fbpx

Baby's Getting Big *sniff* *smile*

Home Forums Miscellany Community Baby's Getting Big *sniff* *smile*

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

HOLY COW.
    i’m not saying that havinga child isn’t worth thousands of dollars,BUT…

WHY is it so $$? My neighbor said there are thousands of children who are homeless. I was a troubled youth, and was in foster care, and there were so many “homeless” kids. WHY is it so hard to find a home for them???

Also, WHY would you want to burden new parents with such a huge bill?? Ifyou truely want the parents and the child to be happy, why why why?? I don’t get it.

Adoption agency’s need to be FAR more concerned about the welfare of the children they are placing. Sex is free after all, so adoption ought not be too much more.

that’s just my $4.39 though. I never jsut give the .02

whippetluv wrote:

dragonessjade you only have to be married to adopt from certain agencys or certain countries. For example my partner and I will be going through this in about 2 years when she finishes nursing school. We are going through Guatimala *spelled all kinds of wrong. They will adopt to singles. And they will adopt to women or men. Its about 28 grand for a child…and by the time you can pick them up, your child will be about 9 months to a year old. Not too bad. 🙂 That is the way we are going. We have to refinace our morgage to become loving parents…sad huh?

Well I haven’t actually checked out all of the agencies, just the ones from here. I was assuming that the ones from other countries were easier to adopt children. 28 grand? That is a price of a car. I would say that someone is seriously making a profit from this…although hopefully it goes back to the country. Will you post or PM me the info you have or checked into? That is really sad that you would have to do that to become a parent.

That is really sad that you would have to do that to become a parent.

I agree.

dragonessjade wrote:

Well I haven’t actually checked out all of the agencies, just the ones from here. I was assuming that the ones from other countries were easier to adopt children. 28 grand? That is a price of a car. I would say that someone is seriously making a profit from this…although hopefully it goes back to the country. Will you post or PM me the info you have or checked into? That is really sad that you would have to do that to become a parent.

Sure…the agency I talked to is http://www.c2adopt.org/ and is located in Richmond VA. It is easier to get kids from other countries in some ways, and harder in others.

Positives include…
    Parents can’t change their minds! *happened to me twice with a US adoption
    the birthmother doesn’t pick you…you just are on a list and it goes in order. You can wait forever or YEARs to be picked by a birthmother
    Not that much more expensive for these safeguards.

But there are Negs too….
    No family history *or not much of one
    No chance of people NOT knowing you adopted
    Travel several times
    you have no choice but to get a older baby..no infants
    Very expensive

But to be fair…we got an list of how every dime of the 28 grand is spent…the agency only gets like 2 grand. Its a couple of grand for the homestudy, and 4 or 5 grand for travel, “gifts” for the foster family members, and then 19,000 goes directly to the lawer in Guat. Because he has to use that money to pay for all the food/shelter/medicine and whatnot since the child was born. And he has to go to the courts and do all the running.
    THere is only one main court in Guat for adoptions, and lawers must arrive their at 5 in the morning to “hope” to see a judge that day. SO they can waste so much time trying to get through the mire.

So anyway its not as bad as you might think. And for that country you don’t have to be in a household with a stay at home parent or a certain income. Thank god!

Plus that 28 grand includes travel, hotel stays/ and whatnot. So its not quite as horrible as you first think.
    Still sucks…but what can you do.

Skigod377
    Participant

I know the adoption agencies seem ridiculous, but they do have to provide for the care of the child. Not just your baby, but other older children that have been in the system forever. The demand for babies is higher than for kids, so thats just simple supply and demand. They make money where they can. It makes sense. They want the older kids adopted first. I, for one, will get an older child and find SOMEONE out there (Agency, or whatever) to give me a grant. There HAS to be something like that out there SOMEWHERE! Im single, but I have alot to give. I would like to give a kid a good home, but I wont pay out the wazoo for it. I see it as we are helping eachother out. I take a child thats harder to place, and you make it cheaper for me. Deal??

SPark
      Participant

*laughs* This is very silly, but… it’s the same thing as with adopting a cat. If you go to a shelter, the kittens cost more to adopt than the adults.

WolfenMachine
        Participant

SPark wrote:

*laughs* This is very silly, but… it’s the same thing as with adopting a cat. If you go to a shelter, the kittens cost more to adopt than the adults.

I don’t know much about children (meh, too young) but Ya, you’re right. When I was looking for my doggie, puppies were being sold at $300-$700, and I was able to bring home an older 6 yr old dog for $150. I still love her very much! (even if the feeling isnt totally mutual lol) It is really sad to think of all the people who have “accidental” babies and don’t want them compared to the people who try their hearts out to have a kid…and still can’t. That first group should give their ‘unwanted’ children up for adoption so someone that wants it can love it, more than it’s unwilling mother, even.

But a bit back to the original topic, yes children do grow up fast. My little cousin just had his 8th birthday and WOW I remember the day he was born; me and my other two cousins pressing our ears against the door waiting for a baby’s cry :)Now that little kid is a bit shy of being half my age!

whippetluv wrote:

dragonessjade wrote:

Sure…the agency I talked to is http://www.c2adopt.org/ and is located in Richmond VA. It is easier to get kids from other countries in some ways, and harder in others.

Positives include…
          Parents can’t change their minds! *happened to me twice with a US adoption
          the birthmother doesn’t pick you…you just are on a list and it goes in order. You can wait forever or YEARs to be picked by a birthmother
          Not that much more expensive for these safeguards.

But there are Negs too….
          No family history *or not much of one
          No chance of people NOT knowing you adopted
          Travel several times
          you have no choice but to get a older baby..no infants
          Very expensive

But to be fair…we got an list of how every dime of the 28 grand is spent…the agency only gets like 2 grand. Its a couple of grand for the homestudy, and 4 or 5 grand for travel, “gifts” for the foster family members, and then 19,000 goes directly to the lawer in Guat. Because he has to use that money to pay for all the food/shelter/medicine and whatnot since the child was born. And he has to go to the courts and do all the running.
          THere is only one main court in Guat for adoptions, and lawers must arrive their at 5 in the morning to “hope” to see a judge that day. SO they can waste so much time trying to get through the mire.

So anyway its not as bad as you might think. And for that country you don’t have to be in a household with a stay at home parent or a certain income. Thank god!

Plus that 28 grand includes travel, hotel stays/ and whatnot. So its not quite as horrible as you first think.
          Still sucks…but what can you do.
          Thanks. I was looking into it and the ones from china are cheaper, but you have to be married. The ones from guatamala are more expensive and it takes longer for the child to come home, but you can be single. At least that is how I read it.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.