fbpx

Decoart antiquing/staining medium help

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Decoart antiquing/staining medium help

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Blight
    Participant

I’ve finished my first ever PYO (kirin), which I’ll upload later this week once it’s been sealed and the eyes have been glued in, but I hadn’t managed to solve a problem.

I tried to use DecoArt’s antiquing/staining medium to add the depth to the finished piece, but it didn’t do anything ๐Ÿ™ I had added equal parts of the very clumpy gel (I’m not sure if thats what it’s supposed to look like) to equal parts of decoart dazzling metallics, but all it did was.. make the paint clumpy. I painted a small patch on the kirin’s scaled flank and wiped off the raised parts with a sponge like the instructions said but nothing happened. My mum suggested that maybe it will change colour, but 4 days later and it’s the same.

Am I doing anything wrong? Is the medium I’ve bought old?

hey Wolfrott

I think that your medium is really old. I just bought some and used to today and is a fluid gel. It mixed with my decoart paint really well and made a mildly thick paint. I found on my Ki-Rin that the antiquing worked brilliantly on the hair of the Ki-rin but on the scales the details are so fine and not deep around the scales that it did not stick well. I ended up washing it all off of scales today and will re-try tomorrow. I think I need to let it sit longer before I wipe it back off. I will let it sit tomorrow for about 30min. I put a relatively heavy coat of the antiquing on and wait for period of time….then lightly (very important if you do not want to remove all the antiquing you just put on) wipe back….let sit again for couple minutes….wipe back a little harder to clean up. I am super picky so i take a lot of time and it is going to take me a week at the rate I am going just to get the scales antiqued.

I think you need to buy some fresh decoart antiquing medium….it should be fluid gel. NO lumps at all in all the bottles I bought!

Hope this helps a little. I am no Pro by any means…this is my first PYO too. Maybe the Pros will have better advice.

Sirithiliel
      Participant

I have a general question regarding antiquing agent….where do you get it? the local art stores I’ve checked don’t seem to have any.

Tara
        Participant

I have a general question regarding antiquing agent….where do you get it? the local art stores I’ve checked don’t seem to have any.

Not all paint brands especially artist paints have antique as you can just use regular paint as antique. To use paint as antique you mix it with retarding fluid (or something else that slows the drying time). Retarding fluid helps slow how fast the paint dries allowing you time to wipe it back off again. I’ve done it without but you have to do very tiny patches as you don’t have as much working time.

As for finding antique, I would check at some where like Micheals. They usually have something in both the artist brands and craft brands.

Blight
          Participant

Aw, darn! My sister had bought some other paints from the same store a few weeks ago and they too were old.

Does Michaels ship internationally, or is there another craft store that can ship to Australia? It’s virtually impossible to find a reputable Aussie craft store, and so far I haven’t found any other stores that carry any of DecoArt’s range ๐Ÿ™

There’s no local craft stores I can visit so that is not an option. Thanks for your help!

Bodine
            Participant

awww that’s a shame.At least it didn’t ruin your Ki-rin.Try Ebay?

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
              (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
              Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

siberakh1
              Participant

Wolfrott – I use DecoArt’s antiquing/staining medium (Americana Staining/Antiquing Medium) all the time on my pyos. I don’t mix equal parts though. I tend toward more of the medium than paint. I sort of play that with what consistency looks right. I haven’t tried to antique with cheaper paints, like folk art, so you may need to play around with the amount of paint vs. antiquing medium to get the correct consistency that works for you. I usually use Golden or Liquitex brand acrylics, occasionally using other paints for special effects. Depends on what I’m trying to achieve on a piece. ๐Ÿ™‚ The medium itself will not change color. It becomes the color you apply to it. Some people just antique using paint. If you want to try some new things out, but don’t want to mess up a larger piece, try getting a PYO Muse or two. They have all the textures you would run into on a pyo (feathers, fur, scales of different sizes and types, etc.) and test out different methods on one. They also look a bit of a mish-mash in design, so can be fun to see what you end up with after paint and method testing! ๐Ÿ˜€

