fbpx

Another Forum Newbie (super tl;dr, I'm sorry)

Home Forums Miscellany Introductory and Welcoming Area Another Forum Newbie (super tl;dr, I'm sorry)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Participant

Hi there. Another newbie joining the fray today. My name is Lauren, but you can call me Gil if you want. I’m 26 and I’m from the US but currently living in Japan. I actually just made an account with the site this morning after I saw the blue morpho hatchlings went on sale, and I knew I had to snag one before they were all gone. But even though I’m new here to the forums, I’m not new to M. Pena’s work.

I started collecting Windstone sculptures when I was in middle school (so about… 14 years ago?). My first ever was a peacock dragon that I found in a store in the mall that sold tobacco and pipes of all things. (I think it was actually called the Tobacco Shoppe? And if my understanding is correct, it’s no longer painted in exactly the same shade anymore.) I remember begging my mother for it several times before she gave in, and it’s always sat on my dresser in a place where I can admire it ever since. He’s unfortunately a bit banged up after a number of moves (there’s a chip of paint off the front of his nose) but I still love him dearly. I also collected one or two other small pieces from Windstone, but nothing that fancy ever again before the store closed. Between that and having moved away, I didn’t know for many years if Windstones still even existed, thinking it had just been a small thing associated only with that one store.

Around the time I was in college I somehow found out that Windstone was still around and doing well and producing many more pieces than I’d ever known before. I think that was when I stumbled on the website. I think I must have also found a place selling some of the figures, because I bought a baby unicorn and a young dragon in black violet but I’ve never been registered to the site. Now that I’m an adult and employed with my own source of income, I can finally start collecting the way I’ve always wanted to, and the blue morpho is going to be the first step in this endeavor, but it’s kind of a weird situation as I am living abroad for work and having all of my figurines shipped to my permanent US address.

Anyway, it’s really nice to be here. Also, I’m not sure if anyone on here is also a member or not, but I also play the dragon/pet sim game FlightRising as well and I’d love to make any mutual Pena fans a friend there as well. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s nice to meet you!

Lauren
      Participant

Ah, I can’t seem to find the edit button, but I remembered where I bought the new pieces I got during college. My alma mater has a science fiction / fantasy con every year in the spring, and one of the dealers one year had a number of Pena pieces with them. I was so thrilled to rediscover their existence!

Kim
        Blocked

Hi Lauren. Welcome to the forum. I just turned 31 myself! I think a lot of us on here can relate to getting or wanting one of these dragons when we were young and then not being able to afford to collect them until we were older. I got my first peacock fledgling dragon from a local gift shop when I was probably 13 years old and got a couple other dragons years later. It wasn’t until maybe 2 years ago I thought to look these back up on ebay and then found this website and now I have a lot more cute creatures that have outgrown my curio cabinet. It’s a nice sized collection I never thought I would have. Are you in Japan for work and what do you do? How do you like it there and how long are you there for til you get to see your pieces shipped to the U.S.? I love traveling and would love to visit there someday, as well as see the rest of the world!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Lauren
          Participant

Oh, that sounds lovely. I still only have but the few pieces, but maybe someday I’ll have a sizeable collection like yours! I’m really interested in getting my hands on some kirin and oriental dragons in particular, as well as some of the fascinating test paints, but they’re all more expensive and/or out of stock so I guess I’ll have to be patient.

I’ve been living in Japan for almost four years now, working as an assistant language teacher at local middle schools. I’m contracted until next July, so in total by the time I’m finished I’ll have been here for five years. I like it here well enough, but I think it’s time for a change, both in career and living situation, and I miss my family and friends back home. Every other year I’ve taken a trip home around Christmas time, but I think this year I will either spend my winter vacation in Japan or traveling to some other foreign country I’ve never been to, so seeing my collection in person will probably be part of my birthday/homecoming gift next year.

The country is lovely, and I highly recommend people visit it; don’t be scared off by people scared of radiation poisoning or whatever, I haven’t grown any gills or extra parts ;D I have done a lot of traveling since I came here and still I have only scratched the surface of the number of festivals, historical and famous sites as well as beautiful landmarks that there are to see. I suspect I could live my whole life here and still not get to them all. If you do come, be sure to come in either the fall or spring as the summer is too brutally hot to be walking around (and much tourism in Japan involves walking places) and the winter also sees its extremes, and also be sure to take advantage of hostels and the train pass available to foreign tourists as it will save you a lot of money and trouble!

etruscan
            Participant

Welcome – and congrats on the Blue Morpho fledgling. I’m sure he will have lots of friends before very long.

In case you haven’t seen it yet, there is a “Flight Rising” thread in the Community section of the Forum so some people here are playing.

Lauren
              Participant

No, I hadn’t seen that yet! Thank you for the pointer. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll have to go see who’s about.

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

Welcome! You’ll come to find the community here is really great! I have always wanted to visit Japan! So cool!

If you ever need pointers on possibly fixing up your banged up dragon I can give you some pointers. I’ve fixed over 100 Windstones already and I can give you some tips if you ever want to tackle fixing him up!

I do know a few members here play Flight Rising! You’ll fit right in ^_^

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Chloe
                  Participant

Welcome to the forum! I hope you have a wonderful time here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lauren
                    Participant

Welcome! You’ll come to find the community here is really great! I have always wanted to visit Japan! So cool!

If you ever need pointers on possibly fixing up your banged up dragon I can give you some pointers. I’ve fixed over 100 Windstones already and I can give you some tips if you ever want to tackle fixing him up!

I do know a few members here play Flight Rising! You’ll fit right in ^_^

I would love that, actually. Sadly I don’t have access to the little guy right now, so it’ll have to wait till I’m home about a year from now, but once I’m there I will definitely be interested in fixing it up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.