fbpx

ARG!! eBay seller being cagey? RESOLVED

Home Forums Miscellany Community ARG!! eBay seller being cagey? RESOLVED

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Has anyone heard of a seller claiming that “Paypal is having trouble getting the money into my account…?”

What happened is the seller who I won an emp from (off of eBay) finally responds to my messages a week later and tells me this. Meanwhile Paypal is showing the money went through, AND the charge is on my card.

So what gives? Is he giving me a bunch of baloney or is this actually possible?

I’m JUST a tad irked that after paying $35 for priority he has the nerve to tell me a week after paying him that the money is supposedly not in his account yet. I don’t like to jump to conclusions but this does sound a TAD suspicious. 👿

Skigod377
    Participant

I’ve had it take several days for it to post to my account, but never any ‘problems.’ Maybe his problem is he hasnt gone to the post office. 😀

NirvanaCat13
      Participant

If it has already been charged to your account, then the money is already transfered. If there is an issue with it going to his account, I won’t actualy post to your card. I’d send him a message back saying that the money posted from your card account on xx/xx/xxxx date and if he’s having trouble he needs to call Paypal and get it resolved (they will take care of it immediately) also I would call paypal and talk to them about this transaction. It does seem really fishy and my bet is that he’s scamming you, however, give him the benifit of the doubt, but be VERY clear about when you expect to hear from him and let him know that if he doesn’t follow through you’re going to try and get your money back. Luckily if he doesn’t come through, you can get your credit card to fully refund the transaction. Don’t go through Paypal, it takes to long and they get stupid with it. Put the claim through your card and file a report for suspicious behavior with both paypal and eBay.

Rusti
        Participant

What is the seller’s feedback rating (how many feedback has he got total?)

Back in February, the last time I sold a Windstone on ebay, Paypal smacked me with a 21 day hold policy (21 days until I could get my money unless I put DC or tracking on the package and PP confirmed it delivered or I got positive feedback on it). As far as I know this policy is still in effect, which is why I’m super reluctant to sell on ebay anymore.

If this is the case for your seller, it will look for all the world to you like you paid him, the money is gone, but PP is holding onto it. It will show he has a hold in his account, but the funds won’t be available to him.

NirvanaCat13
          Participant

Rusti wrote:

What is the seller’s feedback rating (how many feedback has he got total?)

Back in February, the last time I sold a Windstone on ebay, Paypal smacked me with a 21 day hold policy (21 days until I could get my money unless I put DC or tracking on the package and PP confirmed it delivered or I got positive feedback on it). As far as I know this policy is still in effect, which is why I’m super reluctant to sell on ebay anymore.

If this is the case for your seller, it will look for all the world to you like you paid him, the money is gone, but PP is holding onto it. It will show he has a hold in his account, but the funds won’t be available to him.

Oh now THAT’s a dirty trick…. 😡 😡 I didn’t know about that one….Either way it’s an issue that the seller has to resolve and he needs to not keep procrastinating on it….

Lokie
            Participant

Like already mentioned, it’s probably the 21 day hold. The seller is still expected to ship the item; one reason for the hold is so Paypal can more easily get a charge back if there is a dispute/claim from the buyer.

I understand a seller being upset about this hold (I so could join the rant). However, withholding shipping until the fund release circumvents the intended protection a hold gives and probably will get sellers a negative feedback or an Ebay/Paypal dispute, both resulting in continued 21 day holds.

I have no idea if this seller is just unaware of this rule, or intentionally delaying, but I’d inform them about the rule and ask them to ship immediately.

machineguts
              Participant

I’ve never had any trouble receiving money from a buyer via PayPal, but I have had trouble getting money to transfer to a seller before. Thankfully that has only happened a few times, and when it did the issue involved my bank, not solely PayPal alone.

PhoenixTears
                Participant

Sorry this is happening to you. Ebay has become such a confusing place. I haven’t used it in so long but hearing all these new rules you are all discussing is disheartening. Makes me want to stay away from the whole thing altogether.