I use a lot of thin layers of paint, so I usually apply 1 coat of sealant over the paint first and let it dry before I antique, just so I don’t rub off any of the work I’ve already done. I apply the antiquing medium where I want it (not to thickly, but enough to get it where I want) and give it 2-3 minutes before wiping. Don’t want it to dry on there, but it will start to tacky, almost sticky feeling. Usually by the time I get done on one side of a small or medium sized pyo, and come back around, I can start wiping where I started applying the antique and work around in that order, so I don’t really have to ‘wait’ per say. I use a damp (not drippy) paper towel to wipe away the excess. If I wipe too much antiquing away and need to add more, you can touch up those spots with a smaller brush and re-apply the antiquing. If you are comfortable with doing tiny detail work, you could even touch up with the paint you are antiquing with using a tiny brush into those nooks and crannies. I use paper towel, and occasionally my finger for spots, instead of a sponge. I tried the sponge method and it didn’t really work for me and I find I have more control with a paper towel and can get into little spots easier with one.

Make sure the antiquing dries completely before applying sealant or anything else. I like to wait the better part of a day if my PYO has a good place to dry, like a radiator (I have old radiators at my house with covers on them, so you can actually sit on them) or out in the sun in the summer. I so prefer to give them a full day though, just to be on the safe side. If there is higher humidity, I may give two full days. If the piece is even slightly tacky, just let it dry fully.

For art supplies, I’m not sure what places are available in Australia specifically, but Dick Blick Art Materials (it’s named after the guy who started it, hence the funny name) is in the US and does ship internationally. I get most of my art supplies that I can’t get locally at the small independent art supply stores or one of the big craft stores near me from here.
                http://www.dickblick.com/customerservice/international/

They don’t seem to have the DecoArt antiquing stain, but you could try Decoart’s website and see if one of their sellers will ship internationally (Decoart only ships to the US and Canada). http://www.decoart.com/Purchase/
                The product is listed under ‘Mediums’ on the site. The other alternative is to have someone in the US or Canada pick up some for you and mail it to you.

Bullsquid
                Participant

I’ve purchased DecoArt Antiquing Medium from this eBay seller in the past. They ship internationally, and have super cheap rates. In fact, it says shipping to Australia is $1.33!

Here’s the link:
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/DecoArt-Americana-Staining-Antiquing-Medium-2-oz-/260914204833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbfb2d0a1

I hope that makes it easy for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Wolfrott, I think you might misunderstand what the antiquing medium does! All this really is, is a gel that dries more slowly, allowing you to add your paint color to it and apply it to your piece. It dries slowly, allowing you time to wipe it off of the areas where you don’t want it. That’s all it does. It doesn’t change color– you add the color that you want it to be.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                    My art: featherdust.com

Blight
                    Participant

I haven’t tried ebay yet, but first I have contacted the craft store I bought it from to see if they can give me a newer one instead of one that’s apparently been sitting in their warehouse for months ๐Ÿ™‚

Blight
                      Participant

Thank you so much for all the help! I had used the official PYO tutorial concerning the decoart stain, and I think we’re all correct. The stock I’ve got is way past it’s use by date ๐Ÿ™

I had tried using it with DecoArt’s dazzling metallics Royal Ruby on bonedry Royal Ruby, and it was like painting it with another coat of royal ruby never mind the alarming factor that the ‘gel’ was like jelly. If I poked at it with the brush, it would try to ‘escape’ and slide around the palette.

I am still waiting to hear back from the craft store but worse case scenario is that I could possibly try to get it ordered in from the one good local craft store here, but it’ll cost me an arm & a leg because the owners like to think that because our location is 2 months from everywhere, they can jack up the price.

Blight
                        Participant

But it stains though, right? I know it is supposed to take on the colour of the paint you pair it with and the drying rate is incredibly slowed down, but it’ll stain whatever it has been painted n.

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

Oh my! No, it shouldn’t be like Jelly. You should be able to paint it on like thick paint. It does sound like it got way too old at the store, or maybe a warehouse somewhere before they got it.

Essentially it works like thick paint. You want it to stick in the recesses, after turning it a darker color (via adding paint to it) than your PYO, so that it creates the antiqued look, like in the tutorial.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

dragonmedley
                            Participant

Mine is a bit old too, so I mix 1 part medium, 1 part paint and 1 part water.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.