fbpx

Antiquing Gel?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I have been to JoAnne’s, and Walmart, and they don’t carry any kind of antiquing gel. Car issues keep me from getting much farther from the house, so I suppose the question now becomes, anyone know where I could find some online? I looked on ebay, and only found varish stains. Or, anyone wanna mail some *wink* Thanks. I’d really love to try it, just can’t seem to get my paws on it. There is a slim chance next week I’ll be near another craft store, and I’ll look there but I want to find somewhere non-car-reliable. Since my car isn’t reliable hee hee.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

This is my favorite antiquing gel!

Link to Decoart Antiquing Gel

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Pegasi1978
      Participant

I’ve actually found the Decoart Antiquing Gel that Jennifer likes at AC Moore if you have one near you. I have one bottle open and recently picked up a second one that I havne’t opened yet. It’s very easy to use.

BDW
        Participant

I have some and could mail it to you on friday if you want.

You guys are great. I have a couple PM’s about mailing me some too ๐Ÿ˜€

I will try the link provided first in the morning, ordered 3 bottles but don’t have my visa handy (so spoiled with paypal). So when it gets here, i’m sure I’ll be posting “what did I do wrong” threads ๐Ÿ˜ฏ hee hee.

Jasmine
          Participant

Can I ask what the difference between using this as opposed to just using a dark acrylic paint to stain? I’m starting my first PYO’s and I will eventually want to stain then but I can’t find any antiquing stains here either.

Jasmine wrote:

Can I ask what the difference between using this as opposed to just using a dark acrylic paint to stain? I’m starting my first PYO’s and I will eventually want to stain then but I can’t find any antiquing stains here either.

The Micheals near me sells them. I don’t know the difference since I don’t use it.

Jasmine
            Participant

I’m really surprised that Curry’s doesn’t carry it. They carry just about everything else under the sun, art supplies wise.

I found a bottle in a box of paints I bought about 6 months ago or so (during yard sale season). But i have to wonder if it’s the right stuff?? It’s brown, and THICK. I did try some, and on white, it’s really nice, but on other colors, you can’t even hardly see it. I’m still going to just order some as I want to do colors other than white, but I’m just wondering if this seams like what the consistency of the paints will be once gel is added.

Pegasi1978
              Participant

The Decoart Antiquing Gel is clear(ish), thick and you mix whatever color paint you want to antique with in it (1:1 ratio).

Jennifer
                Keymaster

bluepony78 wrote:

I found a bottle in a box of paints I bought about 6 months ago or so (during yard sale season). But i have to wonder if it’s the right stuff?? It’s brown, and THICK. I did try some, and on white, it’s really nice, but on other colors, you can’t even hardly see it. I’m still going to just order some as I want to do colors other than white, but I’m just wondering if this seams like what the consistency of the paints will be once gel is added.

Yep!! It should be nearly clearish brownish and very thick. That’s why it’s a gel. You are supposed to mix it with the paint color that you want to antique with (which is what makes it so versatile). Using it by itself is kinda silly. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jasmine wrote:

Acrylic by itself dries very rapidly and once it dries, it’s on there pretty much permanantly. The gel is something you mix with your acrylic paint to make it:
                  + slow to dry, so you have time to wipe it off of the areas you don’t want it,
                  + thick, so it sticks well in the crevices and doesn’t run out or pool, and
                  + remains able to be ‘lifted’ off of the PYO for longer than acrylic by itself so that if you make a mistake or get messy (like me) you can fix it before its permanent. ๐Ÿ™‚

You CAN antique with just acrylic if you are fast and confident. I’m messy and slow so I use the gel. It’s really really inexpensive so for my $1.50 I can antique many many pieces without the stress of goofing up my paint job.

Hope that helps!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Jasmine
                  Participant

Thanks Nam, I’ll have to try and make a run to Michael’s and see if I can find it there.

lamortefille
                    Participant

That’s very helpful info, Nam. Thanks for posting it. Do you use the Decoart that peg mentioned, or another brand?

Pegasi1978
                      Participant

I use the same Decoart Gel that Jennifer originally mentioned in the PYO FAQ thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.