fbpx

Cat Problems – Feral Faye the indoor Feral Cat

Home Forums Miscellany Community Cat Problems – Feral Faye the indoor Feral Cat

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Setsunawolf
    Participant

Lol, yep the eye condition. His eyes constantly dart from side from side. According to him, the darting doesn’t really effect his ability to see.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
      Sun Dragon Koi #3

StormDancer
      Participant

Speaking as a working vet tech. I can guarantee if the cat is trying to eat you alive at home it will be a LOT worse for the vet.

The vet I work for would suggest you bring the cat in in a live trap so, as already suggested, we could tranquilize her still in the trap.

Trying to get tranquilizer into a cat like that before bringing it in would probably just end up with someone needing stitches.
        In Colorado at least we can not just dispense a tranquilizer for something the vet hasn’t seen.

What can be dispensed I doubt would be enough to help your particular cat, she is to sensitive to really get sleepy from a dispensed med.
        Animals like her have to much adrenalin going thru their system to allow the drugs to work as intended.

A cat like you are describing will probably not respond to pheromones or rescue remedy enough to do much good for a vet visit, especially in a situation where you are trying to catch her, take her to the vet or for the vet to work on her.
        They would probably be helpful once she is at home and relaxed again though.

Some vets will make house calls, however they still need to be able to hold and examine her without anyone getting hurt. It does no good if the vet gets injured and cant examine her (or their next clients) for however long they are to injured to work, and cat bites are some of the worst injuries you can get. A lot require a trip to the ER to be sure they did not manage to bite into or nick a tendon or joint capsule. And all require a full bout of antibiotics.

If you can, my suggestion would be to contact your vet and see if they have a live trap you could borrow if you don’t have one.
        Considering her sensitivity I doubt she will go into it willingly and so I suggest a thick old comforter and welding gloves. With the gloves on and the trap standing on end with the trap door open I would corner her in a room and toss the comforter over her and grab her. Try to get a grip on the back of her neck (with the comforter still on her) once you have her in a good grip, carry comforter and cat all to the trap and kind of let her wiggle herself out of the comforter and directly into the trap. Shut the trap door and keep the trap covered with the comforter.
        The darkness should help keep her calm. I would keep the cage covered even on the trip to the vets.

I really hope you can get her to a vet and they can figure out what is going on with her.

Good luck!

Looking for:
        "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Terri
        Participant

Drag0nfeathers, out of curiosity, you mentioned that Faye’s eyes constantly flicker back and forth like a speed reading person. Does she have blue eyes, by any chance? And does she have a full tail?
          I’m asking because my American Bobtail, Lillee has blue eyes and they do the same thing. She’s a natural Bobtail born with a little crook at the end of her tail. Said tail is a study in perpetual motion, lol. Marty, my boyfriend calls her “Jeep” after the cartoon critter from the old Popeye cartoons. According to the breeder we adopted her from Bobtails wag when they’re happy, and if so then Lillee is the happiest kitty I’ve ever seen. 😊 But her eyes do that flicker thing and she’s the only cat I’ve ever seen do that. She’s a seal lynx point kinda Siamese color. She’s also the lovingest kitty I’ve ever met, greeting visitors at the door and demanding lap time and giving nose kisses as soon as they sit down. She’s not obviously hampered by the eye thing, but then again I’ve never seen her jump more than 4′ vertically.
          I had another Bobtail from the same breeder; chocolate lynx point, blue eyes, but I’m pretty sure his tail was docked at birth, since his tail bones were totally different from Lillee’s, being very heavy and large at the base; not at all flexible like Lillee’s, whose tail bone is smaller around than my pinkie and about 5″ long. His eyes never did the flicker thing. I know in Manx cats you’re never supposed to breed 2 totally tailless cats because they have a high chance of the kittens being born with various neurological disorders. So I’m just curious about your Faye.

Suzanne-Marie
          Participant

Drag0nfeathers, the eye condition you are describing sounds like horizontal nystagmus; wondering if that might be a neuro issue ??
            Did you run these symptoms 🐱 by your vet??
            Sorry this is going on…
            Big Hugs!!

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

Terri, yes she does have blue eyes. They actually even seem to be more reflective than the norm as well, but maybe it’s just because of the eye color. I wouldn’t describe them as cloudy… but demonic at times LOL! Her eyes are always red with rage like you’re taking a photo with a flash. I’ll post a photo after this, I have very few of them since she bolts if you aim a camera at her so I’ll have to dig through my phone to find one.

It’s strange, both her brother and sister are big, stocky, floofy beefcakes and she is very petite and Siamese-ish in features. It’s possible she has a different father because I’m pretty sure one litter can have more than one father depending on how many males bred with the mother at the time, but no clue.

The good news is we’re on about day 5 now and no more pee… (crossing fingers) the scent of the remedy in her bedding seems to be working so far.

