fbpx

Boxed In

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

I have a question about the relative worth of box’s. I’ve noticed while watching on e-bay and here in the forums, that some sellers will advertize whether or not a particular peice still has it’s original box and tag. In regards to the box the only thing usefull that I can see with having the original box is that it makes it easier to pack for resale or moving. The box’s themselves are not in any way special and, I would assume, not on display. With special care you can repack a peice into a different box any way so why take so much care to save up empty box’s which end up being just giant dust collectors and fire hazards? Does having an original box increase a peice’s value, even if the peice has already been out of the box and on display?

In regards to the hang tags. Some of the earlier peices never even came with tags. The tags themselves appear to be pretty much generic. Why don’t they offer the tags for sale for those people that desire them and have lost or misplaced the original ones? Maybe you could order replacement box’s from the factory to. πŸ˜†

I know that collectors of different items have certain criteria that they are looking for in objects that they are considering purchasing but I find that keeping box’s is a little bit quirky even for collectors, or is it just me.

Maebnus
    Participant

vanquish wrote:

In regards to the box the only thing usefull that I can see with having the original box is that it makes it easier to pack for resale or moving. The box’s themselves are not in any way special and, I would assume, not on display. With special care you can repack a peice into a different box any way so why take so much care to save up empty box’s which end up being just giant dust collectors and fire hazards?

For me, I suppose it really is just about being able to move the piece securely, or store it. I’m lazy… I’d much rather put it in the box it came in, that it already fits in perfectly, than find a box that’s big enough, get all the stuff needed to protect it inside, and then pack it to my personal satisfaction. Worse yet, multiply that task 100+ times. Ugh. I’ll gladly sacrifice storage space for convenience. Plus it takes up space that I’d end up filling with other normally-useless junk anyway, so why not?

Quote:

Does having an original box increase a peice’s value, even if the peice has already been out of the box and on display?

That’s going to vary by collector. For the reason stated above (along with a better chance of getting the piece intact), I am willing to pay more for one with a box than without (assuming I’m comparing two of the same piece w/ the same coloration and condition). I’ve gone as far as to pay for the original box (with preformed innards) without the piece inside to replace missing boxes. Several times. But that being said, if I really want a piece, a missing box will not keep me from going after it if it’s fairly priced.

Quote:

I know that collectors of different items have certain criteria that they are looking for in objects that they are considering purchasing but I find that keeping box’s is a little bit quirky even for collectors, or is it just me.

I don’t know if it’s quirky or not, but that’s how I’ve always been. My mother kept all her boxes for her David Winter cottages when she collected them (I would NOT want to pack those w/o the original boxes and hope they’d survive), and I’ve always done the same with breakable collectibles. I also keep all the boxes to my electronics and appliances… so I may be a little weirder than most :). But then, when you normally have to move every 2-4 years, you sometimes jump at any chance to feel in control of at least one part of your move, and feel more secure about important belongings when they’re out of your possession. I suppose if I lived in one place for 20 years, I might not care so much… or I could be the lady with an entire basement full of boxes πŸ˜• :lol:. I think at this point, the latter is more likely.

BDW
      Participant

If someone is planing to resale the Windstone purchased then it’s good to keep the original boxes, specialy for the bigger Windstones. The original boxes are well made to protect the Windstones and the inside “padding” is more solid than other “padding” we can use, resulting in better protection for the item.

Copper83
        Participant

I wouldn’t buy a larger Windstone without it’s box. Do you have any large Windstones? The boxes are made specially for them and are better than about anything you could come up with. It’s important to save the bag they come in too, to protect the the paint from rubs.

I have over half of my original boxes. If not for a male cat I had years ago, I would have them all. There is NOTHING better than the original boxes to store/move them in.
          To me, it doesn’t matter if the box is there or not. I have been moving mine for years. Lets see…I have moved in the past 23 years, 7 times. None of my Windstones have been broken or chipped in a move. But, some people won’t buy them without their original boxes, so I would avise to keep them if it at all possible. :shrug:

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Larger Windstones seem far more prone to breakage when being shipped without their custom formed box inserts. Seeing as how most of us do get our Windstones as mail order (either from online stores, eBay, or one another) where shipping is a valid concern, keeping the box is more of an investment than a quirk. I think collectors are far more likely to bid on a piece that has the original box if that adds to the peace of mind that their $400 emperor dragon won’t come in tiny pieces.

