fbpx

Did you know that icy is slippery?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Did you know that icy is slippery?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Laurie
    Participant

Laurie
      Participant

So we finally got some snow around here last night and of course its my last night of work. We ran all night long and around 4am we got a call for a 60 some year old with abdominal pain and vomiting since friday. I pulled up infront of the house and called arrived only to hear a loud “thud” come from the passenger side of the medic unit. I look over and see the door open but my partner isn’t there. I called out to him but he didn’t respond. I quickly got out of the medic only to find him curled up on the ground holding his head. I asked him again if he was alright and he said no. I got on the radio and called for another medic unit while he crawled into the back of the medic. He had blood all over the back of his head so I grabbed some 4×4’s and tried to find where the bleeding was coming from. While I’m doing all this I see this little old lady poke her head in the medic and says to me “oh I can walk”. It was the lady who called us there in the first place, she didn’t see my partner fall and apparently couldn’t figure out what was going on. I told her to sit in the chair next to me that another medic unit was coming to take her. She then says to me “oh I could have drove myself to the hospital” &*$@@&^#^ is what I wanted to say to her but I bit my tongue. To make along story short the other medic finally showed up to take our original patient to the hospital (even though she could have driven herself) and my partner ended up on a backboard taken to another hospital and now has 7 staples in his head. So yeah that was my night lol.

Adaneth
        Participant

Poor guy, how utterly embarassing!

(I’m very glad it wasn’t you!)

Pegasi1978
          Participant

If she could have driven herself then why didn’t she? ๐Ÿ˜ก

So sorry to hear about your partner slipping and falling. I hope he’ll be okay.

twindragonsmum
            Participant

*rolls eyes* Oh brother! If she could’ve driven herself, why didn’t she? ๐Ÿ™„ :shrug: I’m sorry for your partner. I hope he’ll be okay… Ice can be so treacherous

twindragonsmum

tdm

BDW
              Participant

๐Ÿ˜ก Some people I just don’t understand! Do they think you are a taxi? ๐Ÿ˜•
                Sorry about your partner.
                I know all about ice! I had a close encounter last saterday right here in my yard..fell flat on my back, knocked the wind out of me and took me a while to get back up. You can come skate on my road and yard…it’s all ice after the freezing rain we had friday. ๐Ÿ™

Ah ice, my good friend… bah…. it’s the reason I’ve been having knee problems all winter, I took a flying leap to catch a bus (good news is I caught it).

And if she could have driven herself, why didn’t she??? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Laurie
                Participant

People like to use us as a taxi service since we don’t cost anything. Yeah I wanted to tell her to get in her damn car and drive herself since it was such an emergency ๐Ÿ™„ My partner is home but I haven’t gotten a chance to talk to him yet. We were up all night and I figure he is probably sleeping. What sucks is last night was his last night before he went on vacation. Now he gets to spend his vacation with staples in his head. Even if he wasn’t on vacation he wouldn’t be allowed to work since you can’t work with staples or stitches. I did find out that the Battalion Chief complained to our head ems director about the hospital not numbing him up before they put the staples in. They just came right over and stapled his head without giving him anything for pain. I wasn’t there when they did it I was cleaning the medic unit. I probably would have b****ed a fit if I had been there.

Setsunawolf
                  Participant

They don’t charge???? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I was charged over $500 for less than a mile to the hospital when I had a hypoglycemic seizure. I’m living in the wrong state.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                    Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                    Sun Dragon Koi #3

setsunawolf wrote:

They don’t charge???? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I was charged over $500 for less than a mile to the hospital when I had a hypoglycemic seizure. I’m living in the wrong state.

Less then a mile!?!?!?! Holy #%#! I ended up pay $350 ten years ago for a 20 mile drive.

I am also curious about the free ambulance. How does that work?

Laurie
                    Participant

We are paid for by tax payers dollars so we don’t charge. I know the city charges because I got a $500 bill from them back when I was in a car accident. Also alot of volunteer medics charge as well. Since we are free we get abused alot by people who don’t want to take the bus or a cab.

purpledoggy wrote:

We are paid for by tax payers dollars so we don’t charge. I know the city charges because I got a $500 bill from them back when I was in a car accident. Also alot of volunteer medics charge as well. Since we are free we get abused alot by people who don’t want to take the bus or a cab.

Doesn’t that seem to be the case a lot? You try to do something nice and it gets taken advantage of ๐Ÿ˜ก

Although I guess some people may not understand why and how it is supposed to be used. Kind of like 911, where the system gets overwhelmed by people calling in on things that aren’t really emergencies. :shrug:

Well, I hope that your partner is okay and heals up without any problems. Thank you for the service that you do. 8)

Maria
                      Participant

purpledoggy wrote:

You must have an angel’s patience, purpledoggy, not to punch some of those people in the face.

Laurie
                        Participant

I have no patience I just need to keep my job lol. Usually my partner and I switch off in between patients that get on our nerves. That way we can stay sane and not yell at them. I don’t mind so much when people use us as a taxi if they have some kind of medical problem that just started but when its been ongoing for days/weeks/months and yes YEARS then it bothers me. The night he fell we had one patient who was vomiting since last week and was told to go to the hospital on thursday so now sunday night she decided to take his advice. I was already irritated about that then this lady calls us and he ends up getting hurt so I was fit to be tied. Also it never fails that the idiots who use us as a free taxi always call after midnight.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.