fbpx

Crowfeather's PYO's updated 4/13/11

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Crowfeather's PYO's updated 4/13/11

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Kelly
    Participant

Hello everyone,
      I finaly jumped in. I painted a muse. I chose my favorite colors. Red, black and white with silver accents. I have never painted anything like this before. I have painted walls in a house but that is much different.
      A few of the things I have learned while painting this guy are… I realized these colors are extremely hard to work with together. Not to mention I lack the painting skills, but that comes in time. I have read a lot of the tutorials and equipment and painting tips you all have on here in the forum. That being said, I thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and tips. It really was better to have a reference point than to start off blind.
      I used americana and decoart brand acrylics, same brand for extender, pearlizing medium and varnish and bought a set of average artist loft paint brushes for this guy. I know I will be buying a better quality of paint brush for my next one. I struggled with stray hairs. 😑 I have ordered gems for him and need to atttach the felt on the bottom so I’ll probably update the photos then. I couldn’t wait to post him though, I noticed that a lot of the newest pyo’s being done are in reds and blacks. I don’t have a name for him, any suggestions? Oh, and feel free to critique me on my painting. I’m not thin skinned and value any advice you can offer. πŸ˜€

Kelly
      Participant

Anonymous

Very pretty… I like the black and red together!

Rachel
          Participant

Magma!
            He reminds me of magma that’s red in the hot parts and degrees of black and white where it’s cooled.
            Great job on him!

bayoudragon
            Participant

ooh, nice job on the antiquing! 8)

You may be right about the colors. I find it much easier when I use at least 2 colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. It makes blending and transitions easier. πŸ™‚

siberakh1
              Participant

Harlequin, or something revolving around a deck of cards. πŸ™‚

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

I like Harlequin a lot! Good one!

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Hannah
                  Participant

Really nice job on your first one crowfeather!! I love red and black myself πŸ™‚ I agree with that you did a really good job antiquing! it looks like you’re really good on the details too – I have never painted a muse before but I’ve been told they are smaller than most of the other PYO’s so that’s a really steady hand to get all of those details so precise! You should try out a dragon (they JUST got re-added to the store!!), I’d love to see what you could do with one of those!

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                    Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Kelly
                    Participant

πŸ˜€ Thanks for all the compliments. I really appreciate them. Yeral, the muse is small and fits nicely in a dixie cup haha. My husband says the muse’s eyes make him look insane and I should name him Mad Max or Mr. Wilde after Oscar Wilde.

ghostndragon wrote:

Magma!
                      He reminds me of magma that’s red in the hot parts and degrees of black and white where it’s cooled.
                      Great job on him!

I can see that magma effect πŸ˜† .
                      I think I’m leaning towards Halequin myself, but I’ll wait on naming him till his stones come in and I make a charm for him. I saw that the dragons are in stock too. I’ll start brainstorming on a color scheme. I think I’ll take Bayoudragon’s advice and try to stay with colors that are close on the color wheel. Thanks again for the compliments!

dragonmedley
                      Participant

You antiqued on your first piece? I’m still afraid to do it!

I like Magma and Harlequin both. You could go with Spade…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                        I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                        http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

katmom
                        Participant

He’s VERY striking!

Well done!!!

“King Max”…mixes the Mad Max thing and a deck of cards…

“Joker’s Wild” is another idea…

Yes, very well done!

Apari
                          Participant

dragonmedley wrote:

You antiqued on your first piece? I’m still afraid to do it!

I know how you feel, I was also weary of antiquing my first piece… but man I’m glad I did.
                            It seems to cover up some flaws, and just gives it a pop that you don’t get otherwise.
                            I made this video for people who haven’t antiqued before. This method works really well for me.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ4SDQdJcFw

Very good job on your first PYO btw! I like the colors that you chose. The antiquing looks great too. πŸ™‚

Hannah
                            Participant

Sagi – how much retarder do you use in your antiquing base? Is it a 1:1 ratio? I do my antiquing much the same way except I am too nervous to do it in areas that big – it’s generally one wing at a time, at most! I may not be adding enough retarder to my paint to make it comfortable though.

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                              Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Skeeterdeee
                              Participant

Wow! Great video, Sagi!! It’s neat to hear forum members actually speak! πŸ˜€

Kelly
                                Participant

Great video Sagi. I also used a sponge and cloth to remove the antiquing as well. I didn’t leave it on as long as you. I got paranoid it was all going to stay black on me. Also being in such a small space I figured it wasn’t going to need that much time to dry. I never thought to clear coat it first. Why the clear coat? Wouldn’t that keep the antiquing from sticking in the crevices? I’m curious. πŸ™‚ Thanks again for the compliments, it does inspire me to paint another one. πŸ™‚

Oh Sagi, your a good host btw. XD cookies? haha.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.