Cat throwing up science diet?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Cat throwing up science diet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Duld
    Participant

aaahhhh for crying out loud, don’t fight guys

PD, if you´re confused, go to your vet, I have to agree with one thing Rusti said

Rusti wrote:

If you’re concerned about what’s in the Rx diet your cat is eating, you could ask your vet and if they don’t know, they can find the information, because they have access to it.

And I am sure that you all are passionate about your cats and I will never doubt your love for them, so keep calm everybody, I mean this in the best way

peace out peeps and good luck PD 😉 :hi:

Laurie
      Participant

Well good lord now that I feel like the worlds worst cat owner on the planet. I had Hobo to the vet and they suggested either an rx food or the science diet since I can’t afford the rx stuff. I knew some people on here were vet techs so I figured I would ask opinions on here but I didn’t know it would turn into an argument :shrug:

Wow this got nasty. Truce? Or something? I’m seeing mud getting slinged on account of both parties so maybe just ‘kiss and make up’ so to speak (don’t have to literally kiss though…).

Kimi’s never had a problem with Hills. Neither did Fluff. The vet recommended Hills to me. I was more curious because Kimi’s not so …. I don’t know she gets excited when we give her food, then looks at it, eats two bites, buries it (well.. ok, she tries, but it’s kinda hard on a linoleum floor, lol), and then walks away. It disappears over the day though, it’s just not Kimi. She used to scarf and then complain an hour later that she didn’t have any food. >.< Although she still complains that she doesn't have food… lol.

Rusti
        Participant

purpledoggy wrote:

Well good lord now that I feel like the worlds worst cat owner on the planet. I had Hobo to the vet and they suggested either an rx food or the science diet since I can’t afford the rx stuff. I knew some people on here were vet techs so I figured I would ask opinions on here but I didn’t know it would turn into an argument :shrug:

I wouldn’t get too upset about it, PD. What you feed is really nobody’s business except yours and your vet’s. If you had come to a clinic I worked in and told me what you were feeding and Hobo was otherwise healthy, I probably might have suggested you consider something else, if you were asking, but I wouldn’t have pushed it on you. It’s different strokes for different folks, when it comes down to it. In the end owners are going to feed whatever the h-e-doublehockeysticks they want sometimes, but my end-all suggestion is that you learn to trust your vet and openly discuss your nutrition concerns with him/her. If they don’t know, they can find out, they have lots of resources to draw from. A good vet will be more than happy to work with your concerns or explain why they’ve chosen this particular Rx diet for your pet.

At the same time, nothing *I* said was intended to sound like some kind of attack. It’s everything I might have said to a client. The ultimate question is: what’s more important to you? That you have the animal on some diet you approve of and run the risk of at best, a chronic UTI or at worst, a blocked cat and/or kidney disease, or feed the food that you don’t approve of so much and keep the cat crystal free?

Good lord people do you guys not discus things with others who have differing opinions? What exactly makes this a fight, you really think that Rusty and I would play fisty-cuffs over this, or anything else?

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Differing opinions do not equal getting nasty. I have seen LOADS of great, educational discussions on this forum alone where the tone and use of language didn’t turn ugly. Remember, you attract more flies with honey.

That said, I haven’t seen anything get truly nasty here, but it could easily go that way! So I am here now to say something. 😉

Differing opinions are fine. You can present them in a way that is not an attack.

PD, Rusty said is pretty accurate to how I’ve seen most vest work; they may suggest you move up to a better diet, but if your cat is healthy and happy you are doing okay. Often just a switch to new food, if not done very gradually over a week or two, will upset their GI tract enough to have them toss up their food… I have seen this happen very often, which is why I used to suggest to customers that were switching food brands to do so slowly and gradually. Maybe see if that helps?

Pet care has become one of those ‘internet hot spots’ where people can get very, very upset very easily. On my parrot communities we joke and call it ‘one true way-isim’. I could very easily be like this myself, because the amount of misinformation and neglect often appalls me and I want to virtually ‘slap’ some people with my words. It’s very easy to get passionate about these things. I have found, however, that this causes way more grief than it helps, and in the end usually turns the very people I am trying to HELP away from my advice because I came on too strongly. Gentle guidance is always best… share your thoughts, provide some links to further reading if you can, and let the owner decide what they will do. Sometimes it’s not for the best, and that’s depressing, truly… because the pets do depend on us for their entire life’s needs. But at the same time, there is rarely hope for the person that you force information onto, because the normal human reaction is to blanch away from it.

Starting a post with “How Dare I..” or any other tone… goodness, how can you really expect people to react? Hehe of course it looks like a verbal fight!
            Saying something such as “In my personal experience and research I have found XXX to be a poor choice for my cats, it does this and this, here is more information if you want it: (LINK)” Is a much better way to garner respect and have someone take your argument seriously. Honest!

Is it true that some diets are much better for our pets than others? Absolutely! Do I look down on owners that feed a less nutritionally complete diet because that’s all they can afford? No– because it’s a double edged sword. While I firmly believe that people should only consider pets if their finances allow for proper care, I can’t help but think of the millions of pets put down each year just because there is no home for them… and truly, I would rather see more of them find homes that maybe feed them a bit more junkfood than they should have and live however long a happy life that gives them, than not have a chance at all. Is it perfect? No… it’s sad! But the world is not perfect. 🙁

Something to consider.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Setsunawolf
            Participant

I have a dog with a stomach ulcer. He actually has to eat foods with a lot of filler because the premium foods have too much protein. It upsets his tummy and he won’t eat them. I’ve also seen foster dogs who do better on the grocery store brands because the premium foods are too rich for them. Something to consider.

I’ve also fed my cats Purina cat chow for years. My cats tend to live between 13-17 years. Although I did have a cat with crystals and she needed the Science Diet X/D, she actually did better on it and it cleared up her UTIs and crystals as long as that was all she ate.

The RX formulas do work, and they do address the problems they were designed for. But what works for every animal is different and we need to keep that in mind.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
              Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
              Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.