Classified Ad photo questions

Home Forums Miscellany Help & Feedback Classified Ad photo questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nightcrow
    Participant

I’m trying to restore all my classified ads that were lost in the shift, and have been running into a couple of issues related to photos.

First: it’s incredibly difficult to figure out how to set a thumbnail image for my ad! There is nothing in any part of the ad creation process about how to do this; I had to take a best guess (upload something, and hope there’s a tickybox for “make this my thumbnail”?) and hope. It does seem to work – the only image I uploaded is now showing as the thumbnail – but I have no idea how it would decide if I’d uploaded more, and it still doesn’t say anywhere on the screen that that’s where the thumbnail image comes from.

Second: Twice I tried to upload a photo for the ad thumbnail, only to be told that it didn’t meet the size limit. Both times, the photos were <i>smaller</i> than the specified size! Does this mean that photos must be <i>precisely</i> 640x[?] in order to be uploaded?! That seems ridiculously specific and a gigantic pain in the tail for anyone who’s not a Photoshop master. Or does it meant that there is no maximum limit, only a lower limit? That seems like an invitation to misuse.

Any advice is appreciated!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Kim
      Blocked

The thumbnail is the first picture you upload and the rest just follow in line on the ad. The upload size for photos is frustrating. There is a lower and upper limit for size so I had to experiment a few times to get my photos the right size. It seems like a fairly narrow margin. The photos can’t be larger than 1 MB and the minimum width is 640 pixels. I found if I resized my photos they worked if they were 751×500 pixels.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Jennifer
        Keymaster

I can change the minimum image dimension, I wonder if Clay set it to what it is for a reason? Please let me ask him and I’ll see if I can make this easier for you.
          Right now Images must be 640 pixels wide at a minimum, and not exceed 1mb in size. I’ll see if there is a reason not to decrease the minimum image size.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Jennifer
          Keymaster

I’ve changed the minimum pixel size on any dimension to 350. Any smaller than that and you are entering “too small to see very well” size!

Tip: Items often have a better chance of selling if you take clear, in focus photos that are large enough to see the details/inspect the item 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Nightcrow
            Participant

Thank you – that is very helpful! No reason for thumbnails to be that big; it just results in weird cropping when viewed and makes the ad look awkward. (This is visible in my Pebble Horse ad – I uploaded a full photo of the horse to be used as a thumbnail, and the thumbnail shows the middle two-thirds of a horse!)

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

GardenNinja
              Participant

Nightcrow,
                I think that’s not a size problem – it’s a shape problem. What I did for one of my ads for a PYO keeper (vertical image) was open in MSPaint and select a square around its head, crop, save as a different filename.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.