Beginner PYO Materials

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Beginner PYO Materials

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Amanda
    Participant

Amanda
      Participant

Hi! I found this board a few days ago and have been drooling over the beautiful PYOs everyone has been doing! I was just a fan of Windstone and looking to add a piece to my collection-and I stumbled over here somehow-I never knew about PYOs! They all look amazing and I’m afraid I can’t get them off my mind, I want to try one! I’ve been lurking for the last few days, admiring the gallery and the PYO swap thread, trying to gather all the info needed to start my own project! I have to admit the more I read, the more confused I’ve gotten-haha-SO many brands and techniques…I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look at what I’ve found and tell me if I’m headed in the right direction? I’ve spent hours trying to track down a set of paints to use and I think that this one might actually work. I’ve read through the brands thread here, and also read the Windstone Tutorial πŸ™‚ I’m kind of confused about the Retarder and the Mixing Medium. Do they both get mixed with paint at the same time? *confused*
        I’m sorry for all the questions, especially for my second day! I guess after a few days of lurking I already feel comfortable here πŸ™‚

I was eyeing the “Professional Fluid Acrylic Set of 16 Colors” Shown below-it has some of the interferience colors I read about, is this a good choice for a PYO?

http://www.dickblick.com/zz006/38d/

Thanks for your help!

Maria
        Participant

A lot of people on here use Dick Blick supplies, a lot of people use Golden brand paints, and a most of us use acrylics. I think you’ll do very well with that set. You can mix any colors that it doesn’t contain.

Amanda
          Participant

Thanks very much! I looked up several of the ones in the “brands” thread above and that set seemed to look pretty good, I like the idea of the interferience paints.

I’m wondering also about the Acrylic Retarder and the Acrylic Mixing Medium listed in the PYO tutorial. Do I need both? And do both get mixed with the paint at the same time? I’d hate to get started and realize I am missing something 😳

Maria
            Participant

I use neither. If you want to use the retarder, just make sure you don’t dump too much in, or your paint will neither stick nor dry. If you need or want both, you should be able to mix them in at the same time.

Amanda
              Participant

Thanks again πŸ™‚ I think I might try the Golden Acrylic Retarder since I have no idea what I’m doing and the extra time should hopefully help.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! πŸ™‚

Now to choose my PYO!

Maria
                Participant

You’re welcome.
                  Personally, I find the griffin to be easy to paint, but so far I’ve only done griffins and kirins. I do advise that you don’t start with scales. The paint sticks better on a textured surface (feathers, fur) and is easier to blend, too. Maybe try the Muse? She should be easy, and she’s so wild she’ll look good in anything.

Amanda
                  Participant

I thought a Kirin would be easy, but I guess not! I think I will go with the muse πŸ™‚ They do have the cutest look on their little faces. I’ve found a place to buy the crystals for the muse, anyone know how many she takes and the size?

Kujacker
                    Participant

Eleu wrote:

I thought a Kirin would be easy, but I guess not! I think I will go with the muse πŸ™‚ They do have the cutest look on their little faces. I’ve found a place to buy the crystals for the muse, anyone know how many she takes and the size?

I think Koishii said 3mm stones with 3 areas to put in them… I THINK.

I use Liquitex Heavy Body for my paints πŸ™‚ I’ve painted the Ki-Rin, the dragon and the gryphon. So far the Ki-Rin is my favorite, but the dragon is the easiest. Never again a gryphon for me x3;;

Welcome to the party πŸ˜€

Amanda
                      Participant

3mm? Great! There are tons of colors of crystals on a site that was posted in another thread here. Just need to pick a color!

Gryphon that bad hun? lol I love how they look and would love to do one someday. I thought the dragon would be the hardest. Hopefully I will not totally ruin my Muse and will try one of each eventually!

Darn it, I thought of one more question *shakes head* Is there a brush on clear coat for when you are done with your PYO? Something with just a little gloss?

Maria
                        Participant

I use a brush-on sealant; others use a spray coat. I can’t give you any brand-names, but do be sure you coat it when you’re done to protect the paint.

Starbreeze
                          Participant

Well, I’ve only painted one PYO so far and I chose a wolf because it was the easiest. I guess it’s all a matter of opinion. πŸ˜‰

Kujacker
                            Participant

Yep, did a check and she did say 3mm πŸ™‚ I just remember someone saying something about three holes for them in the muse…

Heather
                              Participant

Yep, there are three sockets for crystals on the Muse. I found a fourth spot that could take a really teeny crystal (like 1mm) but I bet it’s not really a socket, just a conveniently round hollow in the detailing. πŸ˜›

Amanda
                                Participant

Thanks everyone πŸ™‚ I just ordered my crystals and have everything else I need in my “cart” just trying to find a brush on clear coat and then I can order!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.