Calling it quits?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Calling it quits?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sarah
    Participant

I have a question I’d like to ask the other people who repair Windstone pieces. At what point do you throw up your hands and say “This is to much to repair”, and when you do call it quits, what do you do with the piece? I’m guessing the answer might be different for an item that is yours verses and item someone else requests you to fix. I know repaints are verboten by Windstone, so I’m not expecting anyone to tell me about that solution.

I don’t mind building out a certain amount of broken or chipped damage, including re-carving detail, but I have a male peacock dragon with a horrible case of “road rash”, the only thing I can think that happened is it fell behind something that was close to the wall causing a lot of the tiny bumps and stuff to get partially chipped off or completely sanded away. I had decent luck rebuilding some of the damage back out, but some of it was just to tough to get to match the other side. I kept going and going, myopically focusing on “fixing it”, even though my husband kept asking if it was worth it. Finally I stopped and looked at it and really had to ask myself if it actually WAS worth it. Bringing it back to factory perfection seems darn nearly impossible. I was toying with the idea of molding those parts from an uninjured dragon, but sadly I have non at the moment, specially as the one I recently bought arrived somewhat destroyed from crap packing. (sigh)

I’m not looking to ditch the item, as I payed very little for it, just curious about what other repairers do, and what their quit point is. Do you keep it, hoping to find a use for some part of it? Scavenge the stones and eyes? Try reselling it if it’s yours?

Bodine
      Participant

If you really want to keep it maybe put it up and work on it a little at the time?Send it to someone that does repairs here if any are currently available?Trade it off or sell it to someone wanting to practice the art of repairs?I remember seeing an ad in classifieds not so long ago about someone wanting damaged ones to learn how but not sure who that was.Whatever you decide I feel for you.I have a big one still sitting unrepaired for the same reason as you.Good luck with your poor baby and hope you do get it fixed.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Sarah
        Participant

Yep, I’m keeping the guy, doing it a little at a time is a great idea, I have plenty of other things I can work on. I feel bad for the guy. I have plenty of damaged things I put aside to fix if I have the skills later on.

It’s funny, chunk of tail and toesz missing? Bring it on, eventually I’ll get it right. Scales missing, horns, wings a bit busted up, bring it too. Damn tiny detail bumps and whatnot…. Eeek! I haven’t yet given up on him, we have all the stuff we need to make a mold (yeah, we do lots of crafts!) and I finally got a dragon I might be able to mold off of. We’ll see. (How great would it be to have a mold of something like that?)

God I’d hate to learn on something like this! I mean, I guess if you managed on something like this you can do almost anything. Although it’s a good thought if I ever have one I’m just not willing to touch, which as crappy as people pack and USPS handles stuff will probably happen some day. :/

I think I just find peoples different skills and limits interesting. I tend to often think if I can do something everyone can, but I know it’s not at all true, I do tons of stuff most people believe they can’t do.

Bodine
          Participant

Good luck with it all.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Nightcrow
            Participant

I would probably just decide to sell the piece (cheaply!) or work out a way to display the piece that hides the damage. It depends on how much effort I’ve already put in, I think. 🙂 There are things where I think, “Oh, I can fix that!” and I’m either right or wrong; and there are things where I know right off that I can’t fix it. (For example, I don’t have the stuff to make molds, so if I need to create a significant body part by taking a mold from an intact piece, I know it’s past my skill level).

If it’s something I have struggled with repairing and kept messing up, I’d probably opt to sell because seeing it would frustrate me – too much reminder of wasted effort. If it’s something I knew right away I couldn’t fix and didn’t really try, I’d be more inclined to go for “display creatively,” and sell only if it was really too damaged to look good from any angle.

(Bodine, you might be thinking of my ad! My Lap Dragons Wanted ad does mention that I’m in the market for Laps with mild-to-moderate damage to practice my repair skills on! So far I’ve fixed up an Emerald with minor claw chips and paint loss, a Ruby with a broken horn mount, a Peacock with a broken face, and an Em-Pea with a broken face + couple of missing face scales + chip in wing! I want to work my way up to things that require more sculpting skill, and I figure I’ll get better quicker if I work with the same sculpt over and over. Laps are my favorites, so it’s also a useful way to add more Laps to the conga without breaking the bank.)

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Sarah
              Participant

HA! I just keep getting busy and forgetting to check my posts! I guess this is proof I’m always way to busy.

Poor man doesn’t have a good display side. When I bought him he was already fairly damaged, but he was DESTROYED in shipping. Actually, I believe he was the item that made me swear off buying the larger pieces from ebay, I simply haven’t gotten a single one whole! No really, not one. Smaller or even mother dragons, sure, fathers or anything like that nope. You’d think people would realize that something that is already broken is fragile and breakable, especially after the buyer tells them they are! So far all but once I was able to make a deal with the horrible packers, so usually I end up with $20 practice pieces. But hey, nothing like something that’s ruined to show you your repair skills are better than you know, when it’s already destroyed you stop worrying about destroying it.

Thankfully I always have tons of projects so I didn’t have to look at the poor guy all that much, so I’ve only just hauled him back out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.