fbpx

Can you paint over the finish?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Can you paint over the finish?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dragonmedley
    Participant

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

dragonmedley
      Participant

Let’s say I want to retouch a finished piece – ok, my PYO silver dragon. I used a satin finish, an acrylic one, same brand as the paint (the Folkart, I believe – I’m at work, so I don’t have the things in front of me). Can I repaint over the finish, then refinish it? Is there any history of paint flaking off?

Skigod377
        Participant

I think Arlla has done it on a griffin for Drag0n and Tfsculptures has talked a little about it. I have not tried it, but from what I have read on here, its not uncommon.

frozendragon
          Participant

a few people have done it…

it shouldn’t be too hard…I would just watch if you respray it that the paint doesn’t run

drag0nfeathers
            Participant

I’ve done it before and it has seemed to be fine, you just have to use the same, or a sililar finish over the place you touch up.

If you want to do a complete repaint, that’s fine too, just getting the fisrt coat on is a pain over a finish. The pink griffin in my gallery was a complete repaint from this…

Got a busted Windstone?
              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
              Siphlophis Male Dragon
              Calypso Hatching Empress
              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
              Tattoo Mother Kirin
              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Arlla
              Participant

I didn’t have any problems, though as Drag0n said, you’ll want to put the same finish over your touch ups as you did the first time round, otherwise you’ll get patches that reflect the light differently. The paint slides a teensey bit more on the finish, making it a little harder to blend, but it’s not too bad.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
                -J R R Tolkien

dragonmedley
                Participant

Thanks everyone! I’m reassured.

Arlla
                  Participant

Hey, I remember that griffin Drag0n! Didn’t you put that up on ebay? Or at least a picture of it? How the HECK did you get such regular beautiful antiquing that goes into every tiny little crevice?? It’s beautiful! I wish I could do that….

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
                    -J R R Tolkien

Dude, I second that! This was my favorite griffin to date when it came down to style, though the colors weren’t my thing. I adore the effects on this antiqing.

Also, I have repainted over gloss and matte coats before for touch-ups and things, and to recolor areas. However, metallics and interferance paints don’t do this very well so you’d almost have to matte coat it first if you wanted to use those atop your current paint job.

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

That because it wasn’t antiqued, the whole thing had a black base coat and I dry brushed the whole thing. It was done the same was as my brown tiger one with the exception I antiqued the tiger half on that one. I used it in my fist auction as a “sample” of my work. It was one of the first ones I painted. Alot of people sent me comments about how ugly it was and I painted over it, hehe! That is actually my pink griffin, that’s why the feathers look so soft on it becuase it is actually a repaint and has alot of layers on it, washing out the details. Plus it was one of the prototype griffins to begin with.
                      Here’s a batter picture of it after the repaint.
                      http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/drag0nfeathers/PinkGriffin130.jpg

I used to do everything drybrushed, just recently with the more current PYOs did I start blending and antiquing. I hate antiquing as a rule. It’s really messy and sometimes can rub off paint you didn’t want to take off. Drybrushing is a bit more time cnsuming, but the details look amazing if you keep at it.

Got a busted Windstone?
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin

Drybrushing is my arch nemesis…I think it was merely the color combo people didn’t like, because I liked that style of yours as much as the blended ones.

drag0nfeathers
                      Participant

Yea, I agree, I know the colors were a bad combination, but it was my *muse* so to speak. Every area was a different color just to try and show off different color combinations and how bright they could be. I’m glad I redid it, but I do miss the old fella =)

I’m a pro at drybrushing. It’s second nature to me. All of my PYOs have SOME form of drybrushing in them SOMEWHERE> I can’t ever escape it =)

Got a busted Windstone?
                        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                        Siphlophis Male Dragon
                        Calypso Hatching Empress
                        Tattoo Mother Kirin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.