fbpx

Black Gold Coiled Moms are up!

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Black Gold Coiled Moms are up!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Starbreeze
    Participant

I don’t think Melody is going to sign the limited production items as much from now on. πŸ™‚

skigod377 wrote:

I am wondering why the brown and black are the same price when one is limited production and the other one is regular production? They are probably not signed…

The limited production pieces are just like regular production pieces except that they are not expected to sell as many in the long run. Having the same price as an equivalent production piece is pretty much essential, because that adds verisimilitude to the argument that you are getting what you pay for when you buy a Windstone Editions figurine.

One could argue that the limited production pieces should sell for MORE than similar regular production pieces because they are or will be more scarce. But this is a secondary market argument; not a primary market argument. On the primary market you could only justify charging extra for something that is extraordinary, or even clearly unique; painted by Melody herself, perhaps, in a limited and numbered edition. The limited production pieces, though, are merely different, and that difference is all that makes them special. Their cost of manufacture is probably about the same as the cost of manufacture of any batch of figurines made and painted from similar molds.

There is, of course, the counter-argument that the limited production pieces should sell for LESS than regular production pieces because none of them are sold through retail and therefore don’t need the full retail mark-up. Windstone Editions theoretically makes more money selling through a batch of limited production pieces than they do selling through a same-sized batch of regular production pieces, so why not drop the price of those limited production pieces? This is a seriously flawed argument because the manufacturer of something has to set the standards that they expect their retailers to follow. If we retailers saw that Windstone Editions was selling something that was essentially similar to a figurine that we showcase on their behalf, but they were selling theirs at less than we would need to sell ours, retailers would think twice about carrying the Windstone line. Retailers are a fickle bunch, but one of the few things we agree on is that if a manufacturer enters into competition with us it is very likely that they are making something we don’t really need.

(These are merely 2-dimensional arguments, skimming the surface of the question. And I am being horribly and probably unnecessarily didactic, for which I apologise.)

Starbreeze
      Participant

Were you ever on a debating team in school?? You did a wonderful job of presenting both sides of the argument!! πŸ˜€

starbreeze wrote:

Were you ever on a debating team in school?? You did a wonderful job of presenting both sides of the argument!! πŸ˜€

No. I never did anything that might lead to me having to address a crowd. And besides which I lack the verbal skills to express my thoughts in a cogent manner.

But I do tend to arrive at a conclusion only after first arguing myself into disagreement with my initial premise, then contrasting the two versions of reality to see which is the more reasonable, if either.

It’s all entertainment. Nothing more.

Starbreeze
        Participant

It’s a skill to be admired. You have the ability to see both sides and can use that to arrive at a sound conclusion. It would be nice if everyone could do that. πŸ™‚

Maria
          Participant

starbreeze wrote:

I don’t think Melody is going to sign the limited production items as much from now on. πŸ™‚

I don’t mind so much if they’re not signed, but I do kind of miss the COAs. πŸ˜•

Skigod377
            Participant

I was just curious because every other peice she listed as limited production is signed and costs more. These are limited production but are the same price. First time that has happened, so I am guessing they are not signed. They should sell for more because they will be more rare.

skigod377 wrote:

…These are limited production but are the same price. First time that has happened, so I am guessing they are not signed. They should sell for more because they will be more rare.

The first figurines to go limited production were the Ruby Emperor and Rainbow Emperor. There were others that I don’t recall now. These were at or close to the regular price, but then they were not issued originally as limited production. I had not realised that the Brown Mother Coiled was the first “ordinary” limited production piece that had previously been issued in other colors. To be honest, I don’t pay much attention to the limited production pieces because whenever I see one I am reminded that it’s not something I can impress my customers with and that my job is to extol the virtues of the things I can sell.

My guess would be that if an alternately colored version of the the Curled Dragon, for example, ever became general production, the retail price would be the same as the limited production version. The reason something is limited production is not so that Windstone Editions can charge you more for it; it’s so that they can make it available to you at all.

Skigod377
              Participant

The Castle [Dave wrote:

“]

skigod377 wrote:

…These are limited production but are the same price. First time that has happened, so I am guessing they are not signed. They should sell for more because they will be more rare.

There were others that I don’t recall now. These were at or close to the regular price, but The first figurines to go limited production were the Ruby Emperor and Rainbow Emperor.then they were not issued originally as limited production. I had not realised that the Brown Mother Coiled was the first “ordinary” limited production piece that had previously been issued in other colors. To be honest, I don’t pay much attention to the limited production pieces because whenever I see one I am reminded that it’s not something I can impress my customers with and that my job is to extol the virtues of the things I can sell.

My guess would be that if an alternately colored version of the the Curled Dragon, for example, ever became general production, the retail price would be the same as the limited production version. The reason something is limited production is not so that Windstone Editions can charge you more for it; it’s so that they can make it available to you at all. Those were regular retail first, though. Such is not the case with the brown coiled mom. Oh well… not important. I am betting there is no siggy and thats why they are the same price. πŸ™‚

Heather
                Participant

I can confirm for you that the brown coiled mum doesn’t have a signature . . . but she’s so beautiful. I am just so tickled to see this piece reappear! πŸ˜€ And having her show up in Old Brown is icing on the cake. She even has a little gold heart (well, sort of) between her eyes.

I had my store order me a Black Gold Mom. And I hadn’t noticed the heart before on the sculpt until a pic was posted.

Maria
                  Participant

skigod377 wrote:

I was just curious because every other peice she listed as limited production is signed and costs more. These are limited production but are the same price. First time that has happened, so I am guessing they are not signed. They should sell for more because they will be more rare.

You’d think so. But the brown coiled mother wasn’t first – remember the white Spectrals! πŸ˜‰ They’re not signed and have no COAs, either.

Shes a little beauty. While I love the combo of black and purples, Ive always loved (esp in jewelry) the black/gold combo. If I were to get any coiled mama, it would be this one. We’ll see, but I doubt it. Good luck to those of you who snag one!

Skigod377
                    Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

You’d think so. But the brown coiled mother wasn’t first – remember the white Spectrals! πŸ˜‰ They’re not signed and have no COAs, either.Ahh!! I didnt know that. I didnt get one.

Arlla posted a quesiton in Melodys thread that clears it up well enough. Thanks for the answers though! πŸ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.