fbpx

Crochet?

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Crochet?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

I crochet too, have since I was about 7 I guess, I have made baby afghans, baby coming home outfits, little doiles, some ballet slipper decorations, a few other things, mostly afghans. I have tried knitting, made a dog sweater once, but I cant figure it out properly. Now i mostly cross stitch when I get the chance, but I had to stop it all when my son was born, now I just need to find time to get back into it.

Oh, I LOVE counted cross stitch! It was the first “craft” I learned to do. I was young too, maybe 6 or 7. I’m working on a Mirabilia right now that’ll take me another year to finish probably. I’ve done quite afew Lavender & Lace patterns and the outcome is beautiful. I think her stuff is the Windstone of the needle working world….

Rusti
    Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Just curious, Rusti, but how much is an Afghan worth if you were to sell it?

Oh, depends, I usually pay out about $20-$25, give or take just for the yarn, so it depends on how much of a pain the thing was to make. I’d love to get $100 for one, but that’s hardly ideal. For a full sized granny square type thing you can wrap up in? Probably $80 or so. $60 if I stopped now and you just got a ‘lapghan’ or something to drape over the back of the couch.

It’s cheaper than what I ask for the hours I spend on artwork, since it doesn’t hurt quite as much. 😉

Or, ya know, I could be talked into trading… 😀

Pegasi1978
      Participant

Yeah! There are other counted cross-stitch fans out there too. I know what you mean ruffian about having to stop when you’re son was born. I had my son two years ago and have only finished one project in that time: a butterfly pillow that was a Christmas present for my mother-in-law. I have to stitch when he’s asleep.

I tend to collect counted cross-stitch kits like people collect PYO sculpts to paint. I think I have at least 5 full kits and then several more patterns that I need to get the materials for. I need to get busy and start working on them a little bit at a time and not buy anymore until I finish the ones I have. It helps that I haven’t seen any kits I’ve wanted to buy in a while.

Well, don’t undersell yourself, Rusti, with the skill and quality you obviously put into these afghans. While it may not be a hassle to do one, you still spend hours on them. Don’t want to be making near-slave wages. Trades are a good idea though. 😉

Oooh, cross-stitch is another one I love! I’ve got way too many unfinished projects though. Anyone else do rug-hooking? Needlepoint? Embroidery? Um… macramé?

Ok, even I don’t do macramé. ;D I’d be surprised if anyone here did, even occasionally. Though I suppose it’s making a comeback…

*snort!* You don’t WANT to know how many cross-stitch kits, patterns and stuff I have in my closet… far more than five, but fewer than two hundred perhaps…

Rusti
        Participant

I know, what I may ask is probably way too cheap, but it’s sort of just something I do while I watch or read LJ or the forums I visit, or in between posts when I RP. I put a lot more thought and pain into my artwork than I ever will crocheting.

I don’t really have an outlet to sell them here in town, unless I paid out the nose $125 for a booth at HerrinFesta when I’m not absolutely certain I could make that back, and I’ve checked ebay, nobody’s buying them there.

Ah well, nobody pays for nice things anymore, it’s hard even to get commissions sometimes. Poor is the word around here lately.

I would trade for Windstones, though, if someone offered the right ones, but other’n that, they go for what I can get for ’em.

I find people don’t want to pay what an afghan is worth. I have tried selling some with no luck. However, folks will buy ponchos and scarves like crazy at a nice craft fair. That booth price doesn’t sound bad by the way….I usually pay between $100 & $350 depending on how many days the show is.

I made this for my niece, I cross stitched the center dragon and quilted around them, the quilting isnt great, but it is my first attempt at doing it:

earth dragon

water dragon

hope dragon

spirit dragon

air dragon

fire dragon

It isnt great, like I said, but I sure enjoyed doing it.

I like those!! What a great way to enhance the cross stitch!! Great work, and what a wonderful gift!

lamortefille
          Participant

Wow – that is way cool!

Skigod377
            Participant

I love the colors on the hope dragon. Lovely!

I like the air dragon with all the different imagery in the quilting.

Quilting is something I don’t think I have the patience for. I’m too picky; having to trim and fold and stitch to fit EXACTLY would drive me nuts…

Andrea
              Participant

I love the blue and grey!
                I used to crochet, but kids…Need I say more?
                The last project I did, I started when I was watching a really intense movie. Well, the first row turned out to be a good 20 feet long. Instead of taking out all that work, I just kept going.
                The finished product is 15 x 20 foot and about 20 lbs.
                It’s beautiful, but we hate using it cause it’s such a pain to fold back up!

OOooh, those are cool Ruffin. Also did you know you are missing a “d” in your sig.

I only hand crochet. I have a afghan that my ex-friend made for me. It is a king size one and I only had to pay for the yarn, but it doesn’t keep you warm because she used big hooks.

Maria
                Participant

I like those quilts, ruff. That’s a really neat idea.
                  Rusti – I only just saw your answer. Can I say I’m shocked at how little you’d sell them for? That’s a steal. One fine month when my CC isn’t prebooked to the full with OWs and griffins I just might commission one from you. But not until after the griffins are out, so it’ll be a while.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.