Attention Dragon Lovers…

Home Forums Miscellany Community Attention Dragon Lovers…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stormbringer777
    Participant

I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but Warner Bros. has optioned ALL the pern novels for a possible movie franchise of The Dragonriders of Pern!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Celestial Rainstorm
      Participant

We might finally get a really GOOD epic dragon movie. We don’t have a lot in that category.

Lookin’ at you, Eragon.

Finding happiness again.

LadyFirebird
        Participant

This would be interesting. When Anne McCaffrey was alive, she was uncomfortable about anyone messing with her novels–writing them or making movies–because she felt they didn’t get it right. I read one comment of hers when she was looking at a script for a movie and shook her head because it wasn’t what she felt it should be–they didn’t get it right. Making movies from books is always tricky–you can never accurately depict the book exactly how the author intended.

It would make several movies and I would watch them. And whether or not they happen may depend on her children.

Melody
          Keymaster

I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but Warner Bros. has optioned ALL the pern novels for a possible movie franchise of The Dragonriders of Pern!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh wow! I have always been mystified as to why a Pern movie hasn’t been done already! I think they were working on the possibility once. Somewhere on line there is a pic of Anne McCaffrey riding on a huge prop dragon.

Melody
            Keymaster

This would be interesting. When Anne McCaffrey was alive, she was uncomfortable about anyone messing with her novels–writing them or making movies–because she felt they didn’t get it right. I read one comment of hers when she was looking at a script for a movie and shook her head because it wasn’t what she felt it should be–they didn’t get it right. Making movies from books is always tricky–you can never accurately depict the book exactly how the author intended.

It would make several movies and I would watch them. And whether or not they happen may depend on her children.

Yeah, it seems like authors don’t have any say in how the movie of their book is made, (with the exception of Rowling, who seemed to have a strong hand in it!)

For real? Woah! I can’t wait!

Elena
              Participant

Yeah, it seems like authors don’t have any say in how the movie of their book is made, (with the exception of Rowling, who seemed to have a strong hand in it!)

Actually it all depends on how the source material is optioned. Some Authors who as super protective of their stuff (Rowlings, etc.) won’t option their material unless they have a say in how its portrayed and it’s put in pretty iron clad wording in the contract. It can be something that studios aren’t really interested in cause then they have to find a director who is willing to take direction from the author. It is becoming more popular to include the creator since series like this already have a huge fan base and if you turn them off you’re not going to make any money.

I’m hoping that it goes out to Legendary (a studio kinda under the WB umbrella) since they’ve done some great Scifi stuff in the last couple of years and they seem to be turning into that niche kind of studio.

Anyway I’d bee thrilled to death to get a Pern movie. I’ve been waiting years and years for this! There was an old computer game back in the early 80s I think and so did Sega Dreamcast in the 90s.
                Given how CGI tech has evolved (and I read at one time that was one of the hang ups) we should get a decent movie.

Of course even though its been optioned, it doesn’t mean that it’ll get made
                Guess we all gotta wait and see and cross fingers and toes ๐Ÿ™‚

Copper83
                Participant

After the making of Avatar, I think they could do an awesome job with Dragonriders of Pern.

Nina
                  Participant

I remember reading somewhere that HBO was looking into turning it into a TV show after the success of Game of Thrones but that might have just been rumors. I would so love to see the books as movies with a good budget & a good cast, & writers. So many books have failed as movies that it worries me, they better get it right!

Unless they wrote a stand-alone script?
                    Either way, very exciting!

I heard that with eragon, paolini peiced together the original script, but that the director did not like it and rewrote most of it. I am not sure how true it is, but the director slaughtered the actual story line. It proabably has to deal with how the original contracts were written out for the creation and run of the script.

I hope they do much better with this pern. I love the pern novels and would love to see this!

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                    www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                    Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.