Base Coat or No Poll

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Base Coat or No Poll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tara
    Participant

I’ve long been curious what style people use to paint their PYOs. So I’ve started a poll to see what methods everyone uses. Hopefully I have all the most common ones. First is do you base coat or no. The second question is do you paint by section or layers? By layers I mean you put one color on the sculpt at a time and build up the colors and layers till you have the effect you want. By sections I mean you complete one area at a time so you might have say the wing done but the but the face might sill be blank. If you alternate methods just choose the one you use the most. Or do you do it completely different? I’d love to hear how.

For myself I base coat. Most of the time my base coat is also my primary color. Then I layer the other colors on one color at a time though I will go back and forth between colors.

Note: Since some special techniques have specific requirements are far as base coat and application are concerned; I’m not really looking for those in the poll. I’m more looking for normal paint methods. If special techniques is pretty much all you do then maybe put it under other and share with us what it is you do.

Bodine
      Participant

I usually do it like you do whether I am painting wet or powders.I do use mostly white or black for my base.It sucks that base coat in like a thirsty dragon. 🙂

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

fatalbeauty
        Participant

no base coat here…

as for how I paint it, I do all I’m going to do for one color at once, leaving the other bits of a different color for later….

4 things I'm looking for:
          1. Mother Meerkat
          2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
          3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
          4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Depends, i started out doing them but do not so much anymore(basecoats) and I like to do both sections and layers. I like to to layer one section at at a time, but still depends on what im am feeling. I love xperimenting.

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
          www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
          Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Misty
          Participant

I do both. Mostly my base coats are the undercolor. Example: If I am painting a green dragon I will often start with a lighter green base.(or sometimes blue or yellow) Other times I just let the paint soak in for a different look :bigsmile:

Jennifer
            Keymaster

I base coat, only in white, ever.
              With exception to pieces that are overall white in tone. These I prefer to let the warm white of the natural gypsum show here and there.

I always work on the whole thing at once. It creates continuity / uniformity that is important to me in my paint schemes.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Falcolf
              Participant

I haven’t painted a PYO yet, but I tend to base coat my custom model horses with an ochre yellow. I think on a PYO it would depend on whether I am painting it a dark colour or a light colour whether I base coat it or not.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Hannah
                Participant

I do not base coat, but my PYOs end up having 3-5 layers of color by the time they are done because to a point, every layer of color adds depth and richness 🙂

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                  Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

Ela_Hara
                  Participant

Hey, I haven’t painted a PYO piece yet, but if the Gypsum soaks up paint as much as it seems to by the comments I’ve read, I probably will feel more comfortable painting a base coat. As a few mentioned, the color I use would depends upon what my color scheme will be – light or dark.

QUESTION:
                    I have an idea I would like to try and wanted to know if anyone else has tried this…. Ever try using one of the Krylon Color Master, or Montana Gold Acrylic spray paints as a base coat? I read that the Gypsum needs to ‘breath’ and would these allow this?

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                    Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                    Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                    *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Tara
                    Participant

Hey, I haven’t painted a PYO piece yet, but if the Gypsum soaks up paint as much as it seems to by the comments I’ve read, I probably will feel more comfortable painting a base coat. As a few mentioned, the color I use would depends upon what my color scheme will be – light or dark.

QUESTION:
                      I have an idea I would like to try and wanted to know if anyone else has tried this…. Ever try using one of the Krylon Color Master, or Montana Gold Acrylic spray paints as a base coat? I read that the Gypsum needs to ‘breath’ and would these allow this?

I haven’t spray painted on PYO’s yet but I plan on trying Liquitex Spray paints one of these days. For breathablility you just need to make sure the paint is acrylic/water based. Oil and solvent based paints are the ones gypsum doesn’t like.

Ela_Hara
                      Participant

Hey FlamingDragon!
                        I was also thinking of trying the Liquitex Spray paints, might get one today to try.
                        The Krylon and Montana Gold spray paints do indicate that they are acyrlics on the DickBlick site, but the Krylon site, and the can’s label, says the Krylon spray acyrlic is ‘Enamel’ and the enamal part was what I was not sure of.
                        I did also review the information on the Liquitex site about their spray paints, and I believe I would feel safer trying those.

Thanks for your comments! 🙂

ahh..what happens when the gypsum can’t, eh “breath properly” as you all say?

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                        www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                        Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

Sometimes– not always, but sometimes it bubbles the paint up over time. Gypsum naturally likes to collect atmospheric moisture (humidity!) and if it can’t release it again, the paint can do weird things.

The amount of damage this does really depends on how much surface area of the gypsum is covered, and what the environment is like where it gets displayed. So I can’t say for sure what it will do in any given situation, which is why we generally advise against it. Unknown results and paint weirdness is something we like to have customers avoid, unless they don’t mind!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                          My art: featherdust.com

Ela_Hara
                          Participant

Sometimes– not always, but sometimes it bubbles the paint up over time. Gypsum naturally likes to collect atmospheric moisture (humidity!) and if it can’t release it again, the paint can do weird things.

The amount of damage this does really depends on how much surface area of the gypsum is covered, and what the environment is like where it gets displayed. So I can’t say for sure what it will do in any given situation, which is why we generally advise against it. Unknown results and paint weirdness is something we like to have customers avoid, unless they don’t mind!

How can you tell if the Liquitex Spray paint might not let the Gypsum ‘breath’ ? Is there something in the ingredients I could look for?

Tara
                            Participant

My cans of Liquitex spray paint say that they water based on the back of the can so they’re Windstone safe. I bought them cause they’re artist grade acrylic spray paint(not cheap though). The cans have pretty much the same quality of paint as the bottle/tubes it’s just aerosolized. Now I just need to get up the nerve to use them on something other than a test scrap of leather…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.