To answer your question Suzanne, she’s never been to a vet. I have never been able to catch her to bring her. The live trap route will probably have to be what we do if it comes to that in the future, but I think if we ever manage to catch her in it she will NEVER trust us again.

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Melody
              Keymaster

Terri, yes she does have blue eyes. They actually even seem to be more reflective than the norm as well, but maybe it’s just because of the eye color. I wouldn’t describe them as cloudy… but demonic at times LOL! Her eyes are always red with rage like you’re taking a photo with a flash. I’ll post a photo after this, I have very few of them since she bolts if you aim a camera at her so I’ll have to dig through my phone to find one.

It’s strange, both her brother and sister are big, stocky, floofy beefcakes and she is very petite and Siamese-ish in features. It’s possible she has a different father because I’m pretty sure one litter can have more than one father depending on how many males bred with the mother at the time, but no clue.

The good news is we’re on about day 5 now and no more pee… (crossing fingers) the scent of the remedy in her bedding seems to be working so far.

To answer your question Suzanne, she’s never been to a vet. I have never been able to catch her to bring her. The live trap route will probably have to be what we do if it comes to that in the future, but I think if we ever manage to catch her in it she will NEVER trust us again.

You mentioned that her eyes seem extra reflective, this might mean her pupils don’t constrict. Are her eyes normally slits in the bright light? We were told by our vet that permanently dilated eyes could be a symptom of high blood pressure in cats, which is a symptom of other stuff, like a kidney problem, which could have something to do with the peeing problem, which causes the taking-to-the-vet-problem … a choo-choo train of problems.

Terri
                Participant

Every blue-eyed creature I’ve had, from horse down to cats, their eyes have all always reflected bright red when photographed. Kinda unsettling in the case of the horses, since at one point I had 9 of them. There’d be 8 sets of normal, yellow-green reflected eyes and 1set of bright red…..lol.

On the multiple fathers in the litters of kittens, the answer is yes, absolutely true. Each kitten can have a different father. Faye may have been the runt of the litter. I’m glad to hear that she’s back to using the kitty box again. Keeping the whiskers crossed for continued success!

drag0nfeathers
                  Participant

Ah! That’s interesting Melody! Now that you mention it I don’t think I ever have seen her eyes constricted… although that may be by the time you get a look at her, her eyes are large and round from the fear of just being approached… I’ll take a closer look for that.

and I don’t mean her eyes are red when photographed, I mean they are, but literally her eyes look almost albino at times. I know she’s not albino, but the pigment in her pupil is always like that.

Got a busted Windstone?
                    *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                    Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                    Siphlophis Male Dragon
                    Calypso Hatching Empress
                    Tattoo Mother Kirin

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

Only pics I currently have of Faye are when shes spooning with with Jet, our senior who gives her a safe space.

It’s hard to see her eyes since you can only really approach her for a picture when she’s napping. They’re almost never fully closed and her ears are always alert ti sounds even when she seems to be sleeping.

received_291819345483065

received_320063189039566

Got a busted Windstone?
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

Believe it or not, this is her brother and sister…

received_710207706434444

received_317360626311188

Got a busted Windstone?
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin

Suzanne-Marie
                        Participant

Beautiful kitties Drag0nfeathers!!
                          Yes, I read Faye🐱 is unable to be physically taken into the vet; what I meant was per phone have you run her eye and urine issues by a vet??
                          Are her floofy sibs soft to pet ??
                          Glad Faye 🐱 is doing better !!
                          Hugs!!

VS
                          Participant

Glad to hear she’s doing better and no more peeing! She sounds like a case of longevity vs quality of life in regards to her health and seeing a vet, which only you can decide where the balance lies, dragon. I hope all stays at a peaceful status quo going forward!

Terri
                            Participant

They’re all beautiful. I love the sweet faces on her siblings, who look very much like Maine Coons. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•
                              Faye’s coloring is that of a Snowshoe, which is pretty much the short hair version of a Ragdoll. She’s beautiful.
                              Here’s to hoping for continued success!
                              πŸ™πŸ»πŸ’•πŸ€žπŸ‘

drag0nfeathers
                              Participant

Well we had about 2 weeks of no countertop wetting and then suddenly it struck again yesterday without warning. I just broke down and got a in home pet-video camera. I want to catch them in the act… this was more like male urine, not like the 1st round of incidents so now I think someone is copying her. Ugh!Humid 95 degree weather is NOT the best time to be dealing with this!

Got a busted Windstone?
                                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                                Calypso Hatching Empress
                                Tattoo Mother Kirin

Elizabeth Davis
                                Participant

How is Feral Faye doing? Could you give us an update? I’m a “certified” Crazy Cat Lady and I have an older ex-feral female cat that has very similar problems to your cat so I may be able to give some useful advice? All my cats have been either rescues or feral & 2 of them were the equal of yours or worse… yes it’s possible! Lol

One cat away from crazy...

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.