fbpx

Home Forums Miscellany Community avatar sizing help?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

Tiffany
      Participant

ok so i must be a TOTAL turkey, cuz i just CAN’T figure out how to make a pic small enough to be used as an avatar! i use photoshop with a mac and just can’t get anything under 50+k i just don’t know what i’m doing wrong!! i used to have a pic of my chin up, and some how way back in the day i uploaded it and it was larger that 8 and it took, but then when i took it down trying to unload another, it wouldn’t reaccept it. anyhoo, i tried sizing the pic by pixels up top in pixel dimensions, keeping it under 80, then reducing the resolution to 72 (as usual) and the files are still big!
        anyone have and advice on my how pea-brained self on how to size a pic properly so i can get it that small? where did i go wrong? i would LOVE some advice! thanks so much from the bottom of my confused heart!
        —–>head–>desk >.<

Bob

I wish I could help you but when I first got my computer I had to call a friend and ask him how to access my e-mail to read it so I’m MORE computer illeterate then you. I don’t like the word Tard though

Tiffany
          Participant

edited πŸ™‚ no offense meant. thanks for offering help DM. i tried asking my dad who is very good at photoshop, and he thought i was nuts for trying to get an image that small, but hey everyone else did it ,so it must be possible! i think i’m just frogging up one essential little step. hmm. thats why i haven’t had an avatar pic in a few months, i’ve been trying to get it right forever! durrr!

DantheDragon
            Participant

Have you tried file – save for web? It really reduces the file size.

Tiffany
              Participant

SHRIEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD IT WORKED! SQUEALLLLLLLL! SQUEEEEEEEEEEE! OH THANK YOU WOW! glee! months of torment have come to an end! hooray! wow, that is a stupenderific way to size stuff, holy cow thats cool! ok, i must go scramble and write down what i did before i forget! hooray! thank you dan the dragon! ( sends bonecrushing squee hugs!) squee! πŸ˜€

Bob

KEWL!!
                  I could not get mine to work so I had to send it to Chessie and she did it for me.

Tiffany
                  Participant

awwww that’s sweet that she helped you! you got the extra special personal windstone touch! hey, we’re not all super savvy with this stuff, so some of us need a little extra help here n there! thankfully peeps on here are kindly and helpful like that, huh? yay!

Pegasi1978
                    Participant

The other option would have been to save the file as a “.gif” rather than a “.jpg”. That’s what I’ve done on the avatars I’ve made for here. I totally forgot the “file -> save for web” option in photoshop.

Purplecat
                      Participant

Glad it worked! I’m only halfway competent with computers so I wouldn’t have been much help. 😳 πŸ˜€

Im a MAC person too and I cant get an avatar (for this site; others didnt have postage stamp size requirements- which isnt an insult to WE btw) to fit for this site. Not even the pre-done avatars from free DL sites of avatars and emoticons πŸ™„

I dont know how to get the pix to meet size requirements without them being the size of a flea bite. Nam was willing to help me just before I moved and then I got busy and knew I wouldnt be around much. Im still busy but at least Im moved. However, I do know Nam’s life just got a violent shove into hectic, so I dont want to bother her.

If anyone knows how to do this, I can send you a photo (after I decide) of an avatar Id like (either one of my own photos or one from a site), and see if you can do it for me. Ive tried everything and it just mocks me! 😑

Here is the photo Id like to use now, by the amazing artist Jasmine Beckett-Griffith:

I like to change up my avatar several times a year, so if someone can do this initial one for me (if you need to crop to a square, crop out some of the top), please also tell me step by step how to do this. I could do it on other sites, but am having trouble with this one.

Thanks in advance if anyone steps up.

Pegasi1978
                        Participant

I’ll do it, PT. I had offered to help once upon a time, but I guess the PM got lost. I used photoshop and cropped the image to 80 pixels by 80 pixels then did File -> Save for Web which saves the file as a “.gif” making it small enough for the Windstone site.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/pegasi1978/CF.gif

Do you need instructions for how to set it up on your profile?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.