fbpx

Building Shelves with Mom

Home Forums Miscellany Community Building Shelves with Mom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Natasha
    Participant

So, only one of the display cases I bought is going to end up working out in my office. Long story short it was super long and it literally WOULD NOT FIT through the doorway, at all, because the hall there is narrow. Not on its side, not tipped up, no way, no how. It MIGHT have gotten through the window, but it weighs like 400lbs so I don’t want to chance it. But my folks are coming to stay with me this weekend, and will be here for two weeks, and she reminded me that she made several built-in cabinets in her home. They were gorgeous, and she’s super handy, so we are going to turn one wall of my office into a full display case! I’m so excited! She’s definitely better at this sort of stuff than I am, but I take direction well. So, finger’s crossed, I should have a really nice display set up in the next two weeks. Any tips you have are appreciated!

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
      ANY Red Eyed Unis
      ANY Test Paint Bat
      UNIS:
      The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
      Male- Snow Leopard TP
      White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
      Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
      Mother: Okapi
      Gothic - Mahogany
      PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
      DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Angelika_Zen
      Participant

How awesome is that!?! I definitely suggest THICK SHELVES. Wood or thick glass. You have a crazy collection of OOKS, and it would be a shame to damage them. Glass doors are also nice to prevent dust accumulation. Since this is a custom job, perhaps your mom can build them on a wall where they dont get direct sunlight.

I hope you’ll share some pics with us once it’s done 🙂

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Natasha
        Participant

Great tips! Thanks! And yes – the Wall we’re building on is incapable of getting any sunlight! Yay!

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
          ANY Red Eyed Unis
          ANY Test Paint Bat
          UNIS:
          Male- Snow Leopard TP
          Gothic - Mahogany

whisker hunter west
          Participant

Design ideas and questions to consider, other than “make sure it’s sturdy as heck and whole system’s secured to the studs”:
            – Mirror back panels
            – Built in lighting -> wiring paths + lighting locations (probably LED for minimum heat)
            – Glass (or plexiglass) front panels; I think you can get also UV-filtering versions of either to lessen sun damage
            – Lock-able access (if security is a concern – even if it’s just vs. toddlers / kids)
            – Do you want the shelves to be visible pretty wood, or do you want to cover them with a soft material (ex. foam + fabric)?
            – Do you want the shelves to be adjustable, or locked forever into position?
            – Do you want to size specific shelves for specific pieces, or leave them “generic” for maximum flexibility? Do you design for the collection you have, or do you design for the pieces you may get in the future?
            – Is it all for display or do you want to include some hidden storage, or other functionality? (ex. pull-out worktable)

Continuing the family tradition of being obsessed with shiny things.

Natasha
            Participant

You bring up so many things to consider! Thanks so much!

ANY Red Eyed Unis
              ANY Test Paint Bat
              UNIS:
              Male- Snow Leopard TP
              Gothic - Mahogany

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.