Broken Emperor – Advice on Repairing Him?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Broken Emperor – Advice on Repairing Him?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Zafkiel
    Participant

I finally found a White Emperor and was really excited to get him home, but when he arrived, he hadn’t survived the journey. Is anyone able to give advice on the best way to fix him or offer a repair service? Pictures are below, but I’m really not experienced at all with these kinds of things and I don’t want to ruin him anymore than he already is. 🙁 I can take better pictures in the morning if need be. I’ve contacted the seller and the piece was insured, thankfully, but I’m still left with a broken figure.

Thanks in advance!

Amy
      Participant

I’m so sorry that happened 🙁 Getting a broken piece is so frustrating, especially when you weren’t expecting it.

There are people on here who can really make it look like new though. Don’t fret. 🙂

WolfenMachine
        Participant

Thats like *THE* spot all Emperors seem to break. It looks like a clean break. You might try glueing him back together. Get some regular elmers white school glue, put a very thin layer on each side of the break you want to stick together and hold it for about one minute. Let it dry over night. Then get some apoxy sculpt http://www.avesstudio.com and if there are only small gaps you could try filling them in. I know nothing about sculpting so I can’t help you there 🙁 If you ship him, it would cost you around $60 total JUST to ship him (if not more) not including the cost of the repair, and taking the risk of damaging him more if you send him away to someone.

Drag0nfeathers made a really nifty mold to repair a broken emperor she had.

dragonmedley
          Participant

I’m with Wolfen; it is a fairly clean break and in a spot that doesn’t show much unless displayed at eye level.

Glue the pieces back, even the smaller ones if you can and fill the rest up. I don’t use apoxy buy drywall compound – I “sand” the plaster with a humid cloth once it’s dry. I sculpted lines to gently match the rest of the statue (on my White mother) with a toothpick, then I painted it. The FolkArt Metallic Champagne color is extremely close to the original color; apply several thin layers, et voilà!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Zafkiel
            Participant

Thats like *THE* spot all Emperors seem to break. It looks like a clean break. You might try glueing him back together. Get some regular elmers white school glue, put a very thin layer on each side of the break you want to stick together and hold it for about one minute. Let it dry over night. Then get some apoxy sculpt http://www.avesstudio.com and if there are only small gaps you could try filling them in. I know nothing about sculpting so I can’t help you there 🙁 If you ship him, it would cost you around $60 total JUST to ship him (if not more) not including the cost of the repair, and taking the risk of damaging him more if you send him away to someone.

Drag0nfeathers made a really nifty mold to repair a broken emperor she had.

I’ve sent a PM to Drag0nfeathers, but I see in her signature around the forums that she’s got a wait list going so I’ve asked to be put on it if possible. If she’s not open to that, I’ll get some of that apoxy you suggested and fiddle around with that on paper plates until I feel confident enough to apply it to my emperor. Thanks for the advice and the link, Wolfen!

drag0nfeathers
              Participant

Replied! ^_^ I can most definatly fix it, It will just be a while. I’m probably backed up a few months at least right now. >_<

Got a busted Windstone?
                drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                Siphlophis Male Dragon
                Calypso Hatching Empress
                Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                Tattoo Mother Kirin
                Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Zafkiel
                Participant

Replied! ^_^ I can most definatly fix it, It will just be a while. I’m probably backed up a few months at least right now. >_<

No problem! Replied as well. : D

I know I said I was quitting for a while, but I could possibly consider fixing him, I have only two things in my cue to finish dealing with, then I could probably get to him. I highly recommend NOT attempting to glue him yourself if you plan to have someone else do the repairs though.

I have had some repairs be a lot more complicated because someone glued the piece & didn’t line up properly, makes it much harder to fix.

Let me know. I could probably get to him by December.

Kyrin

Zafkiel
                  Participant

I wouldn’t even think of gluing him. I’ve worked with clay pieces that have broken, so I know the repair is harder if they pieces don’t match up, but replacements were available so it wasn’t that big a deal. His pieces will stay in a ziplock bag for safe keeping.

I appreciate your offer, but I’ve already committed to Drag0n.

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

It’s completely up to you Zaf, if you don’t want to wait it’s totally your call. I don’t mind, but like I said, I’d be happy to work on him as well so don’t think I’m pushing you off at all. I’m not doing that in any way, but I’m thinking more like a Feb-ish start date so if time is of the essence there are no hard feelings what so ever if you want him started sooner ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin

Zafkiel
                      Participant

Not at all Drag0n! The Feb time frame works fine with the holiday schedule and all. I don’t mind the wait and I like to stick to what I’ve committed to.I’m not in any rush. : )

drag0nfeathers
                        Participant

Alrighty awesome ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                          Siphlophis Male Dragon
                          Calypso Hatching Empress
                          Tattoo Mother Kirin

That works, I knew Drag0nfeathers was a bit swamped, so I thought I would offer.

Kyrin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.