fbpx

attempt at color shift foo puppy, any tips?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody attempt at color shift foo puppy, any tips?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi Melody, I got a Foo pup and going to buy Blue/green or Pink/blue chemeleon brand color shift paint. the foo will have colorshift flames on his back and legs. Then will be black with gold/copper accents (fur, neck, tail, and back fur) any tips before I should start? Any ideas? I don’t wanna mess up on him Lol. But to get the full effect of the color shift, I will have to paint the foo entirely black, then spray on the color shift, do my details and then clear coat it for the full effect.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

I’m not Melody, but I just wanted to let you know… I’ve worked with color shift paints on PYO dragons before and the effect gets more subtle the smaller the surface is. It won’t hurt anything to try, but the cool color shifting may not be very apparent on small parts of a wee foo pup. I am not trying to discourage you– it could look neat!– but I just don’t want you to feel disappointed, especially if you are buying the very pricey chameleon brand paints! They look best on large, smooth surfaces, especially surfaces that get struck by strong directional lighting such as sunlight or showroom lighting.

Again I am not trying to discourage you! Please do what you want and have fun, that’s the whole point! 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

SilverDragon
      Participant

curious, where did you get the paint from?? 🙂

Author of “Moonlight Walkers” book and artist for the Trail of Painted Ponies Co.
        Follow for updates: twitter.com/cmooreauthor

No worries! ur not discouraging me 🙂 I’m glad you gave me ur opinion, gives me something to think about. Yeah they are expensive, pre mixed kits are $24.99 at O’reily autoparts. I’m going to give it a whirl, if it doesn’t work out, I might buy two shades of blue metallic acrylic paint and make the flames on him. Thank u so much! 😀

I haven’t gotten it yet, but O’reily autoparts has pre mixed kits of different color shift paints. The guy told me that they are $24.99. And I have no clue how big or small the spray can is Lol! I might stop in there and check them out and see what colors they have.

Melody
        Keymaster

Hi Melody, I got a Foo pup and going to buy Blue/green or Pink/blue chemeleon brand color shift paint. the foo will have colorshift flames on his back and legs. Then will be black with gold/copper accents (fur, neck, tail, and back fur) any tips before I should start? Any ideas? I don’t wanna mess up on him Lol. But to get the full effect of the color shift, I will have to paint the foo entirely black, then spray on the color shift, do my details and then clear coat it for the full effect.

I have had success using the color shift emerald/ fushia paint over a black base. I haven’t used the colors you have mentioned, but I know the different colors vary in the effectiveness of the of the color shift quality. The light you work under, and the shape of the piece makes a huge difference in how the piece will appear.
          I found that putting on thick coat of color shift paint is better than a thin coat. Use the highest gloss clear coat you can find. Duller finishes diminish the effect.
          Color shift paint really looks its best out in direct sunlight.

Awesome, I’m going to see if they will have that color when I go to O’reily. I’m gonna make sure to give the foo multiple coats of the color shift paint too. I will look for super high gloss spray as well, thank u Melody! I am going to do this without feeling wishy washy. I just know that from what Jennifer said, color shift works better on smooth surfaces than bumpy tiny sculptures. All in all, when he is done, I will post a picture of him on a new thread if it works.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.