Automatic litter boxes?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Automatic litter boxes?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nightcrow
    Participant

Hey, everyone, I’m interested in recommendations for an automatic litter box! I have a very small house, so there’s really only floor space for one litter box in the bathroom unless I want to spend $7-800 on custom litterbox cabinetry (bathroom has an angled wall and I currently use a triangular litter box to fit the space).

If you have an automatic litter box, please tell me what kind and whether you like it!

I’m primarily looking for a box that:
      * Isn’t too huge, because space is an issue. My current litter box is 24″ wide and 18″ deep (shaped like a triangle), but the space could take something slightly bigger.
      * Doesn’t have proprietary litter or trays. This is a big one; I’m eco-conscious and also thrifty, and hate the idea of having to buy and toss a plastic container, or a fortune in fancy litter, every week.
      * Has high sides and/or a lid. One of my cats is a chronic nonsquatter, and pees down the litter box wall. (This is the biggest failure point of my current box! It has a lid, but the sides of the actual pan are low, so urine runs down the wall into the crevice where lid meets pan and dries there. Ugh!)
      * Is designed for use by multiple cats, since I have 3 cats now.

Thanks, everyone!

I’ve had a look at my local Petco/Petsmart, but they both just had a few options and they were pretty terrible. One was sized/designed for a single cat, and one required buying and throwing out plastic trays (sold only by that brand, of course!) or some kind of giant plastic liner. THey all had pretty low sides, too.

I would rather spend more on the litter box itself, and have a higher-quality product that lasts, than buy something cheap that only does half of what I want or continually wastes money on parts that are thrown out! So I’m hoping someone on the forums can point me at a better option from experience.

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

drag0nfeathers
      Participant

I’ll be stalking this thread for information as well

Got a busted Windstone?
        drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
        *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
        Arc-en-ciel Emperor
        Siphlophis Male Dragon
        Calypso Hatching Empress
        Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
        Tattoo Mother Kirin
        Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
        Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
        Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
        Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
        Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
        Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

GardenNinja
        Participant

I can confirm that the most common one is terrible. One cat was afraid of the noise it made, and the other frequently peed into the rake, making the clumps stick to the rake and defeating the purpose. It took a lot longer to clean than the plain manual litterboxes.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

tig3r06
          Participant

I really love this litter box and not sure if a new model is offered.
            The only thing is I wish it had higher sides with one low entry point. My two track or throw some litter over the sides, but the low sides are actually good for my old cat Milo to get in and out easier. I just bought two XL rubber mats to place under and around to grab litter. Once I ran out of the plastic bags it came with for the bucket, I started using grocery bags for it. You could probably just use the bucket if you want to clean it more often. I use World’s Best Cat Litter (red bag).

And here’s Milo thinking it’s a box to play in the very first day, but they got used to using it really fast and always use it.

Screenshot_20200816-224355_Chrome

Screenshot_20200816-224617_Facebook

StormDancer
            Participant

I have the same one as Tig3r06 for my 2 cats. I’ve used it for 5 years and not had any problems with it as long as you don’t overfill it with litter. It cleans the box about 10-15 minutes after the cat uses it.
              As I recall when I first got it I just made sure to trigger it (it has a button on the side to override the starting of it) to run a few times while my cats were watching so they could see it move and hear it. My cats were fascinated by it, lol.
              I bought bulk bread bags (like $10.00 for 500) off ebay to use to line the waste bucket but could easily use plastic grocery bags instead.

Looking for:
              "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

chagan245
              Participant

I actually have a litter robot. I have 4 cats and 3 of them use the litter robot. The one that does not is blind so she will not go into the robot (she is 15). I have the accessory pack since my oldest cat (16) has arthritis and does not jump very well. This added steps to go into the litter robot and also an additional piece to minimize litter being kicked out. This is good since my two 3 year olds love to kick litter, especially by male Ragdoll.
                I have had the robot over a year and it is so much better than scooping 4 litter boxes each day… I am down to the robot plus 1 regular box due to the blind cat mentioned above.

Nightcrow
                Participant

Thanks for your input, everyone! Recommendations are still welcome.

Chagan, can you tell me more about the ‘robot’ – is that a brand name? A model?

The PetZone box looks similar to what my local petstores carry. The price is nice, but the sides are so low that I worry my wall-peeing cat would be peeing right over the edge…

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.