fbpx

Autumnglory's First PYO – Savanna, the Winged Wolf, Now With Image!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Autumnglory's First PYO – Savanna, the Winged Wolf, Now With Image!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ChristinaV
    Participant

My first PYO… very pleased with the outcome, though inserting the eyes was hands-down the hardest part! One is actually slightly askew… will need to read posts on eye insertion before trying another. Followed the painting instructions scrupulously, and allowed for MUCH time between coats. The clear topcoat I used stayed a bit tacky for a few days… I may have put it on a bit thickly, or the humidity came into play.

Anyhow, here’s my sweetie… Savanna, a winged wolf painted to resemble Angel, the cheetah I read about from the Cincinnati Zoo who rekindled my love for cheetahs (she has a small halo of spots on her forehead!)

While no one is expected to leap tall buildings in a single
      bound, our aspiring heroes will be tested on their courage,
      integrity, self-sacrifice, compassion and resourcefulness -
      the stuff of all true superheroes.
      - Stan Lee

Stephanie
      Participant

Oooh, she looks great! I love the depth you managed to get out of the feathers and fur!

Carolyn
        Participant

How pretty !

Impressive! I hope my first PYO turns out half that good!

Great job! And wolf eyes are WAY harder than any other PYO I’ve done. Even with special tools to assist, mine still didn’t come out perfectly set either. If you find any wolf-specific tips, let me know!

Grayfire_artz
          Participant

this is fantastic! no has done a cheetah wolf that I can remember ๐Ÿ˜€ this is ver well done ๐Ÿ˜€

Misty
            Participant

Very cool :bigsmile:

ChristinaV
              Participant

Thanks, all… I’ve been very sick for a while, and haven’t been able to get online much, but these comments were nice to come back to! I really appreciate them, and can’t wait to try another PYO – I’m torn between another winged wolf (I think I’d like to do a wild cat series in those) and a gryphon, since the dragons are out of stock. SO hoping for a PYO flap cat one of these days!!!

- Stan Lee

ChristinaV
                Participant

Impressive! I hope my first PYO turns out half that good!

Can’t wait to see you post it here… thank you!

- Stan Lee

It’ll prolly be closer to Christmas…..who knows. I’m so nervous! But thank you!

ChristinaV
                  Participant

It’ll prolly be closer to Christmas…..who knows. I’m so nervous! But thank you!

Take your time! That was the best advice I got… take your time, and LET THE PAINT DRY TOTALLY between coats! That’s hard for me, since I’m a rusher. ๐Ÿ™‚ And I was hideously nervous and intimidated before I got Savannah started… so many gorgeous PYOs online, and I didn’t want to blow it!

My own best advice?

1. Pick a very limited range of colors to start with (that’s why I started with a cheetah pattern, besides the fact that I love them… three colors of paint, and I’d mix them to get varying shades).

2. Then pick a pattern or inspirational animal that you’re VERY familiar with or close to, so you have a good mental image to layer your paint onto.

3. Finally… know your strengths and play to them! I’d love to do a budgie-themed wolf, but I just don’t have the steady hand for the head detail; I’m better off sticking to cat fur patterns, since those I feel comfortable with and can get plenty of source photos to look at.

Go for it, and try not to let your nerves get the better of you! ๐Ÿ™‚

- Stan Lee

dragonmedley
                    Participant

I had completely missed this… You did an awesome job! The wings and the fur have a nice depth to them.

And so far, every time I insert wolf eyes, one always manages to be slightly off… none of the other PYOs do that.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.