Of course if the collector never intends on selling their Windstones they will often discard the box. However I have seen individuals regret this when they later need to sell a few pieces when times get rough and no longer have the box. Windstones tend to move around a lot amongst us.

The larger Windstones (pretty much anything larger than fledgling dragons) do have custom formed inserts that keep them very secure in shipping. The emperor dragon in particular breaks often when shipped without these forms.

How many broken emperors have we seen come through the mail here, guys? I know of at least 5 just in this forum.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Leigha
            Participant

mine πŸ™ shattered wings πŸ‘Ώ

and the seller SWORE they would “bubble wrap the hell out of it” … pfft!

Purplecat
              Participant

For me, it’s only certain pieces I’m picky over whether they have the original box or not. The larger pieces, such as the emperor, lap and old warrior are the ones that would make a difference to me…Smaller pieces than that can be reasonably packed and get to me safely, if bought through a responsible seller. πŸ™‚

lamortefille
                Participant

I don’t have a single Windstone box; I don’t have the room to store them. The hang tags are a nuisance to me, but I tuck them under the sculpt rather than remove them. I will buy a piece whether it has the original box or not. I have been extremely lucky in that I have had all of my larger sculpts delivered safely, including an emperor, a rising spectral and a large wizard. I know if I move someday, it will be a nightmare, but that’s life. πŸ˜‰

I like boxes for my pieces, if I were to get a larger piece, I’d NEED that box. Even though, having said that, my 5 or 6 pieces without boxes have survived traveling pretty well. Except one. My Black Gold fledgie chips every time I move it seems. And it’s the only one. Weird. πŸ˜•

Purplecat
                  Participant

lamortefille wrote:

I don’t have a single Windstone box; I don’t have the room to store them. The hang tags are a nuisance to me, but I tuck them under the sculpt rather than remove them. I will buy a piece whether it has the original box or not. I have been extremely lucky in that I have had all of my larger sculpts delivered safely, including an emperor, a rising spectral and a large wizard. I know if I move someday, it will be a nightmare, but that’s life. πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜† πŸ˜‰ DITTO! Rofl!

siberakh1
                    Participant

vanquish wrote:

In regards to the hang tags. Some of the earlier peices never even came with tags. The tags themselves appear to be pretty much generic. Why don’t they offer the tags for sale for those people that desire them and have lost or misplaced the original ones? Maybe you could order replacement box’s from the factory to. πŸ˜†

I know this has been asked before. If I remember correctly, replacement boxes aren’t made available, because it would be too easy to be purchased by someone with a knock-off (of which they do appear on ebay more often then you’d think) to help convince others that it is a ‘real’ windstone. This would definitely be true of the hangtags. There is also the issue of space/time with doing boxes at the factory for other than shipping pieces.

I know, personally, I have ordered pieces without their original box, however they were mostly smaller pieces, or ones that I know I could get home safely (because I transported them myself). I generally will not order an emperor without it’s original box (because of the risk of breakage is a higher, and it is a more expensive piece… I don’t pay for it to arrive in pieces), and would prefer lap dragons, old warriors, and scratching dragons to have their forms as well (since they have he wings a bit more spread, horns sticking out, etc., moreso than smaller, more compact pieces). I have kept all of my windstone boxes and keep them in plastic storage tubs. They store very easily in the attic. Since I will eventually move overseas (I live with family right now), and eventually elsewhere later in the future, I know those boxes will be very useful to me then. I also collect Swarovski and the same applies. Due to theif delicate (and expensive) nature, I always save my boxes, especially since some pieces are seasonal (like the snowflakes and yearly holiday stars). My mom keeps all of her precious moments boxes and a few of her doll boxes. Again, this is personal preference.

In regards to value, many collectibles, especially the more delicate ones, carry more value with their original box and tag/documentation/certificate (if the collectible has such), even if they were placed on display.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond. I’m getting that the general consensus here is that the original boxes “value” is mostly to ensure safe repackaging. I can understand, and have no problem with that and have actually started to keep some of my box’s. I never had any intention of ever reselling my peices but I know stuff happens and things change so I will keep original box’s now, when I get them at least. My concern was that peices that had their original box’s might be were worth more that ones that didn’t which I couldn’t understand, other than for the safe repackaging aspects.

In regards to damaged peices I find most peices seem to be damaged once there actually in the care and on display of the respective owner. I know lots will get damage or end up broken in transit but I can not get over how many get nicks, chips, cracks or other damage while on display in peoples homes. I love to admire my collection but I don’t over handle them and certainly don’t let others handle them.

vanquish wrote:

In regards to the box the only thing usefull that I can see with having the original box is that it makes it easier to pack for resale or moving.

Almost true; I would tend to use “possible” rather than “easier”, but that would be hyperbole.

vanquish wrote:

The box’s themselves are not in any way special and, I would assume, not on display. With special care you can repack a peice into a different box any way so why take so much care to save up empty box’s which end up being just giant dust collectors and fire hazards? Does having an original box increase a peice’s value, even if the peice has already been out of the box and on display?

(I’m late posting this, so I may be reiterating. The last two paragraphs are the important ones)

The boxes are not normally displayed, but they are special. It’s like buying a computer or something, where you bring home the oversized package, remove the computer, and discard the packaging. Then something goes wrong and you have to ship the computer back to the manufacturer and you then discover that not shipping it back in its original box voids the warranty. Yes, you may actually be able to pack it yourself as well as or better than the way it was originally packed, but as far as the manufacturer is concerned, the odds are well against it. Most people only have the barest clue how to pack something for shipping.

The fire hazard part is a very good point, though. You have to consider this when deciding whether or not to keep a box, or whether or not to keep the boxes in one’s home rather than in a storage bunker.

So why keep a box? Primarily in case you or your estate needs to sell the sculptures in the future. If you have absolutely no expectation that you will ever give the collection up, and you don’t care what happens to it after you are gone, then there is absolutely no need to keep the packaging. If you move, you can come up with boxes and packaging that will be entirely adequate. If you hire in a removal company, they should know how to pack fragile items (they won’t, of course, but at least you’d be able to claim for the damage on their insurance).

And even if you change your mind later you will probably be able to sell your collection without the original boxes; just not as easily or for as much.

Having the box makes it more likely that you would be able to find a buyer, which means if you are auctioning it you will probably get more money for a sculpture with a box than without because more people would be likely to place a bid. I would guess, by experience and intuition rather than by a scientific study, that not having the box would reduce the price of a Windstone sculpture by between 10% and 25%. Assuming it sold at all.

My own rule of thumb, arrived at by trial and error over the years, is to NOT buy anything if it doesn’t have its original box. The exception would be if I am buying from someone I’ve done business with before and know that what they have is good (and accurately described) and that they are exceptional packers.

Most people can not pack a Windstone well enough to ship it, even with clear directions. Normally a Windstone without its original box arrives intact simply because the package happened not to get dropped, rather than because it was adequately packed. However, individually packed small light windstones (that normally just come in a flimsy box) usually arrive OK even if the package does get dropped. But I still am very wary of buying them like that, for the following reason:

In general, a piece described as being in perfect condition is way far more likely to actually be in that condition if the owner has the original box. The corrolation is astounding. It’s not that there are not conscientious collectors out there who really look after their sculptures after throwing away the boxes when they buy something new; it’s that there are far more people out there who have something they don’t particularly take care of, then decide to sell it. Or someone finds a few Windstones at an estate sale, or garage sale, and puts them up for auction. These are usually damaged in some way, and almost never have their boxes. But they usually look pretty good, and therefore get described as being in perfect condition even though they are not.

The ones that do have their boxes tend to exchange hands safely, careful owner to careful owner, with neither owner engaging in excessive handling of a sculpture even whilst it is on display.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.