fbpx

Clear coat issues–too darn shiny! [Resolved]

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Clear coat issues–too darn shiny! [Resolved]

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Sirithiliel
    Participant

top row is the before pictures. Second row is antique over the gloss sealant, with the matte finish on top of that. the antiqueing didn’t do much for the shiny nature of it, but it did fill in the cracks so that does make a bit of difference. but especially on the haunches of the cat part, you can see the difference. =)

Pam

I get a matte finish on glossy stuff by dry-brushing the clearcoat on.

Sorry for disappearing for a bit there, gang, things went a little sideways here for a few days. Hopefully we’re back on track.

I get a matte finish on glossy stuff by dry-brushing the clearcoat on.

Pam, I love this idea, and I’m going to have to experiment a bit with it. I really don’t feel like I’ve mastered dry-brushing yet, and this piece has been such a bear to work with, I just didn’t want to run the risk of somehow making him even glossier. LOL

I went the easiest (and cheapest) route–fresh can of Krylon Matte finish. It was an utterly amazingly nice weekend in the Northwest, unheard of in this area in May, so I taped his eyes and hauled his shiny butt outside. It took two coats (because yeah, haven’t mastered spray cans either!), and there are still a few spots that to me are notably glossier than others. This is probably user failure. I probably didn’t get an even coat in my fear that I’d get too much on it and end up with the dreaded milky finish that matte coats are prone to when you do too many of them.

Did it dull him down? Yes. Completely flat? No. He’s closer to a satin finish now, and that’s good enough. When he’s glaring at me on my desk, there are no longer spots on him where the glare hid the details of Melody’s sculpting or my paint job, and at this point on this particular piece, I’m completely fine with that.

This is basically what he looks like in his usual position, save that he’s a bit darker overall. One warm halogen to the left of the image and indirectly window lighting from the right:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPad App

Some of the gloss in that pic is actually less shiny than it appears here–the phone by nature boosts contrast past what it should, so the highlights are boosted. The white hotspot on his front haunch is one of the spots that I think *IS* still too glossy due to my uneven spraying, and I’ll eventually dull that down a little with something else. It’s larger than it appears here. But hey, without turning him in any direction, I can see his major stars, most of the minor ones, and the texture of his fur all over, without glare blocking any of it. Most of that wasn’t possible during his shiniest stages.

The Krylon matte I bought was NOT the low odor version. Just an FYI, and your experience may be different, but that version was strongly not recommended on a number of modeller’s forums as being way too prone to milky issues. The regular Krylon wasn’t too bad as far as odor, better than some of their other products I’ve had.

Thank you all for both help and encouragement! This one really was a devil of a critter to work with…but I suppose I’ve learned a lot from him. 😉

Bodine
        Participant

Diamond dust!Now THAT’S an idea!! :bigsmile:
          Don’t hide it away.I am sure if you don’t like it,someone else will,rehome it,do another.Just a thought.

You should have heard me threatening to paint a red glitter thong on him yesterday–complete with tiny dollar bills sticking out of it. “You want to sparkle? I’ll make you freaking sparkle!” I haven’t seen my husband laugh that hard in a long time. J)

Problem with rehoming him is that this boyo is going nowhere. He’s based on a character of mine that I love very much (who is also, BTW, a stubborn, recalcitrant SOB sometimes. I should have predicted this…). I’ve had plenty of offers to take him, and a couple people who’ve asked if I’ll do another one–possibly, but not an identical one, because this one is too important to me. No…I really do have to get this right. And besides, I refuse to be outsmarted by fake rock!

FlamingDragon–thanks for all the help. I didn’t know that Liquitex makes an ultra matte finish; it might be something for me to keep on hand for certain projects. Michaels does *usually* carry a fair amount of their product. Unfortunately, when I went yesterday, they were out of a LOT of stuff, including the regular matte, and nearly all of the Golden’s mediums and finishes too. Amazon also carries a fair amount of the Liquitex line, usually with Prime shipping (or their order $25, get free ground shipping deal).

Also very good to know you find the Liquitex paints to be more “sticky” than the finishes. I’ve heard complaints both ways, and people who like both, so perhaps this is a situation where I need to try it for myself. I’m brand neutral–paints are W&N Galeria, mediums & retarder are a mix of Liquitex & Golden, so I’m certainly willing to give the Liquitex finish a shot if this next coat of DuraClear doesn’t cut it. I haven’t yet applied that next layer as I’ve been a bit sick this morning, but some time this afternoon, I’ll stir up the DuraClear matte and give it another shot.

ROFLMAO!!!!!Red thong AND glitter! 😀 I choked when i read that.LOLOL

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

ROFLMAO!!!!!Red thong AND glitter! 😀 I choked when i read that.LOLOL

LOL–even when we were picking up the Krylon Matte at Michaels, hubby was asking, “Now, you’re sure you don’t need that red glitter?” :p

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.