fbpx

Can’t Believe I Just Noticed This…

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Can’t Believe I Just Noticed This…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    drag0nfeathers
    Participant

So this is not my auction, BUT I happened to glance at it when I saw the listing and a photo caught my eye

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windstone-Editions-Melody-Pena-034-Violet-Flame-034-Oriental-Sun-Dragon-NIB-/174540787956?hash=item28a37110f4%3Ag%3A1PQAAOSwLKxfxb7m&nma=true&si=SOHtx84hNF2m0pt9k9JApFvhizM%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The owner photographed the belly on this piece and it has a center row of scales down the belly in gold that I had never seen before. I rushed up to my attic as I did buy the sun and moon set when they came out in Violet Flame but they are still in their boxes because I didn’t have a place to display them yet. I opened them and checked them and the do indeed BOTH have these bellies. I’ve never seen any other Sun or Moon with them though. I know the bellies are a pain to sand down which is one of the reasons we don’t see them released in the store very often, so I assume this was a way to prevent that problem, but what happened to them? Is there a reason they were only done like this for the Violet Flame?

Personally I won the Solar Flare Sun Dragon and the Lightning Moon Dragon and they still have smooth bellies. Were they old castings or were the Violet Flames an experiment?

I just find historical stuff like this interesting in sculpture modifications. Like how the prototype Old Warrior and production one compare and the soft feather vs. current PYO griffins.

I like the smooth belly personally just because of how the neck and tail transitions, but on the other hand it matches the style of the newer sitting oriental so I’m flip flopping on which style I like better. I guess I like them both for different reasons.

Got a busted Windstone?
      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
      Siphlophis Male Dragon
      Calypso Hatching Empress
      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
      Tattoo Mother Kirin
      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

LZ
      Participant

There was a post a while ago about redoing the orientals in order to make them easier to cast. As violet flame was the newest ori color, it must have been part of the new casting test.

Looking for...

Sitting young oriental dragon koi gold and white

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

That’s what I had figured, but the Violet Flames were quite a while ago now and then we never saw them again, yet new test paints seem to be being produced with the old style flat belly which was why I was wondering if it was an abandoned experiment or if the test paints were still using old castings and eventually we would see the newer belly style coming out.

Got a busted Windstone?
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Tattoo Mother Kirin

Melody
          Keymaster

The Sun and Moon Orientals were so hard to clean up after casting ( took about 45 minutes apiece) that we couldn’t afford to sell them as regular colors. We use the remaining stock of old-style Orientals for ebay pieces only.
            I changed the sculpts to have a zipper of scales down the middle of the belly as a place to put the parting line, so it was easier to clean off. I also joined the Moon dragon’s front legs and added some fluff to the Sun dragon’s front leg so that the parting lines can end in the middle of their bellies.

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

Ooooooh! I didn’t notice the fur was different too on the Sun Dragon feet. I’ll have to go and compare now. Weird things excite me.

Got a busted Windstone?
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Tattoo Mother Kirin

Setsunawolf
              Participant

I think I only have old style Orientals. Share what you find please.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.