but without the optical one, you won’t get as good a picture. For the price, I think $300 is good; you should get a nice camera for that much.

Anyway, my advice is, question the sales people mercilessly until you’re satisfied with the answers!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

LadyFirebird
          Participant

Thanks, dragonmedley, any little info helps. We do have lots of electronic shops here but they specialize in general electronics–computers, TVs, DVDs, cameras, laptops and the list goes on. What I find with these places is that there is no one ‘expert’ on any of these items so you get a sales person only wanting to sell you what they have on hand and convince you that this is the best item for your needs. I used to have my photos put on CDs and that way I uploaded them on my computer for future use–believe it or not, this much I can do! I’d get these one-shot, throw aways but the store where I went changed hands and they are no longer encouraging people to go this route. Used to have places that specialized in cameras but they’re gone! So I figured there might be some forum members who were pretty savvy about this and could give me some advice. So thanks–any advice is appreciated! πŸ˜€

purpledragonclaw
            Participant

PM’ed you!

I am very electronically-challenged, but usually when I buy things from Panasonic, it is usually easy to work them without even having to go through the owner’s manual. My camera is from Panasonic, a Lumix, and I’m still a little fuzzy on some features, but I can take pictures with it, and easily put them on my computer. And it has a pretty good-sized screen in the back also. Most of my electronics are Panasonic, they don’t cost that much, usually available at Walmart, they are all user-friendly. I like it. πŸ˜€

siberakh1
              Participant

Are you looking for a point and click digital camera that you can carry around in your purse or or pocket or something a bit more high end?

A good site my dad and I use for camera comparison is http://www.dpreview.com. You can see the stats on all camera, approximate retail value, and can compare cameras you select side by side. Some also offer galleries of photos taken by people with the cameras, to get an idea of what you can get with them.

If you are going for a higher end camera (one where you can swap the lenses), stick to a brand, since you can’t necessarily interchange lenses from one camera to the other. Nikon and Canon are generally the top to deal with when going for DSLRs. They typically get the most consistent ratings. There are some other brands with decent cameras, but the ones I can think of are on the higher end of the spectrum. If you do go for a Canon (no matter what type), I highly recommend going for one with the digic 4 processor. It’s replacing their digic 3 processor and the results are wonderful! My little powershot has it and I lot the results compared to the old digic 3. I have that for taking to conventions or just to have with me when I’m driving for those random shots. I’m currently saving up for a Canon Rebel T1i (EOS 500D). It’s their new DSLR (retails for around $800). It has the Digic 4, plus has most of the same features of their 50D model (higher end and much more expensive, but the older processor), plus has HD video capabilities. A lot of bang for your buck and substantially cheaper than their 50D for about the same exact features.

Lower end models (ie. point and click), Canon, Nikon, Kodak easyshare (very easy to use), even some of the olympus models aren’t bad, occasionally a Sony. If you want long battery life, look for something that takes a lithium ion battery. They’re typically square or slightly rectangular, hold a charge pretty well, and are rechargeable (should last a day for typical use on a full charge). If you do go for something with regular batteries, buy some rechargeables and carry an extra set with you. They’re good for about 1000 charges. Regular batteries are eaten up very quickly by digital cameras and will cost you a lot in the long run (I went through about a 4pack a day with heavy use on a trip to Austria).

I <3 my Nikon DLSR, but it is not great if you want something to pack with you, LOL. If you are planning on having something to take with you in your purse, and just to have around all the time, I like Nikon and Kodak, but for ease of use I cant help you, LOL. With a Mac they are pretty much work the same. I dont understand why you would ahve to use outlook with the canon though, once you upload them into a file on your comp you should be able to upload them into any mail server you choose. Personally I hate cameras that you have to buy batteries for, I [refer rechargeable ones. My D40 will last weeks on a charge, even if I leave her on in the bag. And my little Nikon we have not charged since Vegas in May when we bought it, LOL. My Kodak lasts a really long time as well, and he is a good 4 years old now, but hands down is one of the best cameras I own. But it is not a little point and shoot, LOL. As was already said look for one wil a good optical zoom, digital zoom just eats at your pixels.

This is the little Nikon I have it is a nice little camera:
                http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=16691

He has a little Panisonic that is a really nice camera, similar to this:
                http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/camerascamcorders/digitalstill/DMCFX48.asp

LadyFirebird
                Participant

Thanks everyone–this is what I was looking for. Never owned a digital camera so what everyone said is helpful as you point out different features and have recommendations. I’m taking note of all this and am still open to suggestions! Whenever I get it, I’ll certainly start a little thread on pictures I’ve taken of my Windstone pieces! πŸ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.