Do I understand correctly that even that even id you have delivery confirmation and or tracking, a a seller you still will not receive payment for 21 days as some sort of buyer protection? Seems to me by some of these newer rules, it helps one end of the transaction out but can hurt, at the very least annoy, the other party. Waiting almost a month to see money for a piece you’ve sold. And now it seems you’re forced to use PayPal only- no more checks or money orders.

If there were a way for Ebay to discern what sellers have such great feedback (and all the star ratings too), perhaps they could be exempt from that 21 day rule. They didn’t get great feedback for being shady. And if not, rules and notices need to be more clear so that what is happening here doesn’t happen all the time. An honest buyer sending money and the seller not seeing it and then thinking said buyer is pulling one over when that is obviously not the truth. Instead of making things easier, it seems Ebay has made some things more difficult.

Hope this works out for you and the headache is soon gone.

“Fate whispers to the wolf, you cannot withstand the storm; and the wolf whispers back, I AM the storm.”

machineguts
                  Participant

eBay has certainly undergone a lot of changes over the past year!

Lokie
                    Participant

Sway (and anyone else curious), I found this website, which lists hold details for any questions. And I found this on the forum:

Kachina wrote:

From Paypal:

Policy for payment holds for eBay items

——————————————————————————–

What is a payment hold for eBay items?
                      It is a hold that PayPal places on a payment you receive for an item you sold on eBay. The amounts held will be shown as “Pending” in your PayPal account. You still have access to all other funds in your PayPal account.

Why are my payments being held?
                      Payment holds for eBay items are an effort to increase marketplace safety. We hold payments when we suspect a transaction may be risky. Here are the most common instances in which an eBay item payment may be held:

You have been an eBay member for less than 6 months, and you sell an item for more than $100
                      You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, and you sell an item for more than $100
                      You have a buyer dissatisfaction percentage* greater than 5%
                      You have an average DSR of less than 4.5
                      You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months
                      You are listing your item in a high-risk category such as gift certificates, video games, cell phones, computers, or consumer electronics.

When will PayPal release the hold?
                      Your funds will be released when one of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback
                      3 days pass after proof the item was delivered**
                      21 days pass without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on the transaction

We may hold the funds longer if your buyer files a dispute, claim, chargeback, reversal or has otherwise taken action to dispute the transaction.

Learn more about the PayPal policy for payment holds for eBay items.

* Buyer dissatisfaction percentage is measured by adding negative events as a percentage of your transactions. Negative events include negative & neutral Feedback, Detailed Seller Ratings scores of 2 or less, and Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described disputes.

** This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. If a payment is being held, it will be shown as “Pending” in your PayPal account until it is released.

I had no idea about that 21 day rule or I would not have purchased from him! He IS a new seller with a low rating (only 3) so it makes sense now! These “rules” Paypal has is infuriating. This means the seller basically has to mail his package before his funds go through, but he doesn’t realize he WILL get the money it’s just when I leave a positive feedback he will get it. But he has to wait, and I’m sure some new sellers won’t understand this policy and hold the item until they get the funds…which they won’t until Paypal sees I got the item with a positive feedback 👿 😡

UNGH. So I sent another message to the seller explaining this and hopefully he’ll understand this 21 day thing, call Paypal to confirm it, then mail the package.

Rusti
                      Participant

Yeah, the 21 day hold really upset me at that point in time as I sold the dragon because I needed that money right away so I could pay my rent! Fortunately I had a cooperative buyer who was more than happy to immediately leave me positive feedback the moment she received her dragon so I could call paypal and get the funds released.

They don’t even release the shipping portion to you, they hold it all. Had I the time or the inclination at that moment I might have called Paypal and been tetchy about it, as I was pretty unhappy to be shipping an item when I didn’t even have my money yet. And I question the legality of the matter, to be honest, it all seems like a ploy for them to gather more interest.

But yes, explain to the seller what’s going on, and if your emp is in good condition when you receive, you can leave positive feed back asap so he can get his funds released.

Skigod377
                        Participant

How can they hold the money till you leave feedback? What if you never do??

Pegasi1978
                          Participant

After 21 days it would be released to the sellers account.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.