Can anyone translate Runes?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Can anyone translate Runes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Scathach
    Participant

I have a large stone (roughly 2 x 3 feet) with Runes written all around the border and a large symbol in the centre.

I don’t know how to read it or what the symbols mean and it would mean a lot to have it translated.

Please pm and I can give you more information.

Thanks

Life is beautiful.

Bodine
      Participant

Wow,how cool! Good luck.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Scathach
        Participant

Thanks

Life is beautiful.

Zexious
          Participant

I don’t know anything about Runes, but maybe posting a picture here will get you a little more exposure, and make it more likely someone will be in a position to help you out? 🙂

Good luck! 😀

Scathach
            Participant

Agreed.  However, I am currently photo-challenged. I’ll see what I can pull together.

I’d welcome any help posting pics.

Life is beautiful.

etruscan
              Participant

You can post photos directly from your computer.  Clay explains how to do it on page 19 of “New website concerns (fixes, suggestions, etc)” which is under “Help and Feedback”.

https://windstoneeditions.com/topic/new-website-concerns/page/19/

GardenNinja
                Participant

Do you know what language they are? I don’t know runes, but looking up the individual letters shouldn’t be a problem with Google. I dabble in linguistics, and if the inscription is not very long, I’d like to see if I can do the necessary research to give it a try – especially if it is in a Germanic language, since that is what I know best.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

StormDancer
                  Participant

The runes I know are Nordic and are called Elder Futhark. There are 24 in the alphabet. I have studied runes but I’m not sure if I have any books on outright literal translation for each rune. A lot of the runes are given a general meaning.  Which is then affected by the runes closest to them.

I’m not sure if I could figure out a literal translation,  but given some time,  I’d be willing to see what I could come up with.

Looking for:
                    "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

GardenNinja
                    Participant

Sounds like you’d have a much better chance of success than me! I’ve been curious about runes, and I’ve read some about them, but I’ve never actually tried to learn them. Most of my knowledge is in modern languages.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

StormDancer
                      Participant

Runes have always fascinated and interested me. There are different sets of runes too. There really isn’t any true literal translation of one rune meaning one letter. So translation depends on which set of runes has been used and how they affect each other. Then that goes back to who made the original stone because if it’s modern it can easily end up being a hodge podge of the different sets. A lot of times a large stone like that is just inscribed with random runes so it  “looks good” or used as a way to teach runes. If you like Norse mythology, that is where the Elder runes originated. Odin is the God that brought them to us and gave meaning to them.

Looking for:

Scathach
                        Participant

Thanks, Etruscan.   I’ll take a look.

Life is beautiful.

Scathach
                          Participant

I think they’re Norse.

Life is beautiful.

Scathach
                            Participant

Thank you!  I’ll pm you with details.

Life is beautiful.

Scathach
                              Participant

I’m not sure of the age or origin, but my dad had the stone for at least 60 years.  He received it from a much older person at that time.  I realize that’s relatively new in the world of ancient languages, but it’s pretty old to me.

Life is beautiful.

StormDancer
                                Participant

With that much age it shouldn’t be hodge-podge. It should end up being either Elder or Younger Futhark. I look forward to seeing what I can work out for you.

Looking for:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.