fbpx

Bots

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Anonymous

Jen,
        When you encounter bot accounts, disable them as you have been doing, but don’t delete them. Just remove their posts.

If they become an issue (like more than one a day), then get Melody to e-mail me. I come back on and gather a list of the IP addresses they are coming from and I ban large blocks of IPs at the server level. This is way more efficient than you trying to ban them or deal with them in the forum.

There is nothing I can do to permanently rid them unless we manually approve new accounts.

Everything should be cleaned up again for now.

PS.. I’m not a webhoster or a server guy anymore, but I will drop in here from time to time if you need my help.

Cheers

Susie
        Keymaster

Adraenyse wrote:

PS.. I’m not a webhoster or a server guy anymore, but I will drop in here from time to time if you need my help.

I happened to notice this… so who is our webhoster or server guy(or gal)?

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Noted, and I will follow this new procedure from now on!

The only trick will finding Melody time to email my stuff to you. Would you prefer I email you directly?

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Anonymous

If you have any issue you can’t resolve and it requires my attention, send it through to Susie and she will contact me.

I am no longer in this career field but I have given Windstone the green light to call upon me when necessary since I have been so intertwined into the setups.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

I understand! Best wishes in whatever direction you’ve taken!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Anonymous

I haven’t forgotten about the bot situation, but there are a couple hurdles in the way of solving it.

One of them is the fact that the in house server has been severely compromised and is the top priority

Second is simply the way that the Windstone template for the forum was created by Gregg, and I have to make some changes in order to be able to update the forum software, which has better anti-spam mechanisms already built in.

Jennifer
                  Keymaster

Sounds good. I am just here to herd the cats so to speak. I think I am the only one doing front end admin/moderation at this point yes? Anyhow as long as I have the tools I need to do that everything is fine with me.

Anonymous

Just an update… we’re scheduled to get into new data center space on September 20th. Some point in the week or so after that we’re going to get the new Windstone sites loaded and running there, and switch out of this software.

I have no idea what the new setup looks like, Clay and Gregg have been handling it. I’ll be the backend host, I don’t know at this point if or how much I’ll be involved in the front end after the move.

But an FYI for you Jen anyways.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.