fbpx

Cakes and Cupcakes

Home Forums Miscellany Food Cakes and Cupcakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Hannah
    Participant

I love baking, which I only realized quite recently in the grand scheme of things – about a year ago I decided that I wanted to learn how to make cakes from scratch that tasted better than boxed mix, topped with my own homemade frosting, and I even taught myself how to make fondant. My first cake was a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and topped with homemade fondant.

I didn’t think it was half bad, given it was my first try. Still, my new love of baking easily and quickly turned into a love of baking cupcakes. I made a batch with fondant on top and decided that it wasn’t worth the effort to try to do that to cupcakes when you can just pipe the icing on to make it look great. Also, people were mistaking the fondant for the icing itself, and were surprised by the layer of REAL icing underneath! This is kind of a good thing, since it meant that the fondant tasted good, but bad because I wanted the taste to come from the true icing and cake and not the fondant!

By the way, forgive the images, they’re all from my cell phone and from well before I started using my father’s HD camera πŸ˜€ I’ll get better glamor shots of my cupcakes around the holidays because I plan on making lots of them!

If anyone would like recipes I will gladly post them, but for now I just wanted to enthuse about cupcake making πŸ˜€

Also, if some of the cupcakes look small, it’s because they are! I often make mini cupcakes because they bake and cool faster than regular sized cupcakes (and I get impatient!), but I also get complaints from friends and family that they aren’t big enough, so I sometimes make both small and large.

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

These were the first recipe I made, and are still by far everyone’s favorite. The Guinness gives them a milder chocolate flavor – you can taste the stout but just barely. They taste great with the homemade cream cheese frosting. My sister has demanded that I make these for her when she comes home for Christmas because she’s a huge Guinness fan πŸ˜€ You may notice on the frosting of a few cupcakes in front is an almost yellowish looking bit – this is actually edible gold dust that I tried applying by sprinkling onto the frosting. It ended up clumping too much to look good.

Vanilla Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream

These were supposed to be made as Almond cupcakes, but my brother is allergic to anything almond-y so I tried my hand at making homemade vanilla cake instead. The cake alone reminds me of the taste of a sugar cookie, I love it! The Salted Caramel Buttercream is some of the richest, most delicious icing I’ve ever had – no joke! That’s not boasting either, I didn’t make the recipe up XD It calls for you to hand make the caramel that you put in, and trust me, it’s worth it. It’s so sweet and delicious. If you’re a fan of caramel, you’d love it! Some people find it too sweet though. I sprinkled the top with edible glitter – it kind of reminds me of that fake snow stuff that you can get for miniature towns – it’s really cute and doesn’t detract at all from the taste.

Vanilla Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Possibly the quickest and easiest cupcakes to make. A friend was leaving town and requested some cupcakes at the last minute and I figured this would be a good pair! I sprinkled these cupcakes with some plain old white granulated sugar.

Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Can you tell I like cream cheese frosting yet? XD Oh, I forgot to mention as well that my brother is getting married this upcoming June and his fiancee and him decided to ask me to bake them cupcakes for their wedding “cake”! This is why a lot of the cupcakes are white or pink and have sparkley decorations on them. For these guys I tried sprinkling yellow sugar on top, but I ended up not really liking the look. I wanted orange sugar since they were for Carrot Cake Cupcakes, but the local grocery store didn’t have any πŸ˜†

And finally, for my favorites…

Mocha Cupcakes with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting

These are the most delicious cupcakes ever if you like rich chocolate and mint flavors. However – a warning – they are easily THE MOST fussy cupcakes I’ve ever made! The recipe calls for freshly brewed coffee which is just fine in itself, but the addition of which tends to make the cupcakes very fragile after baking them. I’ve made them twice and both times they have sunk – instead of creating a nice dome like most cupcakes, these dome and then sink back into themselves just a little, creating a flat top. If they bake over the edge of the cupcake wrapper you have to VERY carefully pry them off of the muffin tin and pray that the top itself doesn’t come off in the process! The best way I’ve found to make them is to make them purposely small in the wrappers so that they don’t bake over at all, and stay completely within the confines of their little cupcake wrapper prison πŸ˜› Still, even though they are a royal pain, they are a seriously rich and moist cake and the frosting ties it all together perfectly. I’m definitely making these again for christmas. I topped them off with some crunched up peppermints πŸ™‚

Anyway, if anyone wants any of these recipes, PM me or just hollar in this thread and I’ll post it πŸ™‚

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Hannah
      Participant

Umm now I want a cupcake πŸ˜› , they are awesome though!!

Apari
        Participant

*takes one while you’re not looking* Ha! They look amazingly delicious.. :yum:
          I can bake a frozen pizza. πŸ˜†

twindragonsmum
          Participant

Yeral, those are great! Do you know about the Fancyflours website? They’ve got a ton of awesome stuff for baking and decorating cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc. I particularly LOVE their edible molded sugars and fondants for decorating cupcakes…

http://www.fancyflours.com/cgi-bin/fancyflours/index.html

Have fun!

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

Diana L
            Participant

πŸ™‚ I barely cook much less bake, but what is fondant and what is it made from. You explain while I eat at least one of each of the cupcakes (or more, hahaha).

Pegasi1978
              Participant

You could probably work for/take inspiration from Gigi’s Cupcakes!

machineguts
                Participant

Yummmm those look so amazingly delicious!! :yum:

Hannah
                  Participant

Hehe.. thanks guys! I wish I didn’t love eating them as much as I love making them too πŸ˜†
                    Also, thanks Pegasi and twindragonsmum for the links! I’m running out the door right now but I’ll definitely be checking them out later πŸ™‚

Jasmine
                    Participant

Yeral wrote:

Hehe.. thanks guys! I wish I didn’t love eating them as much as I love making them too πŸ˜†
                      Also, thanks Pegasi and twindragonsmum for the links! I’m running out the door right now but I’ll definitely be checking them out later πŸ™‚

They look so good…do you have an easy chocolate recipe?? I was going to make some for our family Christmas gathering.

Awe man, those look seriously good. πŸ™

Hannah
                      Participant

Jasmine wrote:

Yeral wrote:

They look so good…do you have an easy chocolate recipe?? I was going to make some for our family Christmas gathering.

The only chocolate cupcake recipe that I have any hands-on experience with is the Chocolate Guinness. It’s really not a hard recipe as long as you don’t mind working with the Guinness. And I promise they taste nothing like beer! πŸ˜†

I can type up the recipe on here if you’re interested though πŸ™‚

I was thinking of making some cupcakes for a dessert choice on Thanksgiving too – my brother’s fiancee suggested I find a Pumpkin Cupcake recipe and I think I may take up the challenge!

Hannah
                        Participant

dragoncastle wrote:

πŸ™‚ I barely cook much less bake, but what is fondant and what is it made from. You explain while I eat at least one of each of the cupcakes (or more, hahaha).

I totally forgot to answer your question didn’t I!

Fondant (the way that I make it) is a mixture of melted marshmallows and confectioners sugar. When you knead them together in the right amounts, it creates a dough-like substance which is sweet and edible and you can color and cover cakes and cupcakes or make little shapes out of it. It’s all the rage right now for people’s wedding cakes and whatnot – it just makes the cake look smoother and more streamlined.

It’s actually pretty fun to make, and super easy – but requires a LOT of kneading! Also, your hands get super sticky before the dough sets because of all of the melty marshmallows you have to stick your hands in πŸ™‚ I’m not terribly fond of the way that fondant tastes – I think it detracts from cupcakes simply because it’s got a very marshmallow-y flavor, but its certainly fun to decorate with, and it’s really easy to peel off slices of cake – it’s not required eating!

If you’d like to try making it I can find the exact recipe for you!

Lupin
                          Participant

I’m looking for the Cake recipes & If they’d work for “Full Sized” Cakes?
                            I’m planning on starting to try & make some of them thar “Fancy Cakes” for Fun, but I need Recipes to try! πŸ˜€
                            Hoping not to ever make it on to Cake Wrecks by my own admissions(unless it’s an “Homage to Wrecks”), but thankfully for that you have to be a “Professional”.

Elena
                            Participant

Mmmmmmmm those cupcakes look good…. :yum: :yum: :yum:

I love baking but don’t get to do it very often (have to negotiate with roomies to do so and then beat them off the finished product). I do most of mine around the holidays. I have great pumpkin muffin recipe (from Mum) and this thanksgiving I unearthed my great aunts chocolate beet cake recipe :yum: Have asked what the family wants for christmas baking so I can start planning and am wanting to try a red velvet cake this year. Would love to try your chocolate Guiness recipe!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.