fbpx

Blood in My dog's Urine

Home Forums Miscellany Community Blood in My dog's Urine

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Katherine
    Participant

Katherine
      Participant

πŸ™ I am scared that my dog might have something seriously wrong with her. She is going to the vet tomorrow morning as soon as I can call to get an appointment. I thought I saw blood in her urine as of a week or two ago, but since she was peeing in the snow, I could never tell, even if I wiped. I figured there would be blood on the paper towel-but there wasn’t.
        Today, however, the snow melted and I hosed away any debris from the patio. When she peed there was blood. I got really scared. I just want to know if anyone has had experiences like this and to share your story. ! will let you know what the vet says tomorrow, but Keely is the best dog in the world-I will die if anything happens to her!

Rachel
        Participant

What a beautiful girl! I hope it’s nothing serious. It could be a urinary tract infection, which should be treatable, especially if she’s otherwise acting ok.

I am guessing it’s a UTI as well. My kitty gets UTIs a lot. They will give her some meds and she will be fine. Poor pup tho. I have had a UTI and it was soooo uncomfortable.

I would suspect UTI as well, has she been peeing more often? It could also been bladder stones, most things are pretty minor though. Wait to the what the vet says, but UTI is most likely IMO.

LadyFirebird
          Participant

What a sweet dog! I know how scary it is when you see something like that. I’m guessing a UTI or bladder stones–a dog I had a long time ago had stones and she had blood in her urine. She had to have surgery and was on medication and was fine. I hope your baby will be fine–just nerve racking with everything going on and one of your fur babies gets sick! πŸ™

Lupin
            Participant

Poor Puppy.
              Went through this a couple Summers ago with Jubilee.
              It turned out that it was a Vicious UTI & they were surprised that she wasn’t in any pain, or well any that absolutely anyone could tell.
              I was expecting stones since she is a High White Dalmatian.
              Note she turned 12 that Summer & will turn 15 this summer & is still going very very strong. (Except for a really nasty Ear infection right now.)

Katherine
              Participant

Okay, I hope it is just a UTI as well! She went to go potty just now and I don’t think anything came out-which is another sign of UTi…right? Okay, that eases my mind a little bit. Of course I had to google it, and then I worry the worst. She has been acting normally, and just as sweet as usual. She still likes to jump and she will lick me to death…I have never known a dog to give kisses as much as she does. You know how she reacted towards me and my husband the first time we met her? She was about 10 or 12 weeks old, and we went to my friend’s house and the second we sat down she leapt onto the arm of the couch, slithered her way towards the back of our heads, and slid her way down in-between us while wagging her tail like crazy and trying to lick us as often as she could! Oh my gosh-when she did that I was sold! I was dedicated to her before I even met her, but she really got my heart there! She wanted everything to do with us, and she still does! So loyal and loving! She is so submissive to! I can have her off leash, and even if there is a small animal that she wants REALLY badly, she will look up at me, and if i give her the stern eye, she won’t go after it! She won’t even look at dogs barking at her if I am walking her because I don’t want her to. I just give her a stern look. Also, it is so easy to get her to be happy. <3 <3

Edited to add that she was born Nov. 26th 2006, so she will be 5 this year. And Jubilee is a wonderful name! I am glad she is still healthy..except the ear infection. Poor baby.

Just a suggestion, I’m sure the vet will want a u/a so in the morning when she goes outside for her first pee, use a plastic container and when she starts urinating wait a moment then in mid stream try and catch it. Then put it in the fridge until you go to the vets.
                Some symptoms of a UTI are frequent urinating in small amounts and excessive water intake.
                If crystals or stones a different diet might be suggested depending on the size of them but usually an x-ray would be needed to determine.
                Straining can be a symptom of all three but this is the most dangerous because it can mean there blocked.
                Keep us updated and good luck!

Katherine
                Participant

Thank God she only had a UTI, but it was a really bad one, and so I feel really bad about not taking her to the vet sooner when I did suspect blood, but I didn’t see any in the snow or after I wiped her. I asked the vet what the other signs were, and she wasn’t showing any of those signs. Poor baby is probably in pain (she isn’t showing it) but the vet said that larger dogs don’t tend to show pain. πŸ™
                  It worried me so much when I saw it! But I am so glad it is something that is being treated with antibiotics. We go back in two weeks because, since it is advanced, she isn’t sure that only two weeks of antibiotics will clear it.

Lupin
                  Participant

eaglefeather831 wrote:

Thank God she only had a UTI, but it was a really bad one, and so I feel really bad about not taking her to the vet sooner when I did suspect blood, but I didn’t see any in the snow or after I wiped her. I asked the vet what the other signs were, and she wasn’t showing any of those signs. Poor baby is probably in pain (she isn’t showing it) but the vet said that larger dogs don’t tend to show pain. πŸ™
                    It worried me so much when I saw it! But I am so glad it is something that is being treated with antibiotics. We go back in two weeks because, since it is advanced, she isn’t sure that only two weeks of antibiotics will clear it.

Jube’s had her on a Kidney food for a year(to help be easier on it just in case she did some real damage. since I didn’t notice until she wasn’t just peeing little bits of Blood but big Pools, since the Male had been walking her & I had just whimed on taking her out for a walk that day) & back in less than a month for a second one. But she’s been clear for over a year now & off actual Kidney diet for just about 6 Months.
                    Here’s hoping everything comes along even better for you guys. Hopefully you caught it earlier!

siberakh1
                    Participant

Poor pup. πŸ™ Good thing it’s nothing too serious and is treatable. Yeah, it’s a defense mechanism in a lot of animals not to show pain/discomfort. Don’t show weakness, lest you show a vulnerability that could cause you to lose status amongst your pack/group or to an animal that might attack or challenge you, among other reasons.

Katherine
                      Participant

Awww, I hope nothing else comes of it for Jubilee.
                        And Siberakh, that makes a lot of sense, but I would have never guessed that.
                        I gave Keely a peanut butter-filled Kong earlier because she wasn’t really begging for scraps like usual, so, since I am overly aware now, I wondered if she might be in pain, and I thought that peanutbuttery-yumminess would help keep her mind off of it for a few minutes.

Jasmine
                        Participant

I’m glad it’s something treatable. Hugs to you and puppy. πŸ˜€

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.