fbpx

Another breakage brought to you by: Ebay International Shipping Program (orange-eyed Emerald dragon)

Home Forums Windstone Editions Repairs Another breakage brought to you by: Ebay International Shipping Program (orange-eyed Emerald dragon)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rachelled
    Participant

Sigh. I nabbed an orange-eyed male Emerald dragon a ways back, thinking maybe one day I could get the mother as a mate.

All he had were a couple of scuffs off his gold details, which are easy to fix, so I was happy to buy despite non-mint condition…

Ebay’s International Shipping Program strikes again! It arrived with about 2/3 of the packaging the seller described, and it was messily repackaged, not to mention the box was full of scuffs and bumps and obviously not very well treated ๐Ÿ™

Unsurprisingly by that point, this was in the box…

There was one small piece I was able to salvage, but the rest was DUST.

What’s even better is that, I forgot to take a photo, but a bunch his other horn is gone, too… Not quite so much as this side, though. Maybe only about a third of it.

I set it aside for months, disappointed.

I’ve finally gotten around to fixing it up, so here’s the horns;

(Whoops. The above photo was taken before I realized you can still see where the old piece was reattached. I sanded it down a bit and added a couple more layers of paint…)

Colour matching has been a pain in the BUTT so far… But I’m fairly happy with it. I’m so done with sculpting dragon ears, though. :

He still needs gold highlights, so the paint looks less matte. As well as gold-pen detailing. I noticed a chip on his tail that I didn’t before, too.

I’ll post progress later… I think the most time consuming/frustrating parts are finally over, so I wanted to post.

So much trouble over something that was supposed to just have a few scuffs ๐Ÿ™

rachelled
      Participant

Oh, a question also – The more photos I take of him, the more I start to notice tiny “scratch” marks (mostly on his back spikes, nearest to his wings, you can see them in the photo). Most of them are not visible to my eye without being under the camera’s flash.

Any idea what this is? Light crazing? General scuffing?

Additionally, any possibility I could buff it out, or is it not worth it considering they are generally hard to see?

Kim
        Blocked

Wow, did you re-sculpt all that? You did a really good job! I am not sure about the scratches. Do they look like the paint is scratched or the finish? If it’s the finish, you could probably just buff it or varnish it but if it’s the paint, you might have to try matching the paint to it too or just leave it if it’s too much work. I also tend to notice details in pictures I don’t see in person but I would say if it doesn’t show up in person, not to worry too much unless it really bothers you.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Zelda
          Participant

Great job with the repair! I see those cracks on a few of my pieces too, I do believe it’s very light crazing and is present in the clearcoat of the pieces. I haven’t done anything to try and remedy it because I’m too worried I would mess it up ๐Ÿ˜€

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

rachelled
            Participant

Wow, did you re-sculpt all that?

I did, thank you! He’s almost done now, I was really putting off the gold on his horns (not the highlights – the transparent gold coat on top of green). I just have to remember to upload photos next time I’m on my phone.

rachelled
              Participant

Great job with the repair! I see those cracks on a few of my pieces too, I do believe it’s very light crazing and is present in the clearcoat of the pieces. I haven’t done anything to try and remedy it because I’m too worried I would mess it up ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you! And that is a relief – I don’t think you can see it unless it’s under the flash, and even then very close up, so I don’t imagine it’ll matter in the long run. I was mostly wondering if it was something to be concerned about!

Angelika_Zen
                Participant

Oh my gosh! If it wasnt for the lack of gold highlights, I could not tell the difference! How do you guys do that?!?!?! I wish I was arts and crafty!

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Nightcrow
                  Participant

Wow, he looks great! I can hardly believe that you freehand-sculpted the missing bits; they look perfect! Awesome job. The new paint matches very well, too!

Good luck with applying the gold!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.