fbpx

Color matching- Kirin

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Color matching- Kirin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jillian
    Participant

I have a beautiful male kirin with some rub marks on his glorious mane which were well hidden in his auction listing. Does anyone know how to best go about color matching this family? I would like to touch him up, but hesitate. I’m hoping someone has an easy answer for me. ^^;

Thanks in advance to anyone with tips or advice.

Member Type/Orientation: Chaotic Creative/ Occasional Freelance/40hrDayJob

Wishlisty~Old Warrior/Stone::Rising Spectral/Violet Flame::
      ANY Peacock or White~I only have a white fledgling and several white PYO 😅 ::
      ** Matching pair of sun & moon oriental dragons**
      **test paint/Grab-bag ki-rin or gryphons**
      Grail: March 2023 raffle piece (a girl can dream!)

pipsxlch
      Participant

I touched one up once with some out of the tube Golden paint, burnt sienna I think it was but will have to check.
        Checked it was.

Nightcrow
        Participant

I painted my “partial albino” PYO kirin to match the original family in his non-albino areas. It’s been a few years, but I’m pretty sure the main paint I used was Liquitex Concentrated Arist Color Medium Viscosity Acrylic in “Burnt Siena.”

It was my base color for the chestnut parts, and looks very close to the original family! More so than the Standing Baby, actually, who is more orange in color than my older kirins.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Nightcrow
          Participant

Here’s my PYO and the original family, for comparison:

Weirdly, both my Baby Kirins have that very orangey tone on their faces, and on the legs, too, for the Standing Baby, but neither of the adults do. There may be adults out there who have it, though, and if you have ones like that there might be other paints that work better for it; I haven’t tried to match it, so I’m not sure how far off in tone it is from the Liquitex Burnt Siena.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Lisa
            Participant

[blockquote]Here’s my PYO and the original family[/blockquote]

Did you paint that one yourself? He is so gorgeous and fits so well with his family. I love it.

Grail: Poad (achievement unlocked!) Am now on the hunt for almost any color scratching dragon

Bodine
              Participant

What is the body color?

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
                (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Jillian
                Participant

[blockquote]I painted my “partial albino” PYO kirin to match the original family in his non-albino areas. It’s been a few years, but I’m pretty sure the main paint I used was Liquitex Concentrated Arist Color Medium Viscosity Acrylic in “Burnt Siena.”

It was my base color for the chestnut parts, and looks very close to the original family! More so than the Standing Baby, actually, who is more orange in color than my older kirins.[/blockquote]

WowWow! Good info, and a beautiful collection! I love the piebald look to your PYO Kirin! The colors definitely read the same as your production pieces and I love how unified the family looks all together. 🙂

Funny enough, I think I may have examples of both paint types. I could be wrong though, and one may be more aged than the other. Both need a lil TLC.
                  [img]https://i.imgur.com/YeetrJz.jpg[/img]

I think the one with the leg damage is a bit darker than my first father ki-rin purchase. Depending on how the touch-up goes with the one with just scuffs, I may either restore or repaint the one I’ll probably have to break again to fix. :’)

[Blockquote]What is the body color?[/blockquote]
                  This info could also be useful! Looks like a pearl + gold to me, but would be nice to have someone with experience chime in. Might need the info for the restoration plan. :0

Thank y’all for your responses- I’ll try to update this thread as I work on these fellas.

Member Type/Orientation: Chaotic Creative/ Occasional Freelance/40hrDayJob

Wishlisty~Old Warrior/Stone::Rising Spectral/Violet Flame::
                  ANY Peacock or White~I only have a white fledgling and several white PYO 😅 ::
                  ** Matching pair of sun & moon oriental dragons**
                  **test paint/Grab-bag ki-rin or gryphons**
                  Grail: March 2023 raffle piece (a girl can dream!)

pipsxlch
                  Participant

Once again I’ll doublecheck the color, will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. But I did indeed use a Golden brand pearl, and I could’nt tell it from the original paint.

Nightcrow
                    Participant

What is the body color?

Sorry, I missed this question! For the scales, I used a Liquitex pearl white paint over a white acrylic basecoat. Then I used a very dilute wash of the Burnt Sienna to ‘antique’ the creases and give it some depth.

The Liquitex pearl white is a hint… cooler? greyer? than the factory color, I do remember noting that! But I decided it was close enough that I decided against tinkering with it; from normal viewing distance (i.e., NOT with your nose three inches from the piece as you’re painting it!) there’s not enough difference to make it worthwhile